WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Buckley Arms Hotel

Buckley Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dinas Mawddwy
London, United Kingdom
“Snowdonian Jewel (wrongly named here!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

First - this Hotel is wrongly named on Tripadvisor! It was built as the Buckley Arms Hotel in 1874 and is still so called, NOT the Buckley Pines.

Seldom have I found a country Hotel (or a city one for that matter) in which the housekeeping is to such a high standard. Everything shines in the rooms some of which have fine views. Our group of four received a warm welcome from the lady proprietor who showed us to our rooms - all named rather than numbered. We dined well in the cosy bar which has a good wine list and afterwards were we delighted to find that Armagnac was available - a rarity nowadays in London restaurants, let alone in the Welsh hinterland.

An excellent stopping place if passing through Snowdonia, touring, walking or, I expect fishing, as there;s lots of water about

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have the best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RichardSS39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had a cool welcome from the lady owner who went on to tell us that there was nothing in the village and nothing in nearby Dolgellau. Our room was large and clean, as was the bathroom, however there was noise from traffic during the night and the bed was most uncomfortable. The food was excellent and we were served at breakfast by a very helpful and pleasant lady, we had the same good service from the evening waitresses. Our disappointment was with the lady owner who was mostly abrupt with us and came over as frosty to say the least. Would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

It is nice to have such a friendly welcome by the owner. Stayed just the one night as part of a weekend tour of Wales, although I know the area well. This is a lovely spot with lots of great walks. Great views from the dinning room over breakfast. They kept the bar open for us to recover after a late night with a breakdown. The rooms have a nice feel of individuality and luxury. My only two points of negative feedback would be the exterior decoration and towels when painted and bigger luxury towels it would push my review into Excellent. I will go back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in August 2012 - it's now called the Buckley Arms, by the way. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels but I can honestly say that this is one of the best. The welcome from the owners is genuine and warm; all the staff go out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Our room (Dyfi, with twin beds) was comfortable and spacious with one of the biggest bathrooms I have ever seen (it has separate shower and bathtub). We had a television and tea/coffee making facilities too. The wifi worked well and is free - there's even a choice of two hubs to log onto depending on the signal strength! The view of the river Dyfi, the rolling hills, mountains and sheep was stunning! We had an excellent meal in the bistro which wasn't too expensive either; I had the Welsh lamb, which was from a local supplier. Breakfast (£5 each) was enormous and superb value for money. Where else would you get this for just £90 per night for two people in such a good hotel? The Buckley Arms sets a standard of excellence which other hotels would do well to emulate - I have paid double the price elsewhere and not had such a good experience. Visitors might like to book a room at the back as we did - the road outside can be quite busy. And there is no mobile/cellphone reception at times. We shall certainly go back for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elcoronel
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I feel really cozy when arrived at the hotel. A staff (would be the owner) is very welcome and kindness. I stayed in "Aran" room for one night. The room is quite big area with high ceiling. The amenities in the bathroom are not luxury as I expect but it is acceptable. I had dinner in a hotel pub, it might be my misunderstanding that there is lamb steak in special menu. So, I ordered lamb chop cooked in medium, but I got a lamb shank. I just asked a chef if I can change it to be sirloin steak, she is very helpful and kindness to change it. However, I feel really tired from driving that day, I said to her that I would like to try this menu. It is very nice!!

In the morning, during breakfast time I was asked by the staff again about my incorrect service in previous night. She just does not want me to get in trouble during stay in the hotel. I feel really appreciate in customer care of this place.

I really recommend for this hotel if you like a calm place with a very good atmosphere and scenery of mountain and river.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst working in the area.
I enjoyed a lovely evening meal and cooked breakfast the following day
The owner was lovely and I was made to feel very welcome. My room was warm and clean and there was plenty of hot water. I would definately stay here again as the hotel is really nice and in a great location, it's just a beautiful place in Wales. I was happy with the prie and felt it was good value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Had a couple of night's here and had such a great time, a great welcome very helpful and outstanding food they WILL be seeing us again.
Great location and views

#2 of 3 in Machynlleth
Y Meirionnydd
Y Meirionnydd
#1 of 3 in Dolgellau

Been to Buckley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!