“Worst reception from a manageress ever in the 14 years I've been walking the WHW”
Review of Inveroran Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridge of Orchy
Inveroran Hotel
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Please do yourself a favour and stay either at Stance Cottage or Bridge of Orchy Hotel as this is the worst hotel I have stayed in anywhere along the way. The only plus was leaving!
My sister and I had walked 22 miles that day, we were tired and hungry only to be TOLD by the owner that we were too late to order food from the dining room as it takes 45 minutes to cook the chicken we had requested.....this was at 6.50pm and the kitchen closed at 7.30pm.

1. Why was I not told this when I booked?
2. Why, when the owner phoned me at 6.15pm to ask me how long we were going to be did she
not offer to prepare the food for us so that it was ready on our arrival?

What resulted was both my sister and I ate meals we really would rather not have had as when the owner realised she had upset us had the audacity to say "well I suppose I could let you have the chicken but it would mean me putting off work I was going to do"
Most establishments along the way serve food until 9pm, and while enjoying a drink in the very welcoming bar at beinglas farm, inverarnan we witnessed some weary walkers arriving at 10.30pm who when asked if it was too late for food were warmly told the kitchen was closed but they would happily make them something to eat as they'd obviously had a long day, now that's a lesson in customer service that Inveroran hotel should learn!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank GreenockCharlie

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We arrived at 1.30 after an easy 10 miles on the West Highland Way. We were told rather abruptly that our room wasn't going to be available til 2pm so we didn't feel very welcome. Having to say which of the 2 dinner sittings we wanted and to chose our menu on arrival didn't help either.
The room was small but clean and had everything we needed.
Dinner was dire - the food was fine but my wife and I were all alone in one of the 2 small dining rooms, whilst a few other couples were spread out in the other one. We raised this with the waitress who was sympathetic but said she was not in charge of seating !! After dinner and a drink in the bar we saw another couple in exactly the same position.
We were not alone at breakfast which gave us the opportunity to catch up with our fellow guests and walkers and there was smoked haddock - a nice change from the usual sausage egg and bacon.
Not only did we meet Daisy, the "house" deer but as we left the next morning we saw our only herd of deer on the whole walk !!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Remote location on the West Highland Way (you can reach it either by foot (a couple or more (!) km from Bridge of Orchy or ask the hosts to pick you up from Bridge of Orchy train station). Accomodation is basic (though quite OK if you are a West Highland Way walker) and you are advised not to open the windows during the midges season. Full Scottisch Breakfast in the morning, packed lunches available. Beautiful surroundings and a nice place to start walking the last bit of the WHW!

No wi-fi and practically no mobile reception in the hotel, so it's really remote!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank V0lta
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Really disappointing visit to the Inveroran Hotel. As the place has so much history I was really looking forward to visiting the hotel and made arrangements to take time out of my journey to do so. When we arrived the exterior lived up to my expectations but they came crashing back down to earth as soon as we stepped in. The place was deserted with no staff to welcome us and the foosty interior was matched with a musty smell. Toilets were filthy. Despite all this we decided to pop into the bar. I said hello to the barmaid and was stared at but not replied to. The atmosphere in the bar was far from welcoming so we decided to leave. We met a group of French tourists on the road back who were making their way there. Later on we met them again in the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. They were of the same opinion of us that Inveroran Hotel falls well short of expectations. I'd recommend to avoid at all costs. Very, very poor.

Room Tip: Try Bridge of Orchy Hotel instead!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GlaschuGael
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The only hotel in the area on the West Highland Way (except for the Bridge of Orchy hotel). Which is probably the reason they can afford not to update the rooms.
Reasonably but not overly friendly staff. Tiny rooms, tiny bathrooms. Old beds & mattrasses, old plumbing. You have to keep the windows closed to keep the midgies out. The only bright spark of our visit is the quality of the food. Real restaurant quality, freshly prepared by a knowledgable chef it seems. But all things considered you may be better of at Bridge of Orchy. REALLY needs an update of the rooms and bathrooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbrouwer_nl
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our most expensive accommodation on the West Highland Way and the weakest offering by far. The room we had was large but not particularly well-appointed, e.g. insecure bed headboards, pokey bathroom with dirty window, and old TV. The dinner was poor quality - e.g. bland vegetables, half-cooked. Service seemed on the weak side. Some of the staff were friendly enough but overall the offering was less than expected at this price. Our impression was that this hotel, because it is the only one in the vicinity, can get away with weaker service than B&Bs in more populated areas. If doing this route again, we would rather try Bridge of Orchy or Kingshouse. A shame as the location is stunning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christabel38
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Day 4 of The West Highland Way.
I was booked in here through Contours walking holidays whilst walking The Way, I, like most people checked Trip Advisor prior to arriving and thought "Oh dear have I made an error, looking at some reports I thought I had".
I could not have been more wrong !, I received a warm friendly welcome from all the staff I came in contact with.
The staff could not do enough to help, even asking if my feet were aching.
My room was a bit on the small side, but had everything I needed in it, a shared bathroom, but only shared with one other room.
The evening meal was delicious, I had chicken wrapped in smoked bacon with veg and potatoes, very nice, hot and full of flavour.
Breakfast was equally delicious and filling, a good start to a long wet day.
Overall, the place was good value and the staff were brilliant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
#1 of 3 in Bridge of Orchy
Allt-na-Leven
Allt-na-Leven
#1 of 9 in Kinlochleven

Been to Inveroran Hotel? Share your experiences!