“A Missed Opportunity on two fronts :(”

Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Auldgirth
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I booked this hotel for next weekend, as it looked fantastic and i was prepared to overlook the reviews that said some of the rooms were tired decoratively. We were really looking forward to a romantic couple of nights. The following day I received a call advising that they were sorry but there had been a double booking, and instead of two nights, they could only offer me one. They asked if I could let them know if I wanted to keep the booking for one night or cancel. They did apologise, but basically the message was a mistake was made and there was nothing they could do.

The following day i cancelled the booking.

This may be a great hotel, but I am disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to turn a mistake into an opportunity. If they had said we are really sorry, but have dinner on us. or we can offer you a two night stay at a later date with £50 pounds off then they may have retained a booking and i would have sung their praises, but the impression given was that they didn't give a monkeys that they had ruined my plans.

I hope they take this criticism constructively. Look after your customers and they will look after you.

7  Thank Grant N
There are newer reviews for Friars Carse Country House Hotel

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Lovely quiet hotel in lovely grounds. If you're looking for a riotous weekend then this is not for you. My husband and I were there for a relaxing weekend and that's what we got. My only gripes would be that the main sitting area and bar which was lovely with an open log fire, was extremely quiet to the point that everyone spoke in whispers. We did ask for some music to be put on to lighten the atmosphere which the staff did but it was very low and not really very cheery, we ended up retreating to our room to have our drinks there. We were in the Pine room which was quite large with a super king bed and a single. The bathroom looked as if it had recently been renovated but the mixer shower was very difficult to control the temperature, but all in all a lovely stay for us, the staff were all friendly too.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed 2 nights as part of a KGB deal. Our first view was in early evening and the house was floodlight, a very good first impression. The grounds are lovely for a walk by the river. Our corner standard room, on the second floor was spacious and clean with a lovely view down to the river and another view looking out on a turret. The public areas had lots of character.
The breakfasts were excellent, plenty of choice of cooked items. We also had a 'lounge snack' sat by the beautiful fire.
The staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive.
Would love to stay here again.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I went here on a Travelzoo deal for a quick break and weren't disappointed. The Hotel is very attractive to look at and set in lovely parkland next to the R. Nith. Our room (Oak) was large and had a fantastic view from the big bay windows over the park. It was very clean and comfy although the 2 chairs were slightly worn. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Both breakfast and evening meals were delicious and I felt we got really good value for our money. The hotel is out in the countryside so you do need a car but that didn't worry us.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We took American visitors down from Paisley to visit Burns House in Dumfries and on our return visited Friars Carse Hotel because of its Robert Burns connections. The entrance drive is very grand with indications of masses of clumps of now passed Snowdrops but also evidence of hosts of imminent golden Daffodils. From the hotel's entrance there is a good view of the nearby River Nith. A large pot of excellent coffee for three and a teapot and hot water for two was provided in the baronial hall, partaken from luxurious leather couches and all for the modest cost of £12.50. The staff were friendly and efficient. Two of our party then took the short walk up to the Hermitage where Burns wrote two of his well known poems. Must check prices for a weekend stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank granPaisley
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed as part of a 2 night Red Letter Day. The building and surroundings were beautiful however the room we stayed in (Ash) was in some dire need of maintenance. The toilet roll holding was hanging off (we fixed it ourselves with a few turns to tighten it up!), the mattress was hard and so worn through that I could feel the springs digging into my hips when I turned over, the wallpaper was not stuck down in some places so the room looked very shoddy. Our room was probably the only one that didn't have a view - the window faced directly at a wall of another part of the building. There was a good selection at breakfast however on the first day we had to ask for butter and a side plate - these should have been on the table already. My husband also asked for brown sauce that never materialised. On the second day I ordered smoked haddock but the fish was so overcooked it was practically inedible! On check out the receptionist asked us to pay the bill which I said I had already done as it was a Red Letter Day. He said that's not what it said on the system but then produced the Red Letter from another drawer - surely this should have been noted on the system already?
My husband and I have stayed in alot of B &Bs and hotels however the service and room at this hotel left alot to be desired.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Ash room.
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our second stay at Friars Carse, this time just for myself & my wife over a weekend. We were greeted as old friends, and made to feel very welcome. Our room (Oak) had fantastic views out over the fields, as well as a 4 poster bed.
The food was excellent, with a daily changing menu, which was a nice touch. Service was attentive, yet unobtrusive, which is difficult to do.
As I say, our second stay, but I'm sure it won't be our last.

Room Tip: A room at the front will get you views of the river
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auldgirth
Holiday Inn Dumfries
Trigony House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Closeburn
Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel

Been to Friars Carse Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!