“Spoiled Mother's Day Lunch”

Erskine Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Erskine
Scotland
“Spoiled Mother's Day Lunch”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a Mother's Day Carvery lunch and was extremely disappointed, didn't really like the look of all the fatty cuts of meat so asked the chef if I could have the Macaroni Cheese, which was also on the carvery instead. Was told in a very cheeky tone that NO THATS FOR KIDS ONLY. So returned to my seat with a plate of carrots and potatoes instead. Decided to let the kids have a go in the bouncy castle and it was overrun with rowdy and aggressive kids. They were older kids and they were pushing all the younger kids around whilst their parents were drinking at the bar round the corner.

I asked the lady at reception if the hotel ever supervised the children on the bouncy castle and was told "Naw, the parents are expected to" Which I am sure the hotel liability insurance would not cover if anything went wrong.

Overall it spoiled what was supposed to be a special day. We were thinking about booking for the Christmas day Carvery for all our family but after today we won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank James_and_Mandy
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on our Mothers Day Carvery. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your overall experience. We have tried to contact you to discuss some of the points brought to our attention via our facebook page however you have unfortunately declined this offer.

We served over 200 guests throughout the day and I was delighted with the comments we received.

We do however value your feedback and will always look to improve where possible.

Kind regards,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Polish first
Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Company booked me in for an overnite as it was only a couple of miles from my pick up. I was pleasantly surprised as I usually stop in small b n b's. The room was clean an comfy. Had a great view of the river. Bed was single but had a good nites sleep. Breakfast was very good buffet style so if your hungry. just go for it. Will deffo stay there again if needs must. Good value for money and Andy for the airport.

• Stayed February 2013
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the hotel. I am delighted to hear you found the hotel good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Fochabers, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were booked into the Normandy Hotel, a sister Hotel of the Erskine Bridge Hotel, for an overnight stay prior to a flight from Glasgow Airport and secure car parking for a week. There was a problem at the Normandy and we were transferred to Erskine Bridge Hotel. The receptionist was lovely, said she was expecting us and booked us in very efficiently. Our wake-up call was right on time. The room was comfortable, perhaps a bit too warm. The waiting staff at breakfast served us very smartly, the buffet was well stocked and the food good. The shuttle to take us to the airport was ready and waiting before the appointed time - all in all a very happy experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to accommodate you here at the Erskine Bridge Hotel & Spa. Thank you for your kind review a warm welcome awaits you on your return to the hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

my husband and myself booked into the erskine bridge hotel last sat, we had came down to go to a family gathering. we had not been in this hotel for years, and it was so sad to see this once lovely hotel so shabby.we got married in this hotel twenty four years ago. so know what l am talking about, when we arrived our room wasent ready. so we sat about waiting for said room. no one told us room was ready. but after one and a half hours we had to asked. the hotel was busy with darts teams. and deals from groupon. i asked about a treatment in spa and was told I could get nothing.we had afternoon tea while waiting. the sandwiches were nice. but the ginger bread had been cut in four pcs and was hard. on the menu it said scones and cakes. but all we got was stale ginger bread.we never complained because there was no staff. just one very stressed older woman.the room was okay. but the double bed was very small. breakfast in the morning was okay. but didnt have half the things you get for a scottish breakfast. but what got to me was how shabby everything was. paper off wall. and everwhere needed a lick off paint.reception couldnt care less. when we said. so we wont be back

Room Tip: just dont book this hotel. if you are looking for a wee bit luxury. its a dump.
1 Thank daniel28703
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry to hear you did not have an enjoyable stay. Would love to have the opportunity to go through some of the points you have raised to ensure a repeat simply does not happen.

Feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Erskine hotels

Lochgilphead, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Started with arrival at night... No footpath from car park to hotel and no street lighting either. This meant sharing the road with a taxi approaching the hotel and the driver sounding his horn as he was at my heels! Ignorant.. But with a footpath and lights this would have been avoided.
Room allocated was on 2nd floor directly opposite the lifts. Very noisy all evening. Went for a late night soak in the bath - not the biggest but adequate to Relax in (or at least I thought). Came out of the bath and was aware of a room card being used on my door. As it opened I forced it closed not knowing who was there or why. It turned out to be the night manager with two workmen. I was then accused of flooding the hotel and ignoring the door for ten minutes! Tried to explain that I had not heard the door (bearing in mind the constant noise of the lift opening / shutting, people getting out etc.) and that I had not flooded anywhere. Seemed that the plumbing was faulty and as a result water had leaked from the bath to floors below. Was interrogated to find out how long I had been in the bath and if I had fallen asleep! Cannot believe how this was dealt with and how I was somehow responsible for the flooding! Really simple to deal with - ring the room or my registered mobile number... Don't just try to enter the room.
Oh... And unlike their website claims... There is no Wi-Fi available in the rooms.
Very little sleep and total night ruined - would give this one a miss!!!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lifts and make sure the plumbing is okay!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review your feedback is welcomed. I have contacted you recently and would like the chance to speak to you so I can fully investigate the points you have raised.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Having just returned from a weekend at the Erskine Hotel, words cannot describe how disappointed we were! This was a weekend which was booked as a surprise for me by my husband. We have stayed at the Erskine Bridge Hotel on a number of occasions but not for a couple of years and were really looking forward to it. A few days before we left home he had a telephone call from the hotel asking if we were going to be stay there for the Darts competition!! Alarm bells maybe should have rung then - but she explained that their sister hotel - the Normandie - had a Darts competition and that some of the rooms at the Erksine had been booked for that as the Normandie was full but that some rooms had become available now at the Normandie. He explained that this was a birthday treat for me and she said that she would make a note of that. When we arrived, we were given a room on the 6th floor - which was OK - as they have lifts - albeit it shabby lifts - but they work. What a shock we got when the lift doors opened on the 6th floor - the walls of the corridor were painted in what can only be described as the most horrible shocking pink/peach colour. Our room was at the end of the corridor but I couldn't help think that if I had been someone who had consumed a large amount of alcohol, there is no way I would have made it to the room - the corridor is ghastly!! My husand had booked a double room and we were given a triple room - three twin beds! Two were kindly pushed together but one of them was 3 or 4 inches higher than the other!! He went straight back downstairs and asked for a double room only to be told that "he would be lucky to get a double room as the hotel was busy"!! A double room had been booked and paid for months ago and suddenly there weren't any available?? He seemed surprised we weren't satisified! We were given a double room on the second floor. The lift door opened and another shock - the walls this time were painted a bright teal colour!! Yeuch is the only word to describe this! The paintwork both on the 6th floor and the 2nd floor looked as though it had been painted by either an amateur decorator or nursery school children having a fun day out! However the room was pleasant and was one of the refurbished rooms. The toilet was immaculate and very fresh only spoiled by the old cream coloured chipped door which didn't close!! How can a hotel refurbish a room and put an old door back on??? Especially one that obviously had to have a bit shaved off the bottom to accommodate the new tiles but this means that the chipboard door now had splits in it!! I have to agree with other reviewers regarding the TV. Which hotel these days only provides channels 1 -5 on an old what could only be described as analogue TV!!! When hotels refurbish rooms, they refurbish everything - not just part of it. So the excuse from the Manager to another reviewer about they are planning the replacement is just rubbish!!!

The deal included an allowance of £18.95 for a meal in the Riverside Restaurant which we booked for 6.00 p.m. However, it was about 6.10 p.m. before anyone arrived to show us to our table - we were the only guests there at the time. Another 2 came in during the hour we were there. We chose the slow cooked beef with roasted vegetables and horseradish mash. When it came on a gigantic plate, there were 2 slices of beef, a small spoonful of mash and one carrot which had been cut up and 2 small squares of swede!! The beef was beautiful but let's face it, potatoes and vegetables are the cheapest part of a meal - one carrot and two square of swede??? All this for £14.95!! My husband had a sticky toffee apple crumble - which was actually a tart which tasted of Christmas mincemeat!! I had biscuits and cheese but there weren't enough crackers for the cheese!

Back in the room we settle down for what we hoped would be a good night's sleep - at 1.20 a.m. we were wakened by inconsiderate guests coming back to their rooms having a good laugh and shouting with each other. They then decided to have an all night party in one of the rooms which went on until 3.40 a.m. when the music started. I had had enough by then and phoned Reception who did send someone up and gave them a final warning although I think they were so drunk by that time they had no idea what she was talking about!! I realise that wasn't the fault of the hotel but at 3.40 a.m. I just wanted to go home!!! We didn't receive any apology either!

One of the things we have always liked about the Erskine was the buffet breakfast. So having had a very bad night and still feeling shattered we looked forward to this. Ok - where was everything? Obviously paying for the "refurbishment" of the corridors had to be paid from somewhere so cutting down on breakfast was obviously the answer. I felt even sorrier for anyone who only wanted a continental breakfast - apart from cereal, there were plain or strawberry yoghurts or slices of cheddar cheese which had been sitting uncovered for so long that the colour had changed and the cheese was now hard! Where was the haggis, black pudding, lorne sausage and mushrooms that we used to get?? We had planned to use the swimming pool as we have done in the past but we felt so disappointed with the state of the hotel, that we daren't even go and have a look at the pool nevermind go in it!!

At least last night we had a good night's sleep - the party goers presumably having gone home!! However, when we went for breakfast this morning, there was even less on the buffet. This time, the hash browns and potato scones had gone! So there were only eggs, bacon, link sausage, tomatoes and beans. This was advertised as a Scottish breakfast???? Nwever in a month of Sundays was that a Scottish breakfast! I was embarrassed to be Scottish!!!

The Erskine Bridge Hotel is ideal for overnight stay and parking if you are going on holiday and flying from Glasgow Airport early in the morning, but anything beyond that, look somewhere else!!

We will never again stay at the Erksine Bridge Hotel unless we are flying from Glasgow Airport and this is the only alternative we have.

Word of mouth is the best advertisement any establishment can have and we certainly could never recommend it.

Unfortunately because we have always been satisfied previously we did not read the view of others as on this site - big mistake!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us. I am concerned to hear the points you have raised in your review.

I have attempted to contact personally to discuss this further and would appreciate if you could take the time to call me.

stellaartios1366
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel.

Good price, refurbished room, great facilities, most things were in a clean and tidy order.

A serious tip for the management - send the staff on regular customer service training sessions as good service often 'papers over the cracks' of any other negatives that people may find. During my stay the reception staff offered a rushed check-in with no hotel info provided - bar staff could not be less bothered with their customers - restaurant appeared to be under-staffed and lacking direction resulting in a few complaints from the dinners around me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erskine
Normandy Hotel
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport
Ingliston Country Club
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton

Been to Erskine Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!