“This Hotel has definitely lost its way!!”

Erskine Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Erskine
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“This Hotel has definitely lost its way!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Having just returned from a weekend at the Erskine Hotel, words cannot describe how disappointed we were! This was a weekend which was booked as a surprise for me by my husband. We have stayed at the Erskine Bridge Hotel on a number of occasions but not for a couple of years and were really looking forward to it. A few days before we left home he had a telephone call from the hotel asking if we were going to be stay there for the Darts competition!! Alarm bells maybe should have rung then - but she explained that their sister hotel - the Normandie - had a Darts competition and that some of the rooms at the Erksine had been booked for that as the Normandie was full but that some rooms had become available now at the Normandie. He explained that this was a birthday treat for me and she said that she would make a note of that. When we arrived, we were given a room on the 6th floor - which was OK - as they have lifts - albeit it shabby lifts - but they work. What a shock we got when the lift doors opened on the 6th floor - the walls of the corridor were painted in what can only be described as the most horrible shocking pink/peach colour. Our room was at the end of the corridor but I couldn't help think that if I had been someone who had consumed a large amount of alcohol, there is no way I would have made it to the room - the corridor is ghastly!! My husand had booked a double room and we were given a triple room - three twin beds! Two were kindly pushed together but one of them was 3 or 4 inches higher than the other!! He went straight back downstairs and asked for a double room only to be told that "he would be lucky to get a double room as the hotel was busy"!! A double room had been booked and paid for months ago and suddenly there weren't any available?? He seemed surprised we weren't satisified! We were given a double room on the second floor. The lift door opened and another shock - the walls this time were painted a bright teal colour!! Yeuch is the only word to describe this! The paintwork both on the 6th floor and the 2nd floor looked as though it had been painted by either an amateur decorator or nursery school children having a fun day out! However the room was pleasant and was one of the refurbished rooms. The toilet was immaculate and very fresh only spoiled by the old cream coloured chipped door which didn't close!! How can a hotel refurbish a room and put an old door back on??? Especially one that obviously had to have a bit shaved off the bottom to accommodate the new tiles but this means that the chipboard door now had splits in it!! I have to agree with other reviewers regarding the TV. Which hotel these days only provides channels 1 -5 on an old what could only be described as analogue TV!!! When hotels refurbish rooms, they refurbish everything - not just part of it. So the excuse from the Manager to another reviewer about they are planning the replacement is just rubbish!!!

The deal included an allowance of £18.95 for a meal in the Riverside Restaurant which we booked for 6.00 p.m. However, it was about 6.10 p.m. before anyone arrived to show us to our table - we were the only guests there at the time. Another 2 came in during the hour we were there. We chose the slow cooked beef with roasted vegetables and horseradish mash. When it came on a gigantic plate, there were 2 slices of beef, a small spoonful of mash and one carrot which had been cut up and 2 small squares of swede!! The beef was beautiful but let's face it, potatoes and vegetables are the cheapest part of a meal - one carrot and two square of swede??? All this for £14.95!! My husband had a sticky toffee apple crumble - which was actually a tart which tasted of Christmas mincemeat!! I had biscuits and cheese but there weren't enough crackers for the cheese!

Back in the room we settle down for what we hoped would be a good night's sleep - at 1.20 a.m. we were wakened by inconsiderate guests coming back to their rooms having a good laugh and shouting with each other. They then decided to have an all night party in one of the rooms which went on until 3.40 a.m. when the music started. I had had enough by then and phoned Reception who did send someone up and gave them a final warning although I think they were so drunk by that time they had no idea what she was talking about!! I realise that wasn't the fault of the hotel but at 3.40 a.m. I just wanted to go home!!! We didn't receive any apology either!

One of the things we have always liked about the Erskine was the buffet breakfast. So having had a very bad night and still feeling shattered we looked forward to this. Ok - where was everything? Obviously paying for the "refurbishment" of the corridors had to be paid from somewhere so cutting down on breakfast was obviously the answer. I felt even sorrier for anyone who only wanted a continental breakfast - apart from cereal, there were plain or strawberry yoghurts or slices of cheddar cheese which had been sitting uncovered for so long that the colour had changed and the cheese was now hard! Where was the haggis, black pudding, lorne sausage and mushrooms that we used to get?? We had planned to use the swimming pool as we have done in the past but we felt so disappointed with the state of the hotel, that we daren't even go and have a look at the pool nevermind go in it!!

At least last night we had a good night's sleep - the party goers presumably having gone home!! However, when we went for breakfast this morning, there was even less on the buffet. This time, the hash browns and potato scones had gone! So there were only eggs, bacon, link sausage, tomatoes and beans. This was advertised as a Scottish breakfast???? Nwever in a month of Sundays was that a Scottish breakfast! I was embarrassed to be Scottish!!!

The Erskine Bridge Hotel is ideal for overnight stay and parking if you are going on holiday and flying from Glasgow Airport early in the morning, but anything beyond that, look somewhere else!!

We will never again stay at the Erksine Bridge Hotel unless we are flying from Glasgow Airport and this is the only alternative we have.

Word of mouth is the best advertisement any establishment can have and we certainly could never recommend it.

Unfortunately because we have always been satisfied previously we did not read the view of others as on this site - big mistake!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us. I am concerned to hear the points you have raised in your review.

I have attempted to contact personally to discuss this further and would appreciate if you could take the time to call me.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
stellaartios1366
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Erskine Bridge Hotel.

Good price, refurbished room, great facilities, most things were in a clean and tidy order.

A serious tip for the management - send the staff on regular customer service training sessions as good service often 'papers over the cracks' of any other negatives that people may find. During my stay the reception staff offered a rushed check-in with no hotel info provided - bar staff could not be less bothered with their customers - restaurant appeared to be under-staffed and lacking direction resulting in a few complaints from the dinners around me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here on the advice of sister hotel. Was told if I stayed here free bus between here and sister hotel. Darts comp being held there and was fully booked. Then got charged £36 extra cause didn't booked direct never once advised off this. Women on reception got her attitude from Vicky pollard. Spoke to friend who booked thru same website who got free travel on bus when I brought this up with miss pollard tried to get his name n room number off me to charge him. Take those awful fake eyelashes off n see your customer is RIGHT! Rude rude rude

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us here at the hotel. Your feedback is a valuable tool for us to ensure we are always improving on our service standards.

We did offer a courtesy bus transfer service for the darts event for guests who booked direct with the hotel. Unfortunately as you booked through a third party agent site there was a charge for the bus service.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Erskine hotels

Campbeltown, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our third stay here, and may well be the last. We were given room 101, which proved to be a good number for it. It was right beside the (very noisy) lift, so right away we asked if we could swap. We were told it was the only refurbished room left, we could swap the next night if we wanted (by a very nice girl on reception, so not all bad). It turned out we couldn't hear the lift for the noise coming from bar or function room, luckily that didn't go on too late. However if this was a refurbished room, the un-refurbed rooms must be bad. The bathroom initially looked nice, but was badly/cheaply refurbed and hardboard round the bath was warping. The tiles were also filthy, there is no excuse for poor cleaning. The bedside cabinet looked like it came out of a skip somewhere. Hardboard was again fitted behind the heaters below the window, and was very very poorly done. And (ok a little moan) but I would expect a refurbished room nowadays to at least have a flatscreen television, not some old boat anchor type. Very disappointed, as it is in a good location for us, hence why we have now been there 3 times.

Room Tip: not 101, thats for sure
3 Thank ADH1967
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Your feedback is welcomed and I am glad to report that we have started updating our guest bedroom T.V's.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel more a more enjoyable visit.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Where do I start but OMG! Arrived to the "prison block" with high hopes having read previous reviews. Location is pretty isolated unless you want to drive somewhere, which I didn't! Hotel was like a remnant of the 1970s with badly worn tartan carpets and chipped dirty wallpaper. All 3 guests were sat in the bar at the same time and didn't help the "dawn of the dead" atmosphere! I made my way to my first floor room along a long corridor of green 1970s wallpaper and more bad tartan carpet but couldn't stay there as it was cold, breezy and the 1970s CRT TV set took up most of the dressing table! I haven't seen one of those for thirty years! The room was clean but small and 5 channels on the "box" totally inadequate. I selected this hotel as it had a gym but on arrival it had 3 treadmills for the ladies but very little weight equipment. This was situated in a little room on another mezzanine floor but was basically a health and safety nightmare waiting to happen, with equipment that was supposed to be secured to a solid floor being left to wobble around, weights benches that collapse under your weight and broken prices of sharp metal around everywhere. And to add insult it was snowing in through the broken window! I shall be reporting this to H&S on my return home. Then i went down for dinner and was told that I had to book for the restaurant, even though there were 90 tables and only 3 guests! So I went to the "bistro" or bar for a meal, but the menu only catered for a burger or a burger with cheese or a burger with cheese and bacon so I elected to take the risk and try the restaurant! Fortunately they managed to squeeze me in and I sat down to a more luxurious choice! Unfortunately my mussels with chilli and coriander had only mussels and none of the later and even they were minuscule for £6.75! Then my tiny wafer thin sirloin steak arrived, well done rather than my requested medium, with the described hand cut chips, clearly hand cut by McCain himself before deep fat frying! All for a scandalous £18.95!!! I had to leave then before I was tempted by a frozen desert, only to be refused a drink at the bar because I had forgotten my room card, even though I had just bought a meal and was one of only 3 guests in the hotel! The bar maid treated me like I was a criminal rather than a guest who had just paid nearly £100 for a nights stay in this awful place!!! Having had enough of the "pumping" atmosphere I retired to my hard mattress and my CRT only to find that my room was situated at the front of the hotel with 4 large purple spotlights directed straight through my curtains!! And I'm guessing there are at least another 100 rooms vacant in this prison? If I thought that I would get treated with a shred of decency I would have asked for another room but I couldn't be bothered! I just can't wait to sample breakfast:-( needless to say I will never ever stay in the erskine bridge hotel again. I have stayed in warmer more accommodating and friendly hotels in Bradford and that is full of terrorists! Frankly I expected more from Scotland. You would never get this treatment in Edinburgh!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Andytarty
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time time to review your stay at the hotel. I am very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us here at the hotel.

I would appreciate if you could contact me at the hotel with specifics of your stay so we can look into the points you have raised. I have looked through our recent guest records and cannot find any issues or concerns raised by yourself to the staff or management.

I would just like to respond to a couple of your points for Tripadvisor users viewing our hotel-

Our Riverfront lounge bar menu has a great selection of meal options and there is over 10 items to choose from.

Upgrades are under-way in our bedrooms to install flat screen tv's with built in freeview which should be complete in the very near future.

Bridge of Earn, Perth
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed overnight and parked for 15 days prior to going on holiday.
The hotel side of things was very good - staff quick and pleasant at reception - rooms large - food good.
However the transport to the airport only goes once an hour and on the return after waiting 35 minutes, at 9pm on a cold wet night, the driver then said "I have to take people to the Nornandy hotel first then come back for the rest of the Normandy people and will also collect you". "
You can either wait or take a taxi and get a refund at the Hotel.
We opted for a taxi costing £12 40 as he said would be refunded and it was.
If there was a problem with numbers and only one minibus - we should have been told to take a taxi at the begining instead of waitng 35 mins in the cold.

Room Tip: No tips for rooms but remeber that the transport only goes once an hour to the airport.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at The Erskine Bridge Hotel & Spa. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the wait you encountered on your return to the airport. Your concerns have been noted and we will look to ways of improving the speed and efficiency of our transfers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Cheltenham
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have now stayed here 3 times since just before Christmas. Each stay was for several nights. The very first night at around 03:20 the fire alarm went off. Apparently a false alarm. During the seond stay between Christmas and New Year there was another fire alarm - this time genuine, but no fire - some idiot smoking in a room on the 5th floor?

So, apart from the fire alarms, what to say? The staff are all very friendly and helpful, absolutely no complaint there. The food is good and if there's something you want for breakfast that is not on the menu (haggis, for example) they can usually provide it. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

The building itself is tired and could do with a serious update. At first sight it is almost a reminder of a Russian Gulag. The grounds need some attempt at landscaping. Good to see the Clyde so close (many years ago I used to traverse said river on General Cargo ships - Clan Line). Rooms are clean, most of the TVs are large CRT sets, filling the desk.

WiFi in public rooms seems to work well. That in bedrooms is very hit and miss with one room OK, but one next door having virtually no signal - provided by T-Mobile.

I didn't test the pool or gym facilities. If you are on the right side there's a great view of the Erskine Bridge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Graham-G4FUJ
erskinegm, Manager at Erskine Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at the hotel. I am delighted to read your kind comments regarding the level of service you received from our staff.

Works are planned to improve the general exterior and the grounds around the hotel in the Spring season.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erskine
Normandy Hotel
Normandy Hotel
#3 of 3 in Renfrew
Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Travelodge Glasgow Airport
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport

Been to Erskine Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!