The Lodge On The Loch
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Loch Leven Hotel(North Ballachulish)
Ballachulish Hotel(Ballachulish)
Alltshellach(North Ballachulish)
Holly Tree Hotel(Kentallen)
  • Free Internet
Glencoe House(Glencoe Village)
View Hotel
Croit Anna Hotel(Fort William)
View Hotel
All reviewsbay windowseating areapaellaan upgradenice roomsea bassan amazing viewloch viewbreakfast was includedmain coursesalmonfireszsoltmountainsglencoehighlands
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Weird place and very expensive for what you get, given that they market this hotel as a luxury retreat for couples, I would have been devasted if this had been a long awaited romantic getaway!

We booked our two night stay just a few days before we went, having found it on the Visit Scotland website while searching for accommodation in the area which allowed dogs. - there was a fairly limited choice allowing dogs in the area so we decided to treat ourselves and go for the 'luxury' option as opposed to staying in a small B&B. We clearly stated on our online booking we'd be taking dogs, and were allocated the 'Cool Classic' room which looked pretty nice on the website - but just to make sure we also called the next day to confirm we'd have two dogs with us, they had not seen on our booking about the dogs and so had to change our room to the 'Rennie Mackintosh' as it was their only double room that allowed dogs.

Arrived to a friendly enough reception, although the place was eerily quiet given the sign said 'no vacancies', and we were informed we would not be able to eat in the restaurant that night as they had a large party booked in and 'there could be lots of noise'. We were shown to our room, which was along at the end of a corridor above the kitchen - which smelt strongly of cooking fat (not good for my 5 months pregnant sense of smell!).

Our room was just bizarre! Very, very tired decor which included the walls being clad in mdf strips all round, presumably to resemble the vertical lines of a Mackintosh design with a Mackintosh flower stencil design at the top, plus a large broken Mackintosh style clock on the wall with only one hand! The walls were painted cream and were pretty grubby and tired, but to be fair the bed sheets (under the suspect bedspread and tired old cushions) were clean, and the mattress was past its best with springs poking into our backs! The bathroom was pretty clean, however, disappointingly, there was a sign stuck to the bathroom wall apologising that the spa bath was not working as it was 'awaiting parts' - by the look of the sign I can only imagine it had been waiting some time for these 'parts'! I would question the luxury of their cheap in room tea/coffee/biscuits, and provision of only 4 tiny milk portions, also the tealight candles provided to give a 'luxury romantic' feel were already burnt!

The view from the room was brilliant though - even with mist and rain - a nice big window overlooking the loch (and sadly the busy road).

We didn't see any of the large party or hear any of the possible noise we'd been forwarned of fortunately, it appears they'd all gone to bed by 9pm when we returned from dinner in Fort William. However, when we went for breakfast at 9.30am the next morning they had clearly been and gone, leaving us the leftovers of the full Scottish breakfast sitting in hot holding equipment on a buffet table to 'enjoy'. As breakfast is served 8-10am we can only assume the food had sat there since about 7.45am, congealed beans and grey scrambled egg being the only things I would be able to salvage from the selection as a vegetarian - I decided to pass. To be fair I was offered a freshly made vegetarian frittata - an enormous plate of oily and inedibable egg, tomato and spinach which I could barely force any of down or persuade my boyfriend to share with me as he was already feeling a bit queasy after his crusty school dinner quality sausage and bacon.

We had considered not going to breakfast at all on our second day, but decided we'd go in for a bowl of safe cereal and a cup of tea. We were pleased to discover that there was no hot buffet breakfast today, but menus on the table, so the buffet treatment must have been due to the large party - I do feel however that as we, and one solo gentleman, appeared to be the only guests after the large party had left we could have been offered fresh breakfasts on our first morning without too much effort on the chef's part.

The staff did try to be hospitable, but with the whole place just being so odd (including a weird vase of shells in water growing copious amounts of algae in the dining room) and the poor quality of what they actually offer compared to what they advertise and charge for, it was hard to warm to them.

Needless to say we shall not return, and would not recommend anyone else to either, had it not been for the fact that it allows dogs and not many other places do we would have walked out. It is a real shame though as the location and building have so much potential to be a cracking hotel if renovated and run properly - just not in the hands of its current owners.

Room Tip: Loch views are the ONLY redeeming feature of this place, if you don't get one - leave!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AEM21
Reviewed September 16, 2011

OMG what is going on! This hotel is just bizzare. You couldn't pay me to stay in this hotel again. The only good thing that I could say about the hotel was that it was clean and the staff were nice.

I was shown to my room and I just wanted to cry. It was like the old clearners storage room. Cheap curtains and shelves and in badly need of redecorating. None of the furniture matched and the room was freezing.

The hotel was practically empty probably because nobody wants to stay there. I just feel sorry for the tourists who end up staying here.

The food was alright, but overpriced. The chef had his 80s CD paying in the background and you could hear staff arguing in the kitchen.

The sad thing in that this place used to be good but the new owners obviously don't care and dont have a clue about how to run a successful hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank chuck007
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Quite simply, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Inedible evening meal - first time we have ever got up and walked out. Breakfast no better. Left it too and checked out after one of our planned three nights. At least Fawlty Towers had people actually staying - this was definitely right out of Jack Nicholson's 'The Shining'. DO NO EVEN CONSIDER STAYING HERE.

Room Tip: Sleep outside.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Malcolm007113
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here last night, just for one night. For an establishment whose sign said there were no vacancies we only saw two couples during our stay. On arrival we were made to feel welcome and were taken to our room, which was outdated although that could be a matter of personal taste. The bathroom however was small but modern. After taking a look at the price of food in the information given in the bedroom we decided to walk and find dinner elsewhere.

We had a drink in the bar which was ridiculously overpriced and only sold bottled beer, no beer on tap. Due to this and realising there was no atmosphere we had planned to get a taxi to go further afield only to find out that we had to be back in the hotel for 11pm which made it pointless to venture out, making us feel trapped and frustrated. We have stayed in places before that have issued 2 keys - one for the front door and one for the room enabling us to come and go as we please. As paying customers it should be our preogative to do so in my opinion rather than be influenced by the wishes of the place we are staying.

Breakfast was an experience. It was served between 8 and 10. I ordered a full scottish breakfast. Everything was pretty dry - including the beans - which made me wonder if they had all been sitting since the beginning of service.

We have stayed in various places, a lot of which were better. There are worst places to spend time but I would not return.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eastybeasty1
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My friends and I have just come back from a two night stay. Oh dear, Fawlty Towers indeed. Judging by some of the previous comments in the last few years it is a surprise this place remains open. It is clearly run on a shoestring. The staff when found pleasant enough but they clearly hadn't a clue, the bar was always closed, no heating in the public areas and little in the rooms, the place felt cold and damp, bedding was poor and inadequate. We were fortunate that on arrival we were told we could not have dinner there as a large party ( they hardly filled half the dining room ) was arriving and they could not cope with three additional guests. What a lucky escape, we dined out. The only reason we stayed the second night we were committed to completing our walking trip and the booking conditions of paying the full amount on last minute cancellation. The single room I stayed in was more like a cupboard in a garret, however the twin room was pleasant with beautful views over Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe. In conclusion their website is at best very misleading, I would strongly encourage you to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends