“lapcstwithbonnie, venus”

Springwell Holiday Homes
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had a great week in the west highlands at springwell cottages. Coming from south devon and holidaying with our 2 dogs shauna cottage was brill ! Yes the weather was misty and murky at times but we were expecting the conditions so were well equiped. The cottage was clean and very well equipped with all that we would have expected and more! We were happy with our accommodation as were our dogs! Loved the bird feeders. Saw birds we would not see in our little garden. Good situation for sight seeing and local amenities.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
SpringwellHolidays, Owner at Springwell Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Lorraine,

Many thanks for your helpful review. So glad that you and your dogs enjoyed your visit to Springwell and the wonderful West Highlands. Hope to see you again. As you know we offer a 10% discount for repeat bookings in the following year.

Best wishes

Richard

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were booked into the Croft from 3rd till 10th August, but left on the 9th to head home.

Having contacted the owner prior to booking to informing him that I am a cancer patient with a compromised immune system, I was assured the property would be clean. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I had requested a new 2 bed cottage for my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children), but with none available on my chosen dates, the owner kindly offered us the Croft (which sleeps 6) at the same price as the 2 bed cottages. I was thrilled at this fantastic offer, but my joy was short lived.

On arrival the housekeeper Rhona was in the cottage as we were a little early. She was lovely and said we could just come in as she had finished all the preparation in the house. She showed us around and left, letting us know she was contactable at any time. At first glance the Croft is lovely. It is a very traditional interior which was appreciated, and the rooms were all kitted out well with everything you could possibly need.

However, after closer inspection, it became clear that the carpets had been hoovered, and the duvet covers had been changed, but everything else was rather dirty. We spent the remainder of our first day cleaning and washing things. The kitchen was particularly filthy.The fridge and freezer were clean enough, but the work surfaces and kitchen unit doors and handles were filthy...the bread bin was so filthy inside and out that we decided not to use it at all...and didn't attempt to clean it either. The inside of the microwave was so dirty, that when I ran a wipe over the inner roof of it, my children were retching at the state of the wipe. We washed one set of plates, mugs, bowls, glasses, and used only those. The lovely old wooden table had crumbs on it and dirty mats, and I don't think the accompanying chairs had ever been cleaned. We removed the padded cushions and washed them in the washing machine, then cleaned the backs and seats of the wooden chairs themselves.

Had we been a party of 6, I do not know how any of the party would have been able to sleep in the downstairs bedroom, which has the worst damp smell I have ever experienced. We never spent a single night in it, and chose instead to sleep in the attic rooms...even though this meant a considerable walk to the loo during the night. The quilt covers seemed to be clean but the quilts still had a really old body odour smell, which was so unbearable on our first night, that we had them outside on the airer for the whole of the next day...which helped a little.

The bathroom is in dire need of refurbishment, with boxing in which is missing at parts, cobwebs and general dirt around the floors and ceiling areas. The shower curtain was too long and the bathmat was like nothing I have ever seen before.

To be honest, I cannot believe I left my lovely home and paid more than a months rent to stay in this place for a week. I have stayed in many cleaner and more comfortable caravans.

I realise that old buildings have a certain musty smell, but this was beyond that. It is such a shame that the quilts and such likes are not replaced often enough and that the place was not cleaned to an acceptable standard, as the location is good and the building has the potential to be great!

Having disclosed my illness and requested a clean place to stay, I am very disappointed with the condition of the croft. I would not recommend that people use this place at all, and particularly if they are in a party of 6, as the downstairs bedroom would have to be used, and it is not habitable due to the smell.

We left the place a lot cleaner than it was when we arrived. If it hadn't been my daughter's birthday & if we hadn't booked a lot of activities for the week prior to arriving, I'd have been back home a lot earlier.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
SpringwellHolidays, Owner at Springwell Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

I am very concerned to have received this third poor review in recent weeks having had nearly 50 exemplary comments over the last 3 years. I will be in touch with Trish in person to apologise.

We take all complaints very seriously. The only explanation, not an excuse, is the huge increase in short bookings over this year which increases the turn over load for the Site Manager.

Obviously we need to adapt to maintain our standards and we therefore intend to take on extra staff as soon as possible to ensure a presence on site for a few hours each day so that any problems can be reported and put right straight away. We also intend to take over all our own laundry so as not to be dependent on an external service which has not always been satisfactory.

We would urge our guests where they find something which is not to their liking to raise it with us straight away and not to suffer in silence.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

A well equipped cottage in a stunning location with beautiful views of the loch. However we were very disappointed by the cleanliness of the accommodation, eg. cobwebs on the windows, dusty chairs and bedding and a bathroom in need of a good clean. The heater in the living area took 3 days in heat up, perhaps it should have been put on prior to our arrival. In general the cottage felt as if it had not been used for a while.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frenzy170553

This is one of 3 poor recent reviews and naturally I am very concerned. I do not question the comments made and I will be in touch direct to apologise personally.

We have been on Tripadvisor for more than 3 years and have almost 50 excellent reviews and that is how it should be.

There is an explanation, not an excuse, in that we have experienced a huge increase in short let bookings this year which means far more changeovers for the Site Manager. I take responsibility for not recognising the problem and arranging support, which we will now do as a matter of urgency.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Unfortunately filthy bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. We had to wash all the dishes and cutlery before we used them-- glasses coated with lipstick and fingerprints, utensil drawer full of crumbs, unmentionables found under the bed, and generally run down and poorly appointed. No place to sit and read in the evening-- the one light was broken and the sofa had no extra light. Sheets felt like the had been used hundreds of times. Garish yellow wall difficult to look at. Stove only partially functioned. The view was very good though, and the location was quite nice. If you knew what you were getting into before you came, you might make it into a better place. We abandoned the place after three nights, losing the money, but finding better value for less money nearby.

Room Tip: Definitely look up the cottage locations before you chose. We were in Kerrera, and it was fine exce...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
SpringwellHolidays, Owner at Springwell Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I am very sorry to say this poor review was justified. Owing to a communication breakdown between myself, I take the bookings, and the Site Manager, the changeover between 2 short lets was completely missed and the house had not been cleaned or faults checked and corrected. I take responsibility for that. Never happened before and will not happen again. Shame they did not call me as it would have been rectified straight away but, hands up, entirely our fault. We pride ourselves on high standards but this was an inexcusable breakdown. I will be in touch direct with personal apologies.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family and I returned to Springwell for the second year in a row. Once again, everything was great! The location is perfect! The property has its own beach on the loch and also a hill behind it. When we were there last year, the bluebells were blooming. This year it was the foxgloves. We stayed in the Croft, which was very comfortable and roomy for the four of us. The only downside is that it doesn't have wifi. However, if we really needed to get online we could do so by walking up the hill to the office. But it was nice to be unplugged. The location is handy forhikes in Glen Coe or excursions to Oban or Mull. I highly recommend Springwell and hope to return there again soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
SpringwellHolidays, Owner at Springwell Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Leah,
Thanks so much for your welcome review. Great to have you back at Springwell and so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have tried and failed I am afraid to get the wifi signal to Croft. As you say a signal is available at the office. I will keep this under review and extend the site wifi service to Croft in future if possible.
Haste ye back again.
Richard

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Colonsay for 5 nights with two little children age 2 and age 3,5. The Colonsay cottage was a very beautiful retreat where you can feel very comfortable away from home. We heart a hearty welcome and a very friendly farewell. The view is fantastic and I recommend you to bring a few bottles of good wine, eat early dinner or prepare early dinner and sit in front of the cottage or the living room window to enjoy the view.
If you travel with small children, I recommend to book the Colonsay cottage or the Oronsay cottage. The smaller cottages are too small for young families as there is not enough space to play in case it is raining outside. You will find enough space in the Colonsay: 4 bedrooms, a large kitchen with a beautiful dining area, a living room and nice bath rooms. If you travel with 3 couples, there is also enough privacy because of the 4 bedrooms and many doors that can be closed. There is a little play ground next to the cottage and the ground around the cottages is covered with pebble stones - great for little children to play! You should bring bath & kitchen stuff on your own (dish washer, shampoo, detergents for the washing machine... etc) but you will be provided with linen and towels.

The view is fantastic - we saw fantastic rainbows every evening and the view of Loch Linnhe and the surrounding mountains was wonderful. It's a 15 minutes drive to Fort William, where you should take the Jacobite Steamtrain to Mallaig (pre booking essential!) and you should eat dinner at crannog cruises restaurant right at the beginning of the city center. Another fantastic dinner option is the Sea food cafe in Loch Leven, specialized on shell fish. The best shell fish lunch ever in my life!
I agree with other reviewers, that in case I should return to the Glencoe region, I would stay again in one of the cottages.

Room Tip: Colonsay cottage is very spacious and beautiful
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
SpringwellHolidays, Owner at Springwell Holiday Homes, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Thanks so much for a great review. You obviously hit the weather right and did some of the best things the area has to offer. Hope you can come again explore further. As you say Springwell is a great base for doing the Highlands and Islands.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Spent 5 days in Oronsay cottage making memories!!! The cottage was spacious and spotless felt like home from home with everything you could ever need at your fingertips. The views from the cottage are spectacular. With Glencoe Fort William and Oban all within easy reach. Or just go for a drive around Loch Leven you won't beat the area for scenery. Thank you to Rhona for making sure we were settled in and happy. Would highly recommend the cottage. We will return !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thanks so much for a great review. Glad you had such a great time and hope to see you at Springwell again soon. Richard

Also consider these accommodations in or near Onich
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#2 of 8 in Onich
The Corran
The Corran
#5 of 5 in Onich

Been to Springwell Holiday Homes? Share your experiences!