“I'll be going back!!”

The Birch Tree
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a bistro style restaurant located at Delny near Invergordon in the Highlands of Scotland. 'Our food philosophy is driven by our passion for cooking and the seasonal and sustainable produce that we source from our equally committed local producers and suppliers.' Wednesday to Sunday lunches Noon until 2pm Wednesday to Saturday Dinner 6pm until 10pm
Invergordon, United Kingdom
“I'll be going back!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

A group of four of us went on a busy Sat night. The service was great, the temperature inside was just right, the decor lovely and the toilets lovely and clean. Finally, the food was amazing, really tasty and the perfect portion size, and all four of us are planning on going again but this time may treat our partners as well. We were not hurried out of our table although they were busy. In addition, they had wheelchair access and the toilets were certainly wide enough to take a wheelchair if needed. Thoroughly enjoyed my experience at The Birch Tree and I for one shall be going back.

3 Thank Jan D

“Perfect”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just enjoyed the "steak night " here..enjoyed probably does not convey how good it actually was. I loved the quirkiness of the prawn cocktail served in a glass jar.My steak was cooked perfectly and the homemade chips and onion rings were excellent.I had kept a space for pud and I must say the drambuie parfait was heavenly.It was fantastic value at under £20 a head.This restaurant is well worth travelling to its just off A9 at Delny which is approx 25 miles north of Inverness.Its definately rated in my top 3 best meals ever! Can't wait to go again! My sister who was with me would write a similar review but she's too stuffed to type!

2 Thank SusanMcLoone
London
“A real gem and superb food boost to the area”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

A warm welcome greeted us as soon as we entered the restaurant. It is tastefully decorated and very warm. For once I resisted the Scallop starter and opted for the intriguing garlic sausage which was exquisite and perfectly seasoned. I followed this with the confit duck leg and it was dribbly good. The sticky toffee pudding was surprisingly light and this was what set this apart from all others I have had. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough as someone who has travelled the world and eaten in some of the best establishments known to man. The service is superb and the food is not over complicated and above all very, very tasty. The Chef also came out and had a word with all the tables on our night and it was superb to get his insights and find out where his passion comes from.

It has always surprised me that there are not more restaurants of this quality in the area given the quality ingredients in the doorstep. All in all, a superb experience and we will certainly be back the next time we are back up in the area.

In response to the negative comments posted below here are my thoughts on them:-
1. It always makes me laugh when I read that a place like this is not value for money. We had 3 courses and wine for under £30. Its not Cafe rouge or a chain restaurant.
2. The fact that it is on private grounds is completely irrelevant - The food and service are top notch, surely that is the most important thing.
3. None of the food I had was over seasoned so this must be a personal taste
4. Two people on our table also had the goats cheese starter and had nothing but positive comments.

My wife and i cannot wait to return.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Phillip S
Culloden
“Beautiful Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a beautiful Sunday lunch at the Birch Tree with a work colleague, it was so good we actually stopped talking to enjoy the food.........so it must be good:)

Tain
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Having heard rave reviews, we were very much looking forward to our visit to the Birch Tree. The first disappointment came when there was no ice for our pre-dinner drinks. The starters were also not up to the standard we'd been expecting; my goat's cheese souffle did not taste of goat's cheese and the mustard sauce totally overwhelmed it. My steak was nice but the chips, which would have been perfect had they not been oversalted, rather spoilt the main course. The lemon posset dessert on the other hand was one of the best restaurant puddings I've ever had. The bottle of Merlot which we chose to accompany our meal was absolutely lovely and served at a perfect temperature in beautiful elegant glasses. The cutlery however was cheap and felt horrid in the hand and we had to make do with tiny paper napkins. This was a shame as otherwise the place is nicely appointed, with lovely clean toilets and a warm, welcoming decor.

1 Thank Rosie262