“Felt like royalty”
Review of Royal Marine Hotel

Royal Marine Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brora
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Marine for my sister's wedding at Dunrobin castle and I felt like I was being treated like royalty. The staff there were very attentive to our needs were happy to help. The breakfast was also surprisingly good, much like you would get in a 5 star hotel. The hot tub wasn't working when I was there, however, the little steam room and the sauna were awesome. And when I got the bill for the weekend I was also surprised at how reasonable it was.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AdventureVacationer
Robert R, General Manager at Royal Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your most complimentary review following your recent stay at The Royal Marine Hotel, Brora. Naturally I am delighted that you felt you were treated like royalty. The team will take enormous encouragement from your kind remarks I am sure. Sorry the hot tub was not working in our Leisure centre during your stay. As the new General manager here I am always keen to receive guest feedback and respond accordingly.
I will certainly look into why the hot tub was out of action. Thank you for letting me know.
I hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future for more royal treatment.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We just returned from a 3+ week tour of the Scottish highlands and islands...I booked most of the hotels by reading reviews on line and looking at the map....this one looked like it would be nice and comfortable place to stay. After reading some reviews I would have to agree that it was "Average" ...and that the staff needs a bit of help in the hospitality department. The room was fine, and was quite comfortable.
However, from the time we checked in, no one asked us a thing, and we had to find our way around, figure out where the dining room was, and so on. I hate to say it, because we had such an incredible trip the whole three weeks, but this hotel was one of my least favorite places. The hotel just felt unwelcoming, and oddly out of place after all of the friendly helpful people we had met on the trip. We looked around the dining room, decided that it looked too quiet and ended up walking into town for fish and chips and having a nice chat with the owners of the fish and chip cafe!
Ah well....maybe they can try a little harder in the future...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank expatmominkhartoum

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Royal Marine Hotel Brora.
As the new General Manager I am interested to receive feedback, enabling me to put right any shortcomings and build on our successes. Evidently in your case we fell somewhat short of your expectations which is a great pity because it would seem you had a fantastic time during your three week trip. Your constructive remarks clearly indicate that on this occasion we failed to make you feel welcome for which I sincerely apologise. A definate training need has surfaced here. Please be assured I will be taking this up with my guest relations manager in the morning.
I am pleased, however, that the local fish shop owner made you feel at home ! Maybe he should come over and train my staff ! Seriously though I am extremely disappointed to read your comments. We pride ourselves on the normally friendly and hospitable service we offer. I am very sorry that you appear to have fallen under our radar.
Should you ever visit this part of Scotland again please do call in and hopefully we can vastly improve on our recent performance. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

RM is a great venue for a golf trip visiting the courses on this coast. Rooms are comfortable, Restaurant is fine, though menu does need to change more regularly, specials menu has limited new daily choices but still very nice, but would benefit from more variety.
Pool area and saunas look good, but during my visit hot tub was not operative.
On balance, well worth a visit, especially for golf

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave R

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind comments on tripadvisor following your recent stay here in September.
It is true to say that we are well situated to play golf on the local courses especially Brora, Golspie, Dornoch and Tain. As you know Brora Golf Course is a matter of minutes from the hotel. Thank you for mentioning the menu which you felt needed more variety. We are very soon (today infact) to introduce a new seasonal dinner menu and bar snack menu offering a more varied selection.Having taken over the reigns here only recently I am pleased to be able to reply to guests comments which I value enormously providing important feedback so we can discuss as a team and quickly put things right if they need fixing.
Thanks again Dave, and hope to see you again before too long.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights with a group while traveling around Scotland. We had a lovely, very spacious room, nicely furnished. I just read in one of the other reviews that there was a ground-floor room adapted for disabled persons, but we were not aware of its existence. I have a difficult time climbing stairs and wasn't happy having to walk two flights of stairs to get to our second floor room. But there was an indoor swimming pool (hard to find without directions) and a pool table, both of which we enjoyed using. The breakfast buffet was good (supplemented by ability to order from a menu), but the dinner menu was more impressive than the food on it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in the Royal marine apartments as a family of four as part of a road trip around Scotland for a couple of nights and it wasn’t a great experience.

When we arrived we were told our apartment was ready but there was no bed linen so far – no big deal but seeing as we didn’t arrive until early evening it was a bit of a worry!

We were shown to our apartment and given a brief tour that lasted maybe ten minutes but eight of this was explaining the recycling rules – now I’m all for saving the planet but you do know I’m on holiday right? No one likes rules when their on holiday. See the photo of the “rules”.

The apartment was modern and had either been recently decorated or was new and on the face of it we were all pretty pleased. But after a while we noticed the moths, not just one or two but tens of moths, some dead, some alive – not sure where they had come from but surely at least the dead one should have been cleaned up. We also noticed that a number of the fixtures and fittings were cheap, almost like the apartment had been built to a high standard (amazing sound systems, TV’s etc) but then finished on a really low budget.

We headed off to the hotel for our evening meal and having heard good things about the hotel expectations were high. They shouldn’t have been. My daughter ordered a chicken meal that was served with a rosti but the rosti was dark brown when it arrived and impossible to cut, actually inedible. My vegetables were cold in the middle, suggesting the microwave had been busy. All the food with the exception of the soup starter was poor.

We ordered drinks and had to remind them half way through the meal that we still didn’t have any drinks and when the waitress brought them over she dropped my red wine all over the diners on the next table. We left after that.

We returned to the apartment (and moths) and eventually retired to bed. It was then we discovered that the mattresses on the beds were more like the thin temporary mattresses you get on cheap sofa beds (see the photos) and not very comfortable but eventually we all got to sleep and to be fair to the hotel it is very quiet there. However at 5am I was woken by the sun streaming through the curtains – yeah that’s right, through the curtains! They were so thin and badly positioned that they kept hardly any light out whatsoever and it wasn’t just one window, all the bedroom windows were the same. I took a photo of the light coming though at 5am, if you can sleep through that I take my hat off to you!

Final thoughts – it was all very beige and soulless – no art/pictures, nothing, all beige and Magnolia (again see the photos). Internet access was around 2mb, and probably about right given the location, but no Wi-Fi to attach to in the apartment – why build a new apartment, put Bose surround sound systems in but no wireless access point?

Oh and our dishwasher didn’t work either…

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rob234
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night en route to Orkney which broke the journey perfectly. Having an elderly aunt in our party the Royal Marine fitted the bill perfectly as they could offer a very spacious ground floor room adapted for disabled persons. We were upgraded to a nice classic room at no extra cost.

Booking in on a sunny afternoon was very pleasant and after dropping our bags it was out into the garden for tea and home made shortbread, yummy!

The hotel is very closely located to the beach and golf course and we enjoyed a lovely walk amongst the dunes and fairways which gave us an appetite for dinner.

Pre dinner drinks and perusal of the extensive dinner and wine menus was comfortably catered for, along with canapies in the well furnished lobby amongst some great golfing memorabilia.

Very soon we were ushered into Lorimer's Dining Room and enjoyed a well cooked, well presented, tasty 3 course dinner which was definitely catering for a 'bigger appetite' - we did not leave hungry! Petit fours and coffee were again served in the lounge prior to a peaceful and comfortable nights sleep.

Breakfast was similar to the previous nights dinner with a good variety of cereals, fresh fruit, nuts and pastries along with an extensive menu of cooked meals to cater for our's and I'm sure the vast majority of tastes.

Throughout our stay, staff were both helpful and courteous at all times. Unfortunately we did not get time to use the Leisure Facilities. There is no doubt that given the circumstances we shall return to the Royal Marine in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here both before and after a 110 mile horseback ride through the highlands and it was a welcome respite after the trip! Rooms are cozy with lovely and spacious bathrooms, hotel is in a great location so you can walk to town and the beach. The welcoming fire and cozy armchairs along with the relaxing well outfitted spa make this hotel stand out among others in the highlands.

I also recommend the restaurant, the Aberdeen beef was some of the best I have ever have, very friendly staff as well! Breakfast is included with the room and you can even get haggis. Only thing I would say that was just ok were the beds are mostly twin and not very comfy, but the rooms are a good size and it's a minor point to an otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brora
Sutherland Inn Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch
Kincraig Castle Hotel
Kincraig Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invergordon

Been to Royal Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!