“Definantly return”
Review of Ullswater View

Ullswater View
Ranked #1 of 3 Watermillock B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We travel to Scotland frequently and prefer to break our journey, and stay at many different B&Bs. For some reason we were struggling to find availability until we found Ullswater View. We had our elderly mother with us so had to book two rooms.

We are used to king size beds so offered the double (better room) to our mother and we opted for a twin, not quite as grand as her room, but the views were superb, overlooking the mountains and a smidge of Ullswater Lake. Beautiful.

Julie offered us a most welcoming pot of tea, with the company of 'Millie' her King Charles Spaniel, so cute.

We only stayed one night before moving on. The breakfast was smashing, home made bread and plenty of it. Ironically enough, our next stay was a 4* hotel with superb bedrooms, but the breakfast was not a patch on this.

This guest house is definantly one we would return to. It is not a luxury B&B, and does not claim to be, but it is comfortable, warm with good food. A pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Our rooms overlooked the mountains. Our room was standard. Our mother's room was better decorate...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Now the owner will probably slate me for my review likes she's done with some other poor people who appear to have commented honestly. However my wife and I are well traveled senior reviewers but thought best to create another account to avoid a harsh response on my usual account.

Stayed here with my wife in April this year for her birthday (new camera so wanted some good views), my daughter had booked it for us through Booking.com as a birthday present although when we came to leave we had to pay so I was a little confused but didn't question it as my daughter hadn't been charged despite giving booking.com her details. I called her to check before paying and I've read up on Booking.com since and apparently its a common problem with hotels of this sort, probably the booking company.

The welcome was a bit strange, no one really around to help or check us in at the advertised time of 16:00. We were greeted by a dog but it took 5 mins for someone to welcome us.

The room didn't have the Jacuzzi tub but we thought my daughter must have made a mistake when she booked. The room we did have was beautifully furnished with a good clear view of Ullswater. I wasn't keen on the bed but my wife thought it was comfortable, old age routine setting in for me I think. The walls also don't leave much for privacy, we could hear talking amongst other things from the room next door.

I thought breakfast was a little measly and the dining room quite dated in comparison to the clearly refurbished rooms. Would be nice to return one day perhaps when that and the conservatory have been updated. I always think places let themselves down when the communal areas are not as nice as the rooms.

Nothing to really complain to the owner about at the time, and we did have a nice time around the lake, just small let down details that other trip advisor users like me might like to bear in mind when staying at a clearly popular hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the bubble bath, it seems to be the best one according to other reviews. if yo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kim J
Reviewed May 18, 2013

A real find! We stayed for a couple of nights for a family wedding at Ullswater. The location lived up to its name, and the room was as good as any high quality hotel. Wonderful breakfast too. Very definitely one for a return visit

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed in the deluxe room with the spa bath, it was amazing with breathtaking views of the lake. Deco was beautiful very up market something which you would normally see in a top end hotel. Extremely relaxing, excellent customer service from the moment we checked in. A fantastic cooked breakfast in the morning. Will defiantly be going back, highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieMillerCrook2, Owner at Ullswater View, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for your review Rebecca.
The Delux Room is a lovely room and good to hear you enjoyed it so much.
We do try to give our guests a quality stay with a very relaxed and homely atmosphere.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

From stepping out of the car we were greeted with a warm friendly smile and we instantly felt welcome. Our room was a delightful surprise, beautifully decorated and the bed was oh so comfy! Over the three days we tried all breakfast offerings and not only was the food delicious and perfectly presented, the service from all the staff could not have been better. Our visit to the area was purely to walk and to shake off the stresses of work and Julie's knowledge of the area from places to eat and visit helped to make our stay one of the most enjoyable getaways in a long time. The Ullswater view is in a great location stunning view while Glenridding is only 5 minutes by car. We often use trip adviser to assess were to stay but have never before felt the need to write a review but the Ullswater View is so good I had to lend my voice to the others praising Julie for a wonderful weekend. We will most defiantly return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks Richard for taking the time out to write your first review.
It was a pleasure to look after you and your wife.
Your experience of The Ullswater View was everything we strive for and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here turning a wedding on Ullswater into a longer walking break...& we couldn't have chosen better! The views from our room were astounding...what a sight to wake up to!! The bed was gigantic, squishy & very comfortable. The little touches like water, a cafetiere & chocolates in the room really made you feel welcome. But the biggest plaudit has to go to the breakfast!! Homemade bread & lip smacking hot home cooking are just the fuel you need before exploring the stunning countryside! Wonderful value for money...we would stay again as we have fallen in love with this particular Lake & this is a great base to explore it from. Thanks for a lovely stay!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Emma for taking time out to write your lovely review.
It is nice to know the little extras are noticed and enjoyed.
I loo forward to seeing you both again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was sceptical when my friend recommended we stay at the Ullswater View, guesthouses will often reflect the individual mores of the proprietors, amenities can be variable, and furnishings can often best be described as dowdy. Not so here ! The proprietress is a poppet, the pristine rooms are perfectly prepared, and all the facilities; beds, linen, bathrooms (fantastic shower in mine) and more are pukka stuff, down to the excellent bisuits and exquisite chocolate, replaced daily. Hostess Julie is clearly fed on high octane fuel, as she provides a welcome and service I have not seen bettered in similar venues. Breakfast is not to be missed, fresh and stewed fruit, home made bread, a superb eggs benedict, and top quality local sausage and bacon for the traditionalist. I have already returned on 2 occasions since my 1st visit 5 months ago, and I will be back for more of the same. My new home from home in the Lake District.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in are good, but if you pay a little more you will not regret the extra.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Mr Sands....Thank you.
Your new second home is looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watermillock
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater
#1 of 1 in Berrier
Ullswater Guest House
Ullswater Guest House
#2 of 7 in Pooley Bridge

Been to Ullswater View? Share your experiences!