“Lovely guest house”
Review of Ullswater View

Ullswater View
Ranked #1 of 3 Watermillock B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have just returned from here in which My family and I spent 2 nights. The welcome was friendly and inviting with a complimentary drink after our journey. The rooms where modern and gorgeously decorated with a lovely bright contemporary bathroom. The breakfasts were delicious. The guest house is situated 10 minutes drive from the Ullswater village and the Inn on the Lake hotel in which we were attending a wedding. I would highly recommend a stay at the Ullswater View in which you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We booked two rooms via booking.com for ourselves and my mum and dad for two nights. My brother also phoned direct to reserve a room. When he phoned he was informed I had only booked one room. Our other room had been double booked. This was a mistake on their part and they quickly rectified it by cancelling the other booking. But if my brother hadn’t phoned it would have been a shock on arrival. We were told that they are having teething problems due to the different booking systems. So I advise to call the hotel direct to confirm any bookings.
We booked due to the high rating on trip advisor and in general my findings are similar. But this time I tend to disagree with the general trend. On arrival we were greeted pleasantly and shown to our room. There is a long narrow passage between rooms and my first impression was oh dear. The carpet was very scruffy and had bleach marks all the way down it. My mum later commented to me as feeling the same. The marks looked like bucket rings.
The room itself was nice and roomy and had a large bed .It was very comfy and had nice clean bedding and good pillows. The bathroom was of a decent size. The problem came when trying to get ready as although there was room and a socket there was no dressing table and the hairdryer would not stretch to the large mirror on the wall. I ended up taking the mirror off the wall and propping it up on the chair near the socket and sitting on the floor to see. As the room could accommodate a dressing table i didn’t understand the logic. My mum also complained about her room being the same. Later my brother’s girlfriend visited us and independently commented on this. Maybe it’s a woman thing but I think its a small thing that needs improving. You could also hear every word that was said between rooms and if someone got up it would wake you as the floors creaked and you could hear the conversation.
It is advertised that you can relax in the conservatory. You are free to sit in it but the feel is of being in a dining room as it has old fashioned dark wood dining table and chairs in it. The room is open to non residents to eat and drink. It seems the proprietors are trying to attract custom in all directions and therefore not quite hitting the mark both in terms of decor and atmosphere.
The breakfast is held in a plain function room. Our table for four was very narrow and looked like the top table at a function (which it was). Again it didn’t hit the mark as a B&B breakfast room as it was very obviously geared towards functions and therefore again did not have a cosy atmosphere.
The cooked breakfast was of a good standard, lovely curly Cumberland sausage. The fresh bread was also great. The only thing missing for me was a fresh fruit salad although you could help yourself to the fruit bowl. The staffs were all friendly and helpful. I would rate the breakfast highly.
If you are just looking for a base and no more you will be happy here, if you like a cosy B&B this isn’t the place for you.
Will I return? The answer is no although it was a nice weekend away.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank bankrupt2
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your Review and we are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, as your review is incredibly lengthy I think it is just fair to say you stayed at the wrong guest house!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and cannot rate the level of service highly enough. Julie (the owner) on several occasions went out of her way improve our stay and even managed to source me a wet suit free of charge after realising the night before a triathlon I had left mine at home.

I would highly recommend the Ullswater View to any prospective visitor.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you Eren for your review and I just glad to be able to help.
See you next year for your triathlon.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed for a night in May on our way to Scotland.
Our room was very well appointed with a spa bath looking out over the lake.
The B & B is on the roadside but not noisy and certainly conveniently situated for access to the
M 6.
Dinner was excellent with a varied menu and Breakfast was first class with friendly and helpful service.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your review and do try our best to make every ones stay here as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Recently had 2 night/3 day stay at this lovely hotel. The room was excellent with lovely extra touches, choc truffles left each morning after the room was cleaned, fresh filter coffee, tea and hot chocolate in room and freshly laundered bathrobes, The breakfast was also excellent and well presented. We ate in the conservatory one night and the food was of a high standard, tasty and good quality and reasonably priced. The owner and staff were very pleasant and friendly and have great ideas for the further updating that is planned. We were very happy with our room but also viewed the rooms which have been updated and they are fabulous. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and hope to return later this year.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent but the recently updated ones are amazing, especially the one with the jacuzzi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jenny h
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Dined here whilst on holiday nearby.

Made to feel at home by the owners, who could not do enough.

Outstanding setting and attentive staff with good quility locally sourced food.

The owners are slowly up grading the place and have big plans for the restuarant area. Having seen the work done on the conseratory, it will be somewhere special.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Gorgeous setting... view across to Lake Ullswater.
Fab rooms .. but check which ones have been refurbed. Jaccuzi bedroom is beuatiful.
Good restaurant food too.
Still some modernising to do, but doesnt spoil the visit at all. V good staff.
Totally recommend.

Room Tip: book refurbed room at front.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watermillock
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater
#1 of 1 in Berrier
Ullswater Guest House
Ullswater Guest House
#2 of 7 in Pooley Bridge

Been to Ullswater View? Share your experiences!