We booked through Superbreak for a 2 night deal with dinner on the first night for £210 in total. This seemed a very good deal for the standard of hotel and food. When we arrived there was a problem with the electricity and we were told there would be no power for a few hours, however, the gentleman on reception did advise us of some local attractions to visit and the power was back on when we returned to the hotel. The room was in the main building and overlooked the gardens. It was a really lovely room with a high ceiling and a big window at the foot of the bed. but it did get a little warm during the day and the window didn't open very wide. The bathroom was really nice and spotlessly clean. It had a heated towel rail. The bed was extremely comfortable so much so that I didn't want to get out of it although the duvet was a bit thick and warm, a problem I find in most hotels.
The breakfast was fantastic with ample choice on the buffet and a good choice of cooked items. My only criticism was that the porridge was too salty but maybe thats the way its supposed to be. The yoghurt and fruits were particularly nice, especially the fresh figs.
Dinner was very good but it was quite minimalist. The chef is obviously very talented but portions were quite small and very 'haute cuisine'. However, it was enough for me and a very enjoyable experience on the whole. It would have been expensive had it not been included in our deal and we chose not to eat there the second night, when we found a nice restaurant in Penrith, just up the road.
Service was excellent and the staff were extremely polite and helpful.
The gardens are very impressive with red sqirrels and rabbits.. You can walk right down to the lake.
This hotel is lovely and well worth a visit but it is quite upmarket and not the type of place you may want after a long day out walking when you simply want to chill out. The atmosphere at dinner and breakfast was quite formal but it is a 4 star hotel and its aim is to provide a luxury break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Leeming House is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels offering luxury and comfort in beautiful surroundings. Set in 22 acres of beautiful grand gardens in the countryside of Cumbria, our 200 year old country house hotel offers breathtaking scenery and fine facilities. With direct access to the shores of Ullswater and a private fishing licence, this hotel is a popular choice for family holidays, business and weddings. Macdonald Hotels' Lake District location in Ullswater offers the perfect retreat whether you're on a romantic break away, a business trip or exploring the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotel.de and Orbitz so you can book your Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater Hotel Penrith
- Macdonald Leeming Hotel Ullswater
- Macdonald Leeming Penrith