Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Another Place, The Lake(Watermillock)
Howtown Hotel(Howtown)
  • Restaurant
Inn on the Lake(Glenridding)
  • Restaurant
1,320 results
All reviewsfeature roomlovely hotelexecutive roomevening mealrestaurant managerfrench doorsbeautiful settingthe ground floorlake districtdining roombalcony overlookingcooked breakfaststaff were excellentfirst classbreakfast was excellenta lovely staylovely room
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night over the Bank Holiday weekend, whilst attending a wedding reception in the area. We thought the hotel was beautiful and in a wonderful location.
We arrived at 2.30pm, and were upgraded to an absolutely fantastic room which was on the top floor at the end of the corridor. The room was on the corner so we had views of Ullswater from two windows, one looking east and one South. We also had a balcony overlooking the gardens, which unfortunately we could not use as it was drizzling.
The room was immaculate and had everything you would expect in a top class hotel. There was plenty of room. The room had a flat screen TV, complimentarry tea and coffee and mineral water, plus trouser press, ironing board and iron. The bed was one of the largest and most comfortable beds I have come across in any hotel. On close inspection I found it was actually two large singe beds which was good, as it meant I did not disturb my wife when I got up in the night. The bathroom was also immaculate with bath and shower.
We did not use the bar, or eat in the restaurant at night, however we did eat Breakfast there the following morning. The restaurant was also immaculate. with wonderful views over the grounds and down to the Lake. Breakfast was of a very high quality.
We found all staff to be wonderful, probably the best we have come across, and I have stayed in hundreds of hotels both in this country and overseas.
My wife and I think this was one of the most enjoyable stays we have had in any hotel.
As I mentioned at the start of the review we were staying for a wedding reception, and therefore booked the hotel in July last year. We got an absolutely fantastic rate of less than £100 for bed and breakfast, although we did have to pay upfront. Some of the other Guests stayed at the Travellodge near Penrith and paid £65 just a the room, so it was a real bargain.
I am already looking forward to staying again, provided I can get a similar rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Fab view overlooking lake. Rooms a little old fahioned but a decent size.

The food is starvation size portions!!!!

Looks nice on the plate but the quantity would not satisfy your average adult who had been out walking all day. Suprise to the hotel but that's what people do in the lakes.

Went to bed hungry. The food owed more to the ego of the chef than the satisfaction and needs of the paying customer.

Demanded and got my money back for the room on departure. Wrote to the MD who passed complaint onto the area manager. Have heard nothing. Obviously this hotel group does not care about it's customers. Give it a miss. We all work to hard for our money to spend it in establishments like this. Back to the USA for next holiday. Mount Olympus National Park Seattle. Fab place great hotels and customer service. If this is the best UK can do they can keep it.

3  Thank blondambition
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Booked a night to celebrate husband's 50th in a beautiful setting and identified that this was a celebration on our booking asking for a table for dinner. Arrived at 4 to dismissive welcome informing us we could only eat at 815 irrespective of our wishes. The room layout with overlooking windows meant that curtains had to be drawn against a lovely afternoon to allow any modesty in dressing which is rather pointless in an hotel boasting of its views. Turning up as demanded for dinner we were kept waiting 25 minutes for a drink (oddly watery vodka and tonic) and 45 minutes for our table. The manager suggested that it was our fault for not booking an earlier table and that they were behind time because the restaurant was busy. Strangely many tables were in fact empty. Dinner was enlivened by the amuse bouche being described as a free starter and being poured over my place mat but the food was good and otherwise well presented. We were astonished to find that this Lakeside hotel only starts serving breakfast at 8 am so our early start leaving the hotel at a not unreasonable time of 7.45 meant that we could not have breakfast unless we were prepared to fork out for room service. Adding insult to injury there was no hot water in the morning for showering so we left the hotel unfed unwashed and unhappy. I would suggest don't go unless you value thin towels and a thinner welcome.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank catloversonthemove
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed here at the end of April on the Travelzoo deal mentioned by others, which offered excellent value for money. Upon arrival our room was upgraded to a feature room which had stunning views of Ullswater from the balcony. The room was also a good size with a very large bathroom and a very comfy bed.

We had breakfast both mornings at the hotel and dinner on the first night. There was a fantastic selection for breakfast and dinner was delicious and very well-presented - though not massive portions, we still felt quite full after 3 courses, two baskets of bread and a bottle of wine! We also enjoyed a fabulous cream tea as part of the deal - again, not massive portions, but quality, well-presented food.

The staff were a real credit to the hotel and I can't understand the negative comments - we had no problems with understanding and their politeness and professionalism shone through. They had the knack of knowing when to offer help but also not appearing overbearing. One thing that really impressed me was at breakfast on the second morning - as we had intended to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing stay, we were a little disconcerted when a family of noisy children charged into the dining room - however the staff quickly escorted them to a separate family room and peace was restored once more!!

The only real negative point is something that the hotel can't really do much about - as it's an old building the room walls are paper-thin. Our neighbours arrived back from the bar at 2am and their voices and the sounds of them putting their clothes away - just everyday noises - were clearly audible and kept me awake for a bit. I would recommend earplugs if you are a light sleeper like me. Additionaly, if you pay the rack rate then it could well be expensive to stay here - the cheapest bottle of wine was around £15, for example. But if you can get a deal like we did, you will get a taste of luxury at a very affordable price - highly recommended!

Reviewed May 1, 2010

...the hotel was a little outdated but in a great location, the staff were not fantastic except the night porter who made some great sandwiches ! For the price you pay a B&B would be a better option.