“Hard to criticise”

Another Place, The Lake
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Watermillock
Reviewed November 7, 2013

There is no point in repeating what others have said. All I could fault was the metal loop had come unscrewed from one of the wooden curtain rings!. I could put up with that! Food was superb, wines good and affordable and service fantastic, both in the Restaurant and particularly with respect to the attentive care of the room. . The secret seems to be attention to detail. Everything was thought of and worked perfectly. For example we had probably the best bathroom we have ever had in a hotel. Expensive Bose Wave radios rather than an alarm clock. Mind you because of this detail it is not cheap so look for discounted prices if you can.

Room Tip: If you want views pay extra for upstairs at the front. If you want to save a lot of money have a st...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rampsbeck, Front Office Manager at Another Place, The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Norherner,
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post a review on Trip Advisor.
The team at Rampsbeck all read these reviews and it is especially pleasing to read favourable ones like yours, it is a big boost to the whole team, thank you.
We have four categories of rooms, Standard, Superior Standard, Mini Deluxe and Deluxe, all of the rooms have been furnished to the same high quality and really the only difference in the categories are the size and view from the rooms. At the risk of repeating myself I do say that our team on Reception are always happy to discuss the rooms prior to booking, this way we ensure you have the room that fits your requirements. For future guest's reading this please do just pick up the phone!
Once again many thanks for all of your kind words and if I can just point out the curtain ring has now been re-attached !!
Best wishes,

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Returning to the Rampsbeck was like returning home - except that certain things had changed. The ownership is the same but the management and staff are almost totally different. But like any well run organisation this did not matter one jot!
Monika has a stylish and fun way of dealing with you, yet retaining the professional distance necessary. The dining room staff were all excellent and provided the complete service with a smile.
The chef had also changed from my last visit, but I am glad to say that Ben more than lived up to my high expectations from previous visits.
If you want a holiday or short break that gives you style, elegance, tranquillity, views, luxurious room, gourmet food at an affordable price, all in a beautiful surroundings -then Rampsbeck is for you.
My wife and I hope to return next year after having to cut short our stay due to illness.
Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a room upgrade to Mini Deluxe or deluxe
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ValvesRus,
Many thanks to you for posting another review on Trip Advisor.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your third stay with us, it is just a shame that it had to be cut short. I hope all is well now.
We have had some staff changes since your last stay at Rampsbeck but some of the "old timers" are still here, maybe they were on their days off during your time here, I know I was off duty at the time which is a shame as I, as do the others, always look forward to catching up with our regulars !! Maybe next time !
Ben and Monica have been with us for a few month now and both have become popular members not only with the team but with our guest's too, both being willing to go that extra mile .
I look forward to a catch up with you both on your next stay at Rampsbeck,
kindest regards to you both,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Everything went smoothly from the moment of arrival to departure. A couple of issues we raised on getting to our room were dealt with quickly and professionally. The room was tastefully decorated and the bathroom kitted out to a high standard.

The staff friendly and attentive.

The food was fantastic, a real treat, especially as we have specific dietary requirements. The chef, rather than simply removing items from the menu, reworked the dishes to our requirements, even creating a separate dessert just for us and not to mention the gluten free birthday cake he made, amazing.

The atmosphere of the hotel, for such a grand building, is very relaxed and I think this is the thing that came across most, as we felt right at home the minute we walked through the door.

We will be back!

Dear blueperil,
Thank you for posting such positive feedback on Trip Advisor.
The team at Rampsbeck are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to offering you the same warm hospitality on your next visit,
Kindest regards

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have just returned from a night stay at the Rampsbeck which I can only describe as stunning in every way. We got a deal for dinner bed and breakfast and the service was second to none, much better than their famous Michelin starred competitor (SB)!! The 6 course meal was adapted specially for our gluten and lactose free diets and by this I mean that they swapped things around rather than just removing items, yes the portions were smallish but perfectly formed and we did not feel hungry afterwards. They even made my partner his own gluten free birthday cake! The bedroom had wonderful views over the lake and the whole place was so peaceful. The best thing about it was the space, space to sit and relax and space to eat your breakfast in style. Gorgeous interiors and furnishings, love it, cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rampsbeck, Front Office Manager at Another Place, The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Lancashire_ Freckle,
Thank you for posting a review so soon after your recent overnight stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you really enjoyed your time at Rampsbeck and that you cannot wait to come back.
I have replied in previous posts that our fantastic team in the kitchen, led by Ben our Head Chef are always willing to cook to a guest's requirements. [it is always advisable to mention these at time of booking]
Many thanks once again for all of your lovely comments which have as usual been passed on to the rest of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future,
kindest regards

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We booked three nights' dinner,bed and breakfast to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found perfection from the moment we were welcomed by Sonia until our departure. We booked the Martindale Junior suite which consisted of a large bedroom, sitting area, large ensuite bathroom with bath and separate shower and lovely views over the lake and gardens. The staff were friendly,attentive and helpful. All meals were delicious - the dinner menu changed daily, breakfast had lots of choice. Decor was perfect, gardens maintained well and there was a lovely walk through fields down to the lakeside. We would unhesitatingly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rampsbeck, Front Office Manager at Another Place, The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Deejypea,
Thank you for posting an amazing review on Trip Advisor after your stay with us.
It was our pleasure to ensure your stay met -and exceeded- your expectations of your time at Rampsbeck.
Martindale is a stunning room, it is one of our Mini Deluxe rooms and I have to say that the views from it are quite stunning. For the benefit of other future guest's reading this review may I just say that our Reception Team are always happy to discuss each of our 19 rooms prior to booking, please do just call us.
Once again may I say how pleasing it is to read that that you enjoyed your Anniversary break with us.
Warm regards to you both,

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I've visited twice now. The hotel is in truly beautiful and unspoilt surroundings. Apart from the wonderful views and access to the lakes the main reason to visit is the food. The food is never less than of a high quality and is sometimes exceptional. Rooms are well appointed and maintained. I have no criticisms at all, which is unusual for me!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Capital Stereo,
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor after your second visit to us,
I am delighted to read that there are no criticisms from you....we aim to please!!!
Seriously though reviews such as yours are a delight to read and a huge boost to our hardworking team, thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rampsbeck in the not too distant future,
Warm wishes to you

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Like several other of the reviews, I went here with my husband on a Secret Escapes booking. Sadly not so secret any more. It was lovely, even in the rain.
We had a standard room but I asked if it could have a lake view. They gave us one that included the garden too and sounded apologetic as it wasn't as good as the higher priced rooms. Well, I for one was not disappointed. The view was across the gardens, to the lake. It was lovely with the autumnal colours in the garden and on the fells and boats moored on the lake. Rabbits could be seen chasing each other and gamboling on the grass in the morning and evening.
It was warm and cosy, handy as we had one awful day where it poured all day. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. As we entered the door our bags were promptly taken from us and taken to the room. Being a standard room it wasn't huge but it was still a lovely room.
There was a bowl of fruit in the room and this, along with the tea, coffee etc was topped up in the morning and when the bed was turned down in the evening.
At first, some might think the meals small but with four courses, aperitifs and petite fours believe me, there wasn't room for anything else.

There are several lovely lounges where you can take afternoon tea, sit and read or just take in the views as the hotel looks out onto Ullswater and the grounds actually go down to the Lake, you are that close. There is something decadent about sitting back having afternoon tea as the original owners must have done many many years ago.

There is free wi-fi but its a bit hit and miss, but given such a lovely place, its nice to forget all the technology and just enjoy the peace. The Lake District is bound to have problems with Broadband.

I cant recommend the hotel enough - go! Give yourself a well deserved rest and break.
My one recommendation to the hotel, get at least 2 vegetarian options on the menu. There was just one starter and one main which were the same both nights. I'm not veggie so it wasn't a problem but I often eat veggie fare so I ended up having the same starter and main both nights as I couldn't bring myself to eat pigeon, rabbit or sweetbreads.

I cant wait to try and go back again. I think Springtime would be delightful. Thank you to all the staff who made it a lovely experience

Dear Lyn B,
Many thanks for posting a kind review on Trip Advisor, we really do appreciate it.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your time at Rampsbeck and that you look forward to making a return visit.
All seasons here are stunning, the colours of Autumn, snow on the tops in winter and new buds peeking through in Spring, I would struggle to say which was my favourite season at Rampsbeck!
Having said that cocooned on a squashy sofa , in front of a roaring log fire with a warm winters Pimms in my hand....well I have to say that does take some beating!!
Thank you again for all of your kind comments, looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future,
Best wishes
Sonya

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watermillock
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Another Place, The Lake? Share your experiences!