“Afternoon tea was superb!”
Review of Rampsbeck Country House Hotel - CLOSED

Rampsbeck Country House Hotel
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I went here for a birthday afternoon tea.

What wonderful scones and cake! A real treat! Just what I needed to fill the hole from breakfast!

The service was polite, friendly and the views were stunning.

Will definitely be coming back here, and perhaps stay here next time too!

Rampsbeck, Rampsbeck representative at Rampsbeck Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Kim J,
Thanks for posting a review on Trip Advisor after your recent birthday treat Afternoon Tea with us.
Ben, our Head Chef has recently made a few changes to the Afternoon Tea, and the response has been very positive, we are getting lots of fantastic feedback about the Teas.
For those guests who cannot manage a Full Afternoon Tea we also have the Mell Fell Tea, which is a selection of sandwiches, scones and a hot beverage of your choice, we really do have Afternoon Teas to suit all appetites, please do ask our Reception team when calling to book or have a browse through our menu,
Thank you again for taking the time to post a review,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We set off to the Lakes for a few days of good food with some friends, and Rampsbeck was our first stop. We stayed here for two nights before moving onto L'Enclume.

Food was excellent both nights, although I personally find the menu, and cooking, on the second night far better than on the first.

There were 8 of us the first night. When we arrived at the hotel, I was told that we would be in the private dining room, with lovely views over the hotel grounds (not the lake), without extra charge. That was a nice touch I thought.

We had champagne and canapés in the drawing room before moving into the private room for dinner proper. They were good canapés, nothing too special to write about though.

Amuse bouche was vine tomato soup with pesto. It was good, although I found it a little bland. For starters, I chose pigeon served with pearl barly. when it arrived, the pigeon looked perfectly cooked, a nice pink. But it was actually a little bit of hit and miss, some part of the meat was very tender, but some other parts very chewy. All my friends, however, enjoyed their starters. The favourite was the lemon sole. Their words were "very light and melted in your mouth".

6 of us opted for the 42-day aged beef sirloin, one for fish (seabass I think), and the other for lamb. The beef was good but did not wow me. The cooking was excellent, it was just that I didn't rate the quality of the beef. It was not as succulent as I would normally expect from that cut of beef. I didn't try the fish, but the lamb was certainly the winner of the night.

For dessert, I had the cheeseboard, while my friends tried the soufflé. The cheeseboard had a good selection, one or two more smelly ones, and some milder more ordinary choices for the unadventurous. This was served with a wide choice of biscuits and some nice grapes and celery sticks. There is an extra £5 charge if you choose the cheeseboard.

Personally, I think dinner on the second night was far better. There were only 4 of us staying, so we had a lovely table overlooking the lake. Beautiful setting which immediately puts you in a very relaxing mood. Canapes were a little more interesting than the night before too, although the amuse bouche, leek and potato soup, did not really "amuse" my taste buds.

I opted for the pan fried froie gras as starter. That was gorgeous, full of flavours and simply melted in the mouth. That was definitely fine dining. It was truly enjoyable where all your taste buds come alive.

For mains, I had the venison steak. Beautiful cut of meat, succulently tasty. Again, a truly enjoyable dish.

Dessert was pretty much the same for me - cheeseboard although I was actually given a cheese menu to choose from on the second night. That was definitely worthwhile as I could read all about the different cheese that I ate on the first night.

The wine list is good, and very reasonably priced. Some decent old world to go with the lovely food. Service was impeccable - the staff were attentive without being over-bearing.

Both meals were rounded off with coffees, teas and petit-fours. The saffron and white chocolate ganache deserves a special mention, as did the rum and raisin madeleine.

All in all, the food was excellent in most parts, and the setting and service complement the food well, making it a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I can definitely recommend this to anyone wanting an indulgent or romantic weekend. We will for sure return in the future.

Dear Gizzmopuppet,
Many thanks for posting such an in depth review on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us.
We are delighted to read that over all you enjoyed your time with us and that is was a "Good start to your gastro trip".
Please do come and visit us again in the future,

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited here on a saturday lunch. Staff were friendly and attentive without being overly so. Two of us had the Breadcrumbed Brie which was lovely and gooey, one had Poached Pears which she said was very tasty. We all the had Omelettes - cheese and Mushroom, which were perfectly cooked with a side order of chips to share (I don't think they were home made but they were very nice nevertheless). We were getting a little full by now so shared a bowl of the Home Made Ice cream which was divine (Pistachio, Raspberry, Chocolate & Orange & Lemon Meringue) I think the food is reasonably priced with views to die for and a gorgeous setting in a beautiful country house hotel and we will definitely be back!

Dear MGR99,
Many thanks for sharing your dining experience at Rampsbeck with others on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your lunch with us. Why don't you try our Afternoon Tea next time?
What could be better than sat in our gardens on a lovely sunny day with a choice of sandwiches, cakes and scones with lashings of homemade preserves and clotted cream....you could even choose a glass of champagne to finish it off!!!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rampsbeck,

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I popped in at around 5.15pm hoping that they could still do an afternoon tea. In luck as I was offered the Mell Fell Afternoon Tea as they only had scones left. Perfect as having the cakes and scones would have been too much for me. The sandwiches were delicious and the scone with cream and jam absolutely scrumptious. Very light.
7 of us visiting the area towards the end of April for a special weekend trip and a visit to the Rampsbeck for Sunday afternoon tea is now on the itinerary. Looking forward to it.

Rampsbeck, Rampsbeck representative at Rampsbeck Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Helloevans,
I totally agree with the title of your review !
Thanks for posting a review on Trip Advisor after your recent impromptu stop at Rampsbeck for Afternoon Tea.
Our Afternoon selection really does cover all appetites, from the Ullswater Full Tea, Mell Fell Sweet Tea to the ever popular Cream Tea, Guests may also choose any item on its own from the Menu too.
It is advisable to book if you and your guests wish to have our Full Afternoon Tea when you visit in April, please do call our Reception team to do so,
We look forward to welcoming you and your guests to Rampsbeck,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great food, attentive service, you get what you pay for. Will deco be back. Recommended for romantic meals and special occasions.

Dear BCMMan,
Many thanks for posting such kind comments on Trip Advisor.
The team at Rampsbeck really do work hard to live up to the fantastic reputation we have achieved and so it is always nice to read that guests recognise this, thank you on behalf of the team here at Rampsbeck,
We look forward to offering you our hospitality on your next visit,
Best wishes,