“The most disgusting breakfast I have ever been served”

The Grant Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Ramsbottom B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for two nights. I have to say that the manager was a charming and very helpful chap. The rooms were nice and he made every effort to accomodate every request. The pub was friendly and lively the night we arrived, and he was cheerful and hospitable behind the bar. He also served at breakfast on our first morning, which was very good.
Unfortunately...Sunday was his day off. The duty manager, in his absence, was a young man who appeared to be cooking and waiting on at the same time. When we arrived there were four tables occupied in the dining room all of whom were kept waiting up to half an hour to place their order. In the meantime,we all weakest tea I have ever experienced and coffee which resembled hot water with the very slightest coffee coloured hue to keep them refreshed. There was no milk, no orange juice, and no cereal bowls. The crockery and cutlery were unclean, and my cereal spoon was a large serving spoon.
Our duty manager was joined at around 9.30 by a young chap wearing a track suit top who took over the serving duties.
He informed us that there was no bacon, and gave us an extra sausage to compensate. My breakfast also contained a single fragment of mushroom.
Some sympathy may have been extended had the whole dish not been stone cold and the sausages almost raw and completely inedible. They looked as if they had been taken out of the fridge and placed straight onto the plate. When informed, and asked to cook our breakfast, our tracksuited friend informed us that the duty manager would be out in a moment to solve the problem. He never appreared, instead dismissing the situation and retiring to the office behind reception to commence other duties. Track suit meanwhile was left to deal with a barrage of 'I haven't got this...', and 'there is no...' and 'my---- is not clean...' enquiries.
I approached our duty manager at reception to ask if he could heat my breakfast up for me, and he responded by informing me in an extremely rude and dismissive manner that he had 'loads of other things to do'. When I pointed out that taking care of his guests should be a little higher on his priorities, he gruffly informed me that I could have a refund of £5 for the breakfast. He handed me a form to sign off and presented me with £5. This was supposed to be an adequate refund for not one, but two breakfasts! I told him I did not consider it to be an adequate refund and asked him what the complaints procedure was, he asked me to write my name and telephone number down and told me that I would receive a call from 'head office' later in the week. He made no attempt to resolve the situation by cooking our food properly.
We also did not receive any clean towels for our second morning at the hotel.
I feel sorry for the manager, who, I reiterate, gave us oustanding service. I feel sorry for him because it is clearly not possible for him to take a day off without his establishment degenerating into a chaos which would have been comic had it not been for the quite disgraceful rudeness of his stand in duty manager.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Outandabout186338

Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel whilst visiting relatives in the local area, it also happened to be the venue for a Christening party I attended the following day.
I booked the hotel by phone about a week before at a single rate of £45 B&B, which seemed to me to be a little cheap for a hotel.
On arrival I was greeted at reception by the duty manager who politely inducted me into the hotel, checked me in, advised of the details of breakfast and pointed me to my room.
The room itself was small (but then I did book a single) and was adequate for the one night. The room was very clean, tea and coffee facilites, hair dryer and phone.
Three areas for improvement here: the hotel directory is old, and was dirty, it needs regularly updating with new information (particularly there is no TV channel directory), the TV is fixed too high on the bedroom wall so it cannot be seen comfortably from the bed, the shower is very weak.
On the menu it is proudly stated that "all food is prepared by a former asssitant to a Great British Menu winner". Thankfully (for the chef) his former mentor is not mentioned by name, and probably just as well, as the "protege" does not seem to have picked up any valuable lessons. The menu is very basic and lacks any form of fresh or local food. The staple items consist of baguettes or jacket potatoes, or pies, pasties or scampi and the like. This is such an obvious area for improvement. The area in general seems to lack a good value evening British restaurant, and with such a good central location, this could really be capitalised on. However in order to do so, they would need to employ a chef with a much greater passion for food than the current incumbent.
My experience of breakfast sums this up well. The restaurant (only open for breakfast and only for residents) is dark and in need of a facelift, if only a lick of paint! (This can be said for most of the public areas of the hotel). Most of the tables are set against walls or in dark corners which is unappealing.
There was a good selection of fruit juices and cereals, but the glasses were dirty (needed polishing) as was the crockery (perhaps the dishwasher needs a clean?). A gentleman came out to take my order (wearing shirt and tie, an improvement on the polo shirt wearing duty manager from the night before!). He took my order and my breakfast duly arrived a few minutes later. Sadly the quality of the food (as I had suspected) was not up to much. Very cheap sausages, overcooked and dry bacon, tasteless scrambled egg, and burnt toast led to not such a nice combination. Finally on the restaurant side, I would never allow my staff to park their bicycle on the rear wall of the restaurant! It really smacks of unprofessionalism.
On to the christening lunch (which I wasn't paying for so mustn't grumble too much) but a couple of points. There was a 40th birthday party in the function room the night before (you should really let guests know about the noise when they are checking in!). The floor had not been cleaned properly, the table cloths were stained, there were "Happy 40th" balloons floating on the ceiling. The function room bar had that "not been properly cleaned" smell. I think worst of all was that last night's duty manager was still there in what looked like the same polo shirt, and hadn't even bothered to shave.
To the owner: You own a potentially thriving business but either you or your staff have lost your way. It saddens me to see a property like this where standards have dropped to such a low that no one really seems to care anymore, we are in the hospitality business for a reason, but in this hotel there is no pride in what you do. I don't know your local market but it seems to me that you might be doing a good job of alienating any business you could have. My strongest recommendation: watch a couple of epoisodes of the Hotel Inspector on Channel Five for some ideas on how to refresh your business, you really need it.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Eventrob
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I went to the Grant Arms Hotel in Ramsbottom to visit friends who stayed there. We planned to have breakfast together. On arrival at 8.30 am my wife and I had difficulty getting into the hotel as all doors were still locked. The pavements outside were strewn with cigarette ends.
Eventually we gained access and were asked to wait in the dining room. It did not appear that any other guests were having breakfast. The tables still had crumbs from a previous time. The tables were not set. In the corner were a few small cereal packets together with an empty Coke bottle. There was a filter coffee machine switched on but it was unclear if the coffee was fresh or was from the previous evening.
We shook the table clothes and set the table ourselves. A waitress arrived and asked what we wanted. There was no menu but she assured us that we could have cooked breakfast. My friend asked for grapefruit juice but was told they did not have any.
We asked for toast and later received a pile of bread on one plate and a pile of toast on another.
The cooked breakfast, in fact, was nicely cooked.
The view from the dining room was across a deserted weed strewn patio. The canopies and gazebo had blown over and had not been removed.
I can understand that owners cannot change decor and fittings over night but there is no excuse for not providing first rate service in clean surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank retiredlancslad
GrantArms, Manager at The Grant Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2009

In reply to a comment dated 20 October
The hotel would not normally open the doors to the public before all cleaning duties have been completed. Hotel guests are informed that rooms are not available until 2pm again after all rooms have been cleaned and checked. The situation with the cigarettes on the pavement would have been dealt with during the normal morning cleaning duties. Without reiterating that at this time in the morning cleaning duties would have been in progress and the fact that no people were booked in for breakfast, whilst this does not excuse what appears to be disarray this would have been rectified by the end of the morning cleaning shifts. As you had made no prior arrangements for breakfast and as it is not hotel policy to just serve breakfast then although we would endeavour to clear the tables sooner this we feel this is an unfair comment against the Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your cooked breakfast as many of our guests do. I have noted your comments with regards to the patio area and have taken steps to clear this area.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

After attending an event I returned to the hotel in the early hours to find it locked with no night porter on duty. I remained outside the hotel for more than three hours, ringing the telephone and the bell at the entrance next to a sign which instructed guests to ring for entry, until 6.35 a.m.
My only consolation for those hours was that it was me on the street outside, and not a vulnerable young woman. If the weather had been less clement, I would have been in serious danger.
Not only was the Manager (Rick) not available to speak to when I left, but he did not phone me later as I had requested. When I rang him, I received an arrogant repetition of "What do you want me to do?" and no acceptance of his failure to take the most basic care of a guest, and it was even suggested that my return time was irresponsible. I was also accused of "nearly assaulting" the guest who eventually allowed me access as he left - in fact we had a conversation and a joke about the matter after he had recognised my distress in the situation. If the Hotel "cannot find trustworthy people to be night porters" as the receptionist told me when I was not paying my bill, then it is not in a position to be open for business as a Hotel.
The Grant Arms gave me the worst hotel experince of my life.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank GeraldCroft
GrantArms, Manager at The Grant Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2009

It is our policy at the Grant not to operate a 24 hour reception or night porter service at present, but all guests are made aware of our policy on arrival. Exceptions can be made with prior arrangement if needed, however this guest did not make any arrangements nor indicate that he would be away from the Hotel until after 3am. When our guest returned to the hotel he rested for a time in his room, before making his way to the restaurant for breakfast. The receptionist made a decision not to charge the guest but to arrange for the Manager to contact him later and discuss the situation further. Before this could happen the guest rang the hotel and spoke with the Manager a decision was made not to make any charge on this occasion due to the misunderstanding. The client remained unsatisfied with our response however we feel we acted reasonably.

Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed in the Grants Arms Hotel for 3 nights in August. I have to say, for the price, the room was quite a let down. The room was tiny, really cramped and quite claustraphobic. The Service left a little to be desired with the promise of my room being cleaned every day which never happened and the lack of an ironing board which had broken and not been replaced. The hotel itself though, is in a prime location, right in the heart of Ramsbottom and across the road from a bus stop in to Bury, and just up the road from the East Lancashire Railway. Not a place i would stay again unless they dropped the prices considerably

3  Thank Tigerfeet2210
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We've stayed at the Grant Arms Hotel every Whitsun Bank Holiday Weekend for the last five years for the1940's weekend at the East Lancs Railway yes it was shabby and run down but always clean and really nice helpful staff BUT THIS YEAR WHAT A SURPRISE It had been taken over by a new manager and is being refurbed - the rooms are much better and decor is fresh and new - The breakfast is to be recommended - nothing is too much trouble for Rick and his staff they made our stay very pleasant - we will be so looking forward to our next visit as there has been such a vast improvement and we can not thank rick and his staff enough for all their care and attention.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
GrantArms, Manager at The Grant Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2009

We are extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay, and that our efforts in the refurbishments we are making are worth while, and added to your enjoyment and comfort during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you as guests again whenever it may be.

Reviewed October 24, 2008

We only stayed one night.

This was obviously a very big house once and they have divided up those big rooms cheaply with plasterboard making many much smaller rooms. There is no soundproofing between the rooms so not for romantic couples.

The entrance area is a disater zone. Completely neglected and ramshackled. I couldn't believe that this belonged to a hotel.

The rooms are very small and worst of all the hotel was virtually empty and they didn't have the good business sense to put us in bigger rooms. The rooms did not deserve to be called hotel rooms the quality is about the same as a B&B.

The only good thing about it was that there is a popular and busy pub downstairs so a good place for a nightcap. The bar serves food during the day even if the food tasted pre-cooked from a bag and of course it is right in the very centre of the town.

The owners need to spend money on the hotel both inside and out and build better partian walls between the rooms. However, you do feel they have given up the ghost and it won't survive for much longer.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Mr_Nomad

Since taking over the Hotel in December 2008 we have refurbished the Bedrooms, Reception and Entrance Area. We were disappointed to hear your stay was not to the standards we would expect, or hope to achieve ourselves. If you are ever in the area again please feel free to call in and we would be more then pleased to show you the improvements we have made and welcome you as guests again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsbottom
Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Eagle and Child  Ramsbottom
Eagle and Child Ramsbottom
#1 of 2 in Ramsbottom

Been to The Grant Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!