“Quaint Happy Quirky Hotel with genuine service - A hidden gem”

Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ramsbottom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The name says it - a converted building and that is a strength [and it's one limitation]. My two teenage daughters and me stayed several nights over the Xmas period and in three different rooms. This is not a chain with identical rooms, but each was fine and all had a good view.
The leisure centre has a medium sized pool and a good gym and is comfortable. There are hotels with better pools nearby - the Last Drop Inn for example - but this is fine for families, or children.
In summary, the rooms and facilities are very good.
Very pleasantly located it could be the centre for a relaxing weekend.
The food was first rate - we had dinner in the restaurant, room service meals, bar service meals, and breakfast. All excellent and satisfying. The menu is imaginative without being overly ornate and is based on good quality fresh ingredients. A good wine list adds to the enjoyment.
The real plus was the service. From the restaurant bar staff to the reception, who arranged for the restaurant to remain open a little later when we were late back in the evening, everyone was friendly and helpful.
The strength of the quirkiness of the hotel is also it's weakness. This is not suitable for anyone of reduced mobility. The hotel clings to a hill and as such has many stairs.
I was at the hotel for leisure, and can heartily recommend it for that. However, this is the sort of hotel I look for when on business as if non-formulaic and is comfortable, friendly, and relaxing. I can especially recommend it for the regular business-traveler.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jamesguest2016
VickyMcLeod, Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Customer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Best Western Old Mill Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed all different aspects of your stay with us from the food in our restaurant, the leisure facilities and the rooms, i am also delighted that you found the service to be of a good standard.

I hope we have the oppurtunity to welcome you back to the Best Western Old Mill Hotel in the near future.

Vicky Mcleod

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Weekend if you want a quiet room ask, Staff listen and always there to help. Saturday Weddings and the Friday before can be great for the wedding guests but noisy for 'others' Happy noise though. Still very good VFM pool Spa Gym Breakfast all excellent,

• Stayed: December 2012
VickyMcLeod, Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Customer,

Thankyou for such a kind review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our leisure facilities.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Have a lovely new year.

Old Mill Hotel

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Went here last week for my works xmas party. Food was appalling - cannelloni (mush), served with new potatoes!!! Carrots and sprouts so hard unable to cut through them, plastic turkey, burnt stuffing and yorkshire pud, fresh fruit salad served in orange juice (not fresh either, the stuff out of a carton). To top it all, the majority of people had pre-ordered (weeks ago), cheesecake for dessert and were told there wasn't any!!! At £30 per head it wasn't cheap - Will not be going back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your party night with us.

With regards to the cheesecake i can confirm that although this shouldn't have happened, it was a supplier error which is why we provided complimentary wine aswell as an alternative dessert, i would like to give you my sincerest apologies for this.

I will be speaking to the chef regarding the rest of the menu and passing on your comments to him.

I would like to thank you for your review.

kind Regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2012

First time. Will not be the last. Absolutely excellent VFM. What more can you ask for.
The sign could be slightly better for guests arriving in the dark and lm not sure where I'll sit outside when the summer comes but hey l've only stayed in November and l've told you believe me its good value for money...from someone who looks after the pennies!

• Stayed: November 2012
VickyMcLeod, Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Customer,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western Old Mill Hotel and that you found it to be good value for money.

Thank you for such a kind review of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

needed a one night break so this seemed to fit the bill, all the staff were very helpful and friendly
managed to get a bit of exercise in the well equiped gym and had a dip in the smallbut adequate pool .the steam room had a rather strong smell of damp and mould which was a bit of a concern especially when some air freshner spray was left in the steam room. staff seemed a bit scarce in the bar area especially as there was a live england football game on, i think it would have been advantagious to the hotel to have had the bar fully staffed on this occasion, otherwise everything was excellent

Room Tip: no ground floor rooms , stairs could be a problem to some clients
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
RobBolholt, Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Customer,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. I am glad that during your stay with us you found the staff to be helpful and friendly.

With regards to the smell in the steam room this was due to the fact that it has recently has a new pipe fitted and i would like to apologise for any inconvienience caused due to this.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will consider us for another stay.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed here now for 3 weeks on business, and I cannot speak highly enough of the hotel and staff, mainly Amber and Vicky for their professionalism in making me feel at home. Giving the circumstances I was offered an excellent rate and will be happily staying here until Christmas. The food is excellent , however Emma (Leisure) has set about getting me trim for Christmas so has limited the amount of time I spend in the bar area watching sky sports!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Customer,

I would like to thank you for such a kind review of our hotel and i am glad that you enjoy your stays with us and that the team always make you feel welcome.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Gnereal Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I arrived at the Old Mill Hotel in Ramsbottom about 6pm on Saturday 10th November after a long journey from London, and the receptionist who dealt with our booking was lack lustre and barely spoke to us while booking us in, so it wasn't a good start. Our room, No 25, was a little tatty and when I used the shower I noticed that the shower fixing was coming away from the wall.

The real problem that I had was when we went down for breakfast on Sunday morning. We arrived in the restaurant at 9.15am and there were no croissants left, when I asked if we could order some, I was told that we were too late and should have come down earlier! How ridiculous as breakfast didn't finish until 10am. We then decide to have an English breakfast and the plate came up and was swimming in fat/oil from the fried egg and was uneatable, but when I raised my complaint with one of your restaurant staff, he just shrugged.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RobBolholt, Manager at Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Best Western Old Mill Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied by your stay with us and will be investigating the issues you have raised . Your comments help us improve our standards and service and we thank you for this.

Kind Regards

Vicky McLeod

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsbottom
Red Hall Hotel
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Old Mill Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!