“Friendly pub with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Railway

The Railway
Ranked #36 of 46 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, European
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Rossendale
“Friendly pub with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have visited several times since it re- opened either with my wife or wider family and went there again for lunch last week. Always a friendly reception even when very busy. Food is to a good standard and choice is fine for a local pub. Portions sizes are about right although my wife did struggle to eat all of the substantial club sandwich, I had to help out! I had the fish and chips. Fish was very tasty and the chips were good and chunky. i'm not a fan of mushy peas but the ones served were quite enjoyable. The staff were attentive and came to check everything was ok and that we were enjoying the food.
It was quiet on our last Visit but I've been there when it has been very busy and again the service and food have been very good.

• Visited November 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A Piece of Living History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Wonderful, nostalgic and exciting! You can pay to ride, or watch for nothing. The locos and rolling stock on this heritage railway are lovingly restored and beautifully turned out.

Visited September 2012
Wigan, United Kingdom
“what a difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

the change in this pub is amazing, it used to be a real dive but on visiting today its totally changed, lovely layout well decorated, cask ales on tap and really nice food. Fires on too which gave it a real homely feel, will definitely return next time i am in Ramsbottom

• Visited October 2012
Andrew_Railway, Owner at The Railway, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments we are trying hard to make the place a warm and friendly place, appreciate your visit and comments.
Bury, Lancs
“Lights too bright at night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Place has been done up nice and they seem to be keeping the local drunks out which is a blessing but the lights were on so bright that there was no ambience, it was like sitting in a harsh living room. Get some dimmer switches please!

Andrew_Railway, Owner at The Railway, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for your helpful comment; we do want to create the right ambience. Since we refurbished we have had some difficulties with the lighting scheme. Almost all the candle bulbs and spotlights installed have blown so we are progressively replacing them with low energy alternatives. I have asked the manager to experiment with the lighting to create more of a mood. I hope you will see an improvement with lower lighting levels over the next few weeks with the added bonus that it should reduce our electricity bill!
Ramsbottom
“Friendly staff but where were the customers?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Went with my wife & daughter last Friday lunchtime to "test" this re-furbished pub as I was thinking of taking some colleagues there next week.

It worried me a little when we arrived at circa 1pm to find it virtually deserted, and only one couple eating. But hey, maybe people were at work, so we weren't put off. The beer was fine & the menu seemed adequate if not overly exciting, with prices on a par with other eateries in the local area. The waitress/barmaid (she seemed to be the only person on duty) was friendly & chatty.

The ladies wren't overly hungry so ordered a starter of chicken goujons with a side of chips & "cheesy" chips. I decided on the fish & chips. Service was a little slow, but as they had so few customers maybe things needed heating up?

Sadly when the food arrived it was below par. The ordinary chips where excellent, but the "cheesy" version were smothered in far too much cheese, towards the bottom of the bowl it was just a congealed mass of solidified cheese. The goujons themselves were very large, a more than ample "starter" but sadly on this occasion were over-cooked, making the chicken rather tasteless & dry.

My main arrived with what appeared to be an attempt at a cube of chips but as they weren't square or equal sizes to start with it looked like a rather sad and small portion of just 9 chips. The fish itself was excellent, lovely white fish & well cooked. The meal was served with mushy peas & some sort of side salad & dressing. Unfortunately the peas were pretty inedible so I took them back to the waitress who returned later with the same food (minus peas) on a fresh plate - no explanation or apology forthcoming from the kitchen (or offer of replacement peas).

I was waiting to be asked whether or not we had enjoyed our meal to give some feedback, but nobody came to ask, and that told us everything we needed to know.

I've read some other reports on here which seem very good, so maybe they were just having an off day last Friday - I hope so.

I do like to support local business, I'm local to Ramsbottom, but our experience (if I'm being kind) was average at best, and I won't be taking anyone back there for a while - sorry folks.

• Visited September 2012
Andrew_Railway, Owner at The Railway, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your constructive comments we are very sorry that we didn’t meet with your expectations on this occasion. As a new business we recognise the importance of addressing our customer’s feedback, therefore I have taken the opportunity to discuss your comments with both the Manager and Head Chef. As you mentioned it was a particularly quiet Friday lunchtime and I have been informed that because of that both my senior managers took the opportunity to visit a supplier. They are sorry they were not on site to attend to your problems personally and feel that had one of them been there the situation may have been handled differently. Notwithstanding this all our staff have been instructed on how to deal with customer issues and following your review we have taken the opportunity to remind them of that training.
The garnish used on the peas may not be to everyone’s liking and we agree you should have been given a choice of replacement peas without the garnish rather than just taking the easy option of re-plating your meal without the peas.
Judging from the other comments received both on trip adviser and in person from other diners we do feel your experience was a deviation from our normal good quality and service.
We really value local business and aim to be an asset to the town so we hope you will call in or give us a call on 01706 558284 ask for Jotham or Matt, hopefully they will be able to persuade you to give us another try.
Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention, please rest assured we have used your comments to remind all concerned of how important it is to provide outstanding service to all our customers all of the time.