“Getting better with time”
Review of Hearth of the Ram

Hearth of the Ram
Ranked #19 of 49 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been here several times now and the food continues improving all the time. The menu is limited but everything I have tried has been lovely, well cooked and well presented. Prices are quite high, perhaps just a little too high to 'pop in' on a regular basis and as mentioned by another reviewer, I do think the hearth needs to be careful not to price themselves out of the market as the number of good to excellent gastro pubs are increasing in the area - finally. That said, for special occasions and the 'odd' meal out, the prices are reasonable and the food worth the money. My only real gripe is the service. When paying these prices you want excellent service and whilst staff are friendly and seem to know their stuff, I have noticed a tendency to stand chatting whilst plates are left on tables. On my last visit our plates were only cleared when the owner(?) was spotted walking into the restaurant. Despite this I will visit many times to come I'm sure. It's a nice, friendly place to go for good food.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just had my 4th trip to the Ram and felt I needed to share my experiences. Have eaten 2 lunches and 2 evening meals and have not been disappointed once. The brunch menu is varied and reasonable, the pork sandwich (homemade bun) is yummy, as are the thrice cooked chips. I had the fish pie yesterday and found it oozing with fish and prawns. The rump of lamb I had on Christmas Eve was historic, the best lamb I have tasted (and I am a butchers daughter). The cheese for desert is generous and comes with lovely chutneys and home made crackers.
The young man who served last night (21/1/13) was charming and helpful and even though we turned up lateish on a cold, dark Monday night in January the ambiance and service were as good as at any other time. Price is good for what you get, it's only with drinks that it can get expensive but that's the same at most places. Childrenare are more than welcome and are acommodated well. Am hoping standards remain high as my experience is that restaurants get complacent or loose their chef. As I don't want to sound too gushing I would just mention that I like a biscuit or such with coffee!!!!! Well done x

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just about recovered from a long night of excellent food and drinks at the Hearth, Euan and the team were superb; from the start point 12 months ago choosing menu's to finally rolling out of the door in the wee small hours on Sunday morning this was service at its best. 36 people all went home after having enjoyed some fanatastic food (3 courses for under £30) and with great memories, these more than made up for any delicate heads on the Sunday morning.....

Good service isn't just about pampering to the size of the bill it is about having a motivated and driven team of individuals who want to deliver and more importantly know how to deliver - this is one of the rare places where this has been achieved, from the youngest bar staff to the man at the top. What's more I've enjoyed the same level of service here having a coffee and a light snack.

The only problem I have is sharing such a good review, as it means others will know about Ramsbottoms star pub... We will be back and hopefully it won't be too busy that we can't get in!!

1  Thank John L
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have visited tis pub/restaurant 4 times the service and food on the first occasion was very good.

Today we deciced on a sunday lunch when we arrived the place was empty which we thought was unusual for 5.30pm considering we had tried other restaurants in Ramsbottom and they were fully booked... The menu looked quite good but there wasnt a lot of choice and it seemed very expensive, 2 courses £20.95 !! This was £18.95 when I visited in December.....

The starters were ok, the mains arrived my son had ordered ox cheek which was cold. I had roast beef which I requested medium/well done it was nearly rare and cold we sent both back.

Not much of an apology these were replaced and were ok but I have had a lot better.

The service in between courses wasnt great either. We didnt order any puddings as we didnt get asked if we wanted any, so we deciced to leave.

We requested the bill there was no discount for bad service or cold food !!!! The drinks were also very expensive £50 for 2 courses this place really needs to watch it's service and prices, there is far too much competition now in the Lancashire area and I wont be recomending The Hearth of the Ram to anyone...

6  Thank Amandaran
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have visited the Hearth on a few occasions and normally have a great experience but it seems to have gone down hill! My boyfriend took me for Sunday lunch and it was massively over priced for what you receive! Even my boyfriend who loves medium/rare meat had to send his beef back to the kitchen as it was near raw! The meat wasnt very good quality either! The atmosphere was quite poor compared to normal! It was a real let down and we has to pay near £40 for 2 beef dinners a soft drink and a beer!

2  Thank Luxton04