“Right on my Doorstep and well I Never”
Review of The Major

The Major
Ranked #7 of 50 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Local pub serving excellent homemade food.Family and dog friendly.Real fire and selection of 5 cask ales.
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

After living in the Area and driving past the Major thousands of times I drove past and thought another little local pub probably empty with No character......

Well how wrong was I.....

I took my mother and wife in for a Birthday tea after a recommendation from a family friend it was a Tuesday night and the place was full of life the staff where fantastic and friendly chatting and making us feel so so welcome.

The best thing about this place is still to come the home cooked food and it is all home cooked is absolutely Fantastic and the amazing thing is it's at a fantastic price.......

This place is a must if you are in the area......

I now have a new local eatery that for the last 30+ years I did not know existed......

1  Thank Jason R

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I have been going to this pub for a while and never actually wrote a review, so im correcting that now. The pub is pretty average, clean and welcoming but the food is pretty amazing. tasty, plenty of it and well priced. I think the C&O pie was £9.95 or close but was by far the best I've ever tasted. highly recommended.

2  Thank thisisaoneoff
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I went with a group of friends for the first time. There was a varied menu but unfortunately only one vegetarian option listed which was cheese and onion pie, which was heavy going. The pub is quite small, and did get very busy. I don't think I would go again.

2  Thank Wiscasset
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Excellent homemade, fresh, food with no frozen chips, ample portions and something for everyone. Choice of roast dinners, variety of homemade pies, recommend the cheese & onion and the gammon steak is available in two styles, thick cut (1.5") or regular, very succlent with a choice of pineapple or egg or both. Informal seating, but you can sit on the bar side of the pub or the restaurant side. Good choice of beers on tap and bottled.

2  Thank GJAMA
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

I've lived in Ramsbottom for 12 years, and only today did I discover the true wonders of the Major. From the outside it looks quite normal, but I know what everyone passing must think, another pub in Ramsbottom? Can't be nice, especially with neighbouring pubs like The Masons and The Grey Mare, you know the typical alchy dives. I was hesitant to go in, while it looks nice from the outside, I was expecting it to be like all the others in Ramsbottom. "You can't polish a turd" I thought to myself, I reckoned it would be full of the roughest people around. Well boy was I wrong! It was absolutely packed with families, couples, groups of friends old and young who were all looking very happy. I couldn't help but spy on everyone's meals. They all looked really nice.

I ordered the texan burger. The portion was a great size, the salad was fresh and the dressing wasn't over powering. The burger was the best part, the patty was juicy and thick and obviously made properly. The great thing about it was they asked how I wanted my burger cooked, not many places do that. My father's steak was cooked to perfection as well. I was quite jealous of his meal! My sister had lasagne, the cheese was spilling over the sides and was bubbling nicely. A real good sign of a proper, home made lasagne.

Couldn't fault the place, other than the fact we fit 3 of us on a table for 2, but it's not their fault they're so popular. Despite it being so busy, we didn't have to wait long for our meal and it wasn't rushed. The customers are really friendly and everyone throws a smile or a hello to anyone and everyone. It's no wonder my dad always goes. What a friendly place! I'll definitely be going here again. At first I was surprised it was #3 out of all the restaurants in Ramsbottom. Not anymore! In fact, it should be number 1! I feel quite stupid for judging this place before I went in. Definitely wont be judging anywhere else again. Hopefully each experience will be as nice as the Major.

Really well done guys, keep it up!

3  Thank FoodCritchic