“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Major

The Major
Ranked #17 of 46 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Local pub serving excellent homemade food.Family and dog friendly.Real fire and selection of 5 cask ales.
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I had a meal here a few weeks back on our way out to a night with friends so a bit of a spur of the moment thing.

Lets get things clear from the start "this is a village pub" that serves food. The Landlord made it very clear that they are a pub and was very humble when praised so here goes. We have had many a meal in many a restaurant over the years both run of the mill and up market but this place leaves them all in the distance it really was that good.

I ordered a Rump steak Rare! as always a test of a good Chef as most can not cook a steak to my liking, My wife had the gammon off the board also. I asked if they did sauces "what would you like us to make" I asked for a Diane and "Ok we will make you one!!!". the meals arrived from a kitchen that is tiny and if you go outside you can see them through the side window and we were just blown away, The steak was cooked to perfection the Diane sauce arrived in a Gravy Boat lol, Val was dipping her chips in it, the portions were more than we could manage and one of the chefs popped out to ask if everything was ok! Amazing.

When I went to pay I told the Landlord how impressed we were and he said "that will be my Irish wife, you won't go hungry here" Brilliant !!

So if you are in the Bury area and just wander a few miles out of your way you will find The Major on the main road just outside of Ramsbottom. Stop Eat and Be Amazed it really is one of those "Special Finds" that are hiding away behind all the 2 for1's that we just accept as the norm. Oh and the bill think it was about £32 for the meals and 2 drinks each ! Gave him £40 and could not take the change as paid far more for much less.

Don't Forget It Is Just A PUB !!!!

2 Thank cellafield

“Fabulous food, great beer.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Recently went for Sunday lunch with friends. Great service with a fabulous choice on the menu. Three choose the Sunday lunch option, couldn't fault, one chose the Cheese Pie. He commented it was the best he had ever tasted. One of our party is a member of Camera. He loved the choice and quality of ales on offer, he is going to return for a Camera day out.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Freedom125
Burlington, New Jersey
“Great beer, quiz night Tuesdays a must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Excellent pub, about two-thirds of the way down the 'Rammy mile'. Run by an excellent couple and staff, with constantly changing beer specials, and a great pub quiz on Tuesday nights, where the locals are friendly, and don't expect you to win. Which we didn't. Have to try the food next time.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Simon J
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Little Pub-Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

This sweet pub had a great choice of dishes and me and my boyfriend loved our food. The soup was home made and tasted wonderful and the prawns were delicious. The burger was (apparently) lovely and the snug, warm bar area was the perfect place to escape from the winter chill. What I also loved was the fact that the lounge was more family orientated than the bar, so adults could enjoy a quiet meal and watch the darts on the telly whilst families with kids could still have a meal in the other area-so everyone is catered for! Other places need to take note and do the same thing with the layout as it is so nice to be able to go somewhere and have a relaxed lunch without it being too noisy. We will definitely come again as we both thought it was excellent. Also; the staff were ever so friendly and welcoming and we were always served quickly; and the beer is extremely well-kept. Fantastic.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Top-class tucker in a top-class boozer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Saw the mighty fine reviews in TA for this pub and because we were in town for the folk club (don't hold that against us) we chose to give it a shot.

Walked in to a gracious welcome and fine array of brews including Snow Wine by Castle Rock, Tribute from St Austell and the always-impeccable Flat Cap from Bank Top. Overheard the champion chap who I imagine runs the place go and rub something off the board and mumble the word curry.

RUBY! I'd perused the blackboard menu from afar and devoured in my mind the pantheon of culinary delights, from burgers and main courses of varying ingredients through to sensational pies upon which I'd seen fellow eaters chomp with smiles miles wide.

Beers partially quaffed I trotted back to the bar, confirmed the sacred curry (lamb balti) was on the menu and ordered that for myself and lasagne for the little lady.

It came shortly afterwards, home made and piping hot. And the chips, ahh, they were the real thing.

REAL CHIPS! and rice! and curry! No popadums or naan bread on the side but if I wanted Wetherspoon's I would have gone to Bury.

This was a chuffing delight. A tastier plate I couldn't have hoped for.

Go. Enjoy. Quaff. Chat. Begone and come back, as we will.