“Average pub food- not really sure what all the fuss is about...”
Review of The Major

The Major
Ranked #16 of 47 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Local pub serving excellent homemade food.Family and dog friendly.Real fire and selection of 5 cask ales.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We visited for the first time, on the back of the excellent trip advisor reviews. As we were a large, family group, we booked in advance although it wasn't busy so we needn't have. When we arrived we learned that half of our party were delayed so we ordered a round of drinks and I asked for a portion of bread to put our young son on until the rest of the family arrived. Five minutes later, the barmaid came over to our table and told us 'I'll have to refund the money for the bread- I've asked the kitchen for it but they're busy and said they don't want to know'. We found this pretty shocking, given that we were a large party and that we would all be eating. How hard is it to put some bread on a plate?
The rest of our party arrived and we ordered, waiting 40 minutes before the food arrived. The portions are generous, but I was disappointed with the cheese & onion pie (which turned out to be largely onion), and the fish pie was massive but, again, not great. The salad was lovely and fresh, the burgers are alright and the chips are good, but don't go here expecting anything special.

2  Thank LolaLaBouche

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Visited for lunch. Had the chilli burger which was gorgeous and had loads on the plate. Great value and very friendly staff.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I really enjoyed it at the Major, good atmosphere, great food, I had a Texan Burger and the Chipolte sauce was the best I have had this side of the Atlantic and the Wifes Suet pudding was pretty fine to. Prices were good value and the Beer grand. Like other people I would like to stress this is a Pub that serves food and makes no pretence any other way. I will defoe go again

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal! Burger was delicious and homemade! The portions were generous and very reasonably priced! Lovely atmosphere with friendly staff! Will be going back soon!

1  Thank Louise N
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Great pub, friendly staff, tasty food , good sized portions. Sunday Lunch was excellent, good value for money at 6.95. Traditional pub menu.

1  Thank Rhuari