“Delicate South Indian Cuisine”
Review of Sanmini's

Sanmini's
Ranked #29 of 46 Restaurants in Ramsbottom
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Horwich, England, United Kingdom
“Delicate South Indian Cuisine”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We adore Sanmini's. The friendly family who run it, the small dining room, the home made South Indian cuisine... it's a place to go when you're in need of a little TLC. The last time we went was after an exhausting day of organising and running our Summer Fete, and it was just what the doctor ordered. Literally. The owners are both medically trained doctors!

My husband planned this trip to Sanmini's after I had been working all weekend on a particularly heinous IT project. And relax... We were soon seated in the five table dining room, and were munching our way through a pile of poppadoms with the most amazing dips. Our favourite, as always was the warm kidney bean one, closely followed by the tangy fruit chutney.

Our starters were absolutely stunning. My husband had the sauteed madras prawns, which came with a shredded mango and coriander side salad. This was very hot but had depth of flavour, and was cooled slightly by the mango. I was brave and picked a vegetable starter for the first time ever! Mine was a lentil bite made from spinach, cabbage, ginger, onions and green chillies and came served with tomato and vegetable and coconut dips. These were crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside with the odd crunchy vegetable. The dips were a perfect accompaniment.

For mains Paddy had the mutton kozambhu and I picked the virudhunangar kozhi kuruma. There are often mutton dishes on the menu at Sanmini's, which makes a nice change from lamb. It's generally got a much deeper flavour and is softer in texture. I think he picked it because the sauce was described as gravy... this was 'blow your socks off' good. A rich tomato based sauce was given a kick up the jacksie by lots of spices finished with fresh herbs. My dish was chicken in a creamy coconut based sauce. It was delicately sweet but still had that little kick. We also had the lemon rice and two chapatis.

We had already decided not to have dessert, but strangely found ourselves asking for the menu? Not sure how this happened. It was decided that the best course of action was to share one, which turned out to be for the best. The small, unassuming desert which arrived was probably enough to run a family of four plus a dog for an entire weekend! The Badam delight is a mix of almonds cooked with milk, saffron and cashew nuts to create a buttery dish which was similar to a very rich frangipan.

Please don't go to Sanmini's expecting a standard curry house. They are making authentic South Indian cuisine whose names you will not recognise, but you will adore all the same. The Sankar family do this as a hobby, and their hard work has seen them recognised in the Michelin and Good Food Guides in recent years. Go and enjoy the peace, the great hosts and the outstanding food.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank DollyBakesHorwich

Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Lovely food but sadly I wouldn't return”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We went for a lovely vegetarian meal here and the food was very good if a little pricey for what you are paying for. By this, I mean it is a very small room where you are served, just like being in someone's front room. This could be intimate, but it doesn't manage to achieve that on a bright sunny day.

Also the owners are very very very very very very friendly. We were constantly asked, how was that? Did you like that? How was this, that, more water? More beer? Obviously completely unintentionally intrusive- as the owners are super super nice people. On the plus, super clean and super vegetarian choices.

So, what is it that was so wrong about Sanminis?

When we visited, there was a very noisy table next to us where we heard all about where their children were going to university and it went on and on and on. The other table complained about the food and that always makes one's ears on alert.

So why wouldn't we return?

Noise and quiet. The thing about this place that we felt, was how terribly un-relaxing it was. It is about the size of someone's front room and just like my front room, you can hear everything that is said. And when it's not really noisy, it is uncomfortably whisper quiet. We didn't talk much as we didn't want to share our romantic meal with everyone else. We felt a bit shy about talking at all as you can hear a pin drop.

However from the good home cooking to nice owners, it seems a little mean to moan about the atmosphere. It just wasn't for us. For £50 ish for 2 with one alcohol drink each, we certainly had a spread, but not much romance and quite pricey for what you don't get.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank JarvisMrMrs
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had very high hopes and invited friends to join us. The waiter was very insistent that we would never have had tasted an Indian meal quite like this. He was right but for all the wrong reasons!
In the party of four none us could eat the main chicken courses. The quality of meat was so poor I would have second thoughts giving it to my dog. When the waiter came to take away the full plates and asked was everything ok, he seemed dismissive of our dislike and didn't even offer an apology. Will never go back!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank mark B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“5 for the food - but 2 for the cost”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean restaurant with very pleasant staff

I picked a main dish of minced lamb and potatoes with two chapati and a pint of cider with NO rice, poppadom's, pickles or side dishes.

The price = £20.40

I had picked the LEAST expensive main course - if I had rice £5.50 and poppadom's £4.50 as well it would have topped £30 - too much in my opinion for this style of food.

Might go back if I was taking a customer there and cost was no object!

2 Thank Jim N
“Devine”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Food out of this world, you'll never appreciate an Indian meal more! Lovely homely service. A must! Fresh, home cooked Indian food at its best