“Rovers Return”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Living in Ramsbottom we are getting spoiled for choice these days when choosing somewhere local to eat, it seems a new place opens at least once a quarter at he moment.

As such it's been years since I last visited the Fishermans retreat, on arrival my business colleague and I arrived tired and very hungry from a visit up to Edinburgh and back in a day

The bar was welcoming and the restaurant all though very large, was tastefully presented but lacking a little in atmosphere probably due to it being early evening on a weekday.

The waiter was both attentive and knowledgeable of the menu on offer, I had the scallop and black pudding starter which was excellent beautifully presented and cooked perfectly, however the portion size was a little on the small size.

For main I had the 16oz rump steak medium rare with a peppercorn sauce, mushroom, some good old fashioned hand cut chips and a side of onion rings, this is a steak on epic proportions, excellent steak locally sourced beautifully cooked and seasoned to perfection, thank goodness the starter was on the small side! No dessert required however just had to try the cheese and I wasn't to be disappointed.

To finish the waiter recommended coffee which was also excellent, overall the meal was excellent and the service great, I've been back since less than a week later, the steak was just as good if not better on my second visit, didn't fall into the starter trap this time but did try the sticky toffee pudding, again excellent but I have to say thankfully a little on the small side.

A real treat to find a great steak locally! Well done.

There are newer reviews for The Fisherman's Retreat

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went last night, a table for 4 on recommendation of someone. Not my idea of a good restaurant. Bar area looked lovely on arrival, snug & quaint but when we went through to be seated it felt like a dining hall of a 70's holiday camp. Too big & no atmosphere. Limited menu & even at 6.30 some specials had run out. Food was ok, if overpriced. Wouldn't recommend for a special occasion & would be very surprised if we went back. Staff nice & attentive though. Just not for me.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Up a narrow winding lane turn into the grounds of the Fisherman's retreat. Lakes and restaurant, set in the hills. A lovely extension has transformed this restraint. Extensive menu to choose from with tasty hot food served by attentive staff.
Good value for money in excellent surroundings. Excellent venue to a wedding of big celebration.

607Rossygirl.

1  Thank 607Rossygirl
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My work colleagues gave me vouchers for here for my birthday. I started with Scallops followed by Sea bass both were cooked to perfection the best I have ever eaten. My husband had scallops with black pudding followed by Steak both again superb. We were there on Saturday night and although there were a few people in we didn't feel we were waiting long for our meals. I could imagine it may be quiet and lacking atmosphere if the room was empty, but we were there to enjoy each others company so wouldn't really notice. It is a little on the expensive side not a place to go every week but you get what you pay for and it was worth every penny. We stayed at the Red Hall Hotel overnight which was also a lovely place and may be worth a visit.

1  Thank sungoers5
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The best Eggs Benedict ever!!!! Beautiful setting - what a lovely treat for a Sunday morning - strongly recommended!