“Quite possibly the worst place to eat in Cambridgeshire”

The Highwayman Cookhouse + Pub
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The first time I came to Highwayman the food was disgusting and arrived 2 hours late after being forgotten about twice.

Somehow the second visit topped it. Almost all food was not available, the drinks were watered down, the chicken had human hair in it, two meals were wrong, and one of the chairs on the other table was covered in urine.

I guess that’ll teach me for giving it a second chance.

Date of visit: September 2019
Whitbread_CS, Customer Relations at The Highwayman Cookhouse + Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our The Highwayman Cookhouse & Pub restaurant. We're very sorry to see that you had a disappointing experience with us previously due to lengthy wait times. It’s also concerning you experienced problems with several meals being unavailable, as well as issues with cleanliness and service.

Please be assured that this isn’t the experience we would expect for our guests when dining with us and your comments have been passed to the restaurant management for review. They will ensure that these comments are addressed with the Front of House and Kitchen Teams and any required action taken internally as a matter of urgency. This will help us to make sure that this experience isn’t repeated for any of our guests moving forward.

We will be messaging you directly about this shortly as well so that we can look further into your experience.

Again, our sincere apologies and thank you for taking the time to share your review. We hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to one of our restaurant again moving forward.

Kind regards,

Lauren, Cookhouse & Pub

Write a reviewReviews (53)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Really love the refurb, was there on Friday night the food was amazing, really enjoyed the gin glasses to.

Reviewed September 15, 2019 via mobile

I booked our table online which was quick and easy. We were placed at a nice table. After 5 minutes we were asked what we would like, and after twice being told they have not got any of what my husband wanted they had his third choice. It was 5.15pm and the carvery was being packed away as they only had beef left. Our food came in a timely manner and it was nice food. There was a family of 6 near us that had 4 small children and the dad had to go up to get someone to take there order as they were waiting for a very long time. I did feel that there was not enough staff around. We were not checked on at all during our meal. We ordered dessert and again one of the desserts had run out. We had to find a member of staff to pay the bill as there was not anyone around.The pub has had a refurb and been taken over by cookhouse and pub. In my opinion the curtains are awful and should go back to the old people's home where they can from. The glass pendant lights need to be cleaned, they were so dusty. To summarise the food was good once we chose something that they actually had. The decor could be better.
No excuse for not dusting.
I do hope it gets better

Reviewed September 15, 2019 via mobile

First try since it’s change of hands for their buffet breakfast. Much improved, staff helpful, replenishing right up to the end, food fresh, kids play area great. We’ll be back. Thank you

Reviewed September 13, 2019

I visited on a Friday evening and it was strangely quiet in the restaurant and bar area. Having visited a few years ago, it would have been beaming with families, children and couples. I was the only one waiting at the host stand and in total i was waiting around 10 minutes, Many staff members walked past but no one stopped to ask if i would like to be seated. Which was very peculiar considering it was a quiet evening with around 20 guests in tow.

I overheard a conversation with a member of staff and a visitor, they too where shocked at how little people where in for a Friday night. The staff member told them that a few weeks ago they had changed to Cook House + Pub and since doing so, it had been quieter and the food had taken longer to make. It doesn't look very good if even the staff members have no confidence in the place that they work and it really didn't paint a very good picture if even they where unhappy at the changes..

One staff member really stood out as she had absolutely no decorum what so ever. She answered back to every single ordinary request, was rude and confused everyone. I asked if whilst eating my starter, she could ask the kitchen if they could start my mains so that when i was finished, i would not have a long wait. She stood in silence for a while and then said "i don't think it can be done". Any, ANY restaurant no matter what status, chain or food price has had no issue with this request. Ever. what was the issue here and why was this particular staff member ever so awkward and confusing? Not only this, but i asked for a bacon and chicken salad. She said that there wasn't one as the menu was changing and not all the food was ready for the public. As a compromise, she said their was a chicken and bacon salad. I was absolutely shooketh! is a bacon & chicken salad, and a chicken & bacon salad, not exactly the same thing? just with the words reversed?

The atmosphere upon my seating was very VERY strange. No one was talking. When staff spoke to customers (often a complaint from forgotten drink orders or food) everyone listened in awe. Never have i ever experienced this when it was Brewers Fayre. In fact, you would have been able to hear yourself chew as it was that busy and full of life. Now, you could hear a pin drop and it was all just a little too awkward and uncomfortable.

Staff seemed unhappy, slow and un-perspicaious. Staff when it was Brewers Fayre looked as though they enjoyed their work, were happy to talk to visitors and looked rather jolly. what has happened?.

On the contrary, my visit was dreadful and the "change" was a very illogical.

Date of visit: September 2019
Whitbread_CS, Customer Relations at The Highwayman Cookhouse + Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us.

I'm really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your meal on this occasion due to the poor service from the team and also the confusion with the meals. I'm also sorry that you found the atmosphere to be different to what you were used to in Brewers Fayre, this certainly isn't what we'd like for our guests and isn't the experience we'd expect.

Just to make you aware we have logged your comments regarding this and this will be passed onto the Restaurant Management Team to ensure this is picked up internally and any necessary retraining implemented as we want all of our guests to enjoy their meal with us.

Apologies again for any disappointment caused, however I do hope that we can welcome you back in future for a much better experience.

Kind Regards,