“Read on----”

Ranked #1 of 3 Horseheath B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Read on----”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here for two nights around a wedding in Bury St Edmunds. Staff are welcoming, friendly and have a can do attitude. We were looking around the area for a walk in shower, and chose The Old Red Lion. Although the site is in the "V" between two roads we heard very little traffic noise. Some rooms are in a two storey block and some like No 10 are single storey, all are adjacent to the main building. On leaving I did ask for the mirror in the bathroom to be lowered, as I had to shave on tiptoe, and I am confident that this will be done. The settee in the room was also welcome to sit in rather than just on the bed. The food was excellent, but if you are intending to have dinner just check a day or two beforehand that there are no large parties booked in. We would highly recommend dinner in, very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Some rooms have walk in showers, some have baths with showers over.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night as we had booked a vineyard tour at Chilford Hall. It is only a few miles from Chilford so it's a good place to stop if you are on a morning tour. We had an upstairs room which was spacious,clean and comfortable in one of the outbuildings. We liked the walk in shower with its push button starter. ( No fiddling with hot and cold taps required.) We had an evening meal in the pub restaurant and we found the food to be of a good standard if not always cheap. The real ales it sells are of good quality and very well kept.The waitress who looked after us was excellent, being friendly, attentive and efficient. Although if there had not been a party of ten in the restaurant we would virtually have been on our own. We asked for the cost of the meal and drinks to be put on our bill. When we came to check out there was no itemised bill. Whilst we were not unhappy with the total you may want to ask for an itemised account after your meal. We paid £85 for B&B which we were happy with due to its proximity to Chilford. However we were able to find a 4 star hotel in Newmarket for the following night at £75 B&B!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I stay here whenever I am in the area on business.
There are few B&B's that I would stay in but this place bucks the trend.
Rooms are comfortable and spacious, most with large screen TV's and all with good en suite facilities.
Staff are really friendly and go the extra mile to make your stay a pleasant one.
If I can avoid it, I don't stay anywhere else in this area.

• Stayed March 2012
Wymondham, Norfolk
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed at the Old Red Lion, as had booked a wine tasing at nearby Chilford Hall (the cab fare by the way was £12 each way...bit expensive i thought).
The room was clean and comfortable, though the shower room had a few areas to improve on. I'd expect huge fluffy towels for £90 per night, what we got wasn't much bigger than a hand towel and felt like they'd been around for years! The extractor fan didn't work, and the themostat on the shower was ineffectual, nearly scalded ourselves, and couldn't seem to get the temperature any cooler than extremly hot!!
The food in the restaurant was fabulous. I had the sea bass, and my partner had the lamb, both were really good, as was the bread and butter pudding!
Staff were friendly and very welcoming too!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I spent two nights per week for the past two and a half years at The Old Red Lion, and classed it as my second home, the staff were always very friendly and couldnt have been more helpfull and the host Ian and Tracey also.
The rooms are now all refurbished and are to an excellent standard , i eat in the hotel nearly all the nights i stayed there and found the menu varied and the food excellent and value for money
Breakfast highly reommended
I would highly recommend this hotel .

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
King's Lynn
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Lovely hotel - excellent standards, clean, very stylish and comfortable with the added charm of an essentially Old English Inn. We would highly recommend it for all of the above and for the very friendly staff, good food and ideal location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I had the pleasure to stay at the Old Red Lion for a couple of nights.

This was one of the best hotels I have used in the last six years of working away.

large beds with large showers or baths.

The food was good and drinks were not over priced.

Breakfast was fantastic, my only complaint was it was to big!!!!

I would stay here again if I was in the area.

Many thanks to all the staff who made my stay so pleasent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horseheath
The Crown House
#1 of 1 in Hundon
Chequer Cottage
Chequer Cottage
#2 of 3 in Horseheath

Been to Old Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!