“Gone downhill”
Review of The Old Trooper - CLOSED

The Old Trooper
Cuisines: British, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Welcome to The Old Trooper, in Christleton. Here you will find our famous grills and salads; we serve real food fresh, fun and full of flavour. All of our main meals come with fresh, unlimited salad. You can enjoy lunch, dinner or order take-away from a family orientated pub restaurant near you.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Tuesday early evening, very quiet. Waitress was using what looked like an iPhone to take the orders. She seemed a little confused, and then forgot the side orders, harvester seem to be going hi-tec but need to train staff on how to use gadgets. Child's meal came with chips which we didn't ask for and no garlic bread came. Food was ok, nothing fancy. Considering it was quiet, it was ages before plates were cleared and Desert orders taken. Waitress seemed preoccupied with chatting to other waitresses and duty Manager who was also chatting. Won't be visiting for a while !!

Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Old Trooper, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

We’re sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to The Old Trooper Harvester. Thank you for raising this with us, we really value all customer feedback and are working closely with the staff to ensure that this doesn't happen again. It is our aim to give every guest the very best service we can and we have written to you personally.

There are newer reviews for The Old Trooper

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have been here a number of times with friends and family. To start it was not to bad friendly atmosphere polite staff food was good. My last couple of visits im sorry to say has caused me to write this review. What has gone wrong I do not know. The food has gone down hill the service was down to me going to the bar to be sat down going to the bar for someone to come and take the order. When the food arrived it was not cooked as asked and once again it went back!!!! To be returned so they said freshly prepared. If you are going to say that do not have an open kitchen where customers can watch!!! By the time my food had arrived the person I was with had ate thiers. You expect to eat together not be last and everyone wait for you. Enough was enough to the point I complained. And as per usual we were offered the drinks taken of the bill. In the past apologies were free sweet or free coffee. This is not what I complain for. Is it so hard to just get it right to start with????

1  Thank Wendy B

We are very sorry to hear that the meal you had at The Old Trooper Harvester was not as perfect as you would have liked. We want all our guests to be satisfied so we always welcome your feedback and we have replied to you personally about your review.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Went to this harvester whilst staying nearby, food was lovely cooked properly and served piping hot. Service was excellent, especially Debbie.

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Old Trooper Harvester and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and we have replied to you personally asking for a little more information.

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

As a firm supporter of harvester restaurants it was a natural choice to visit on a recent visit to Chester. We arrived at 8.30 on a miserable Monday night and waited at the 'wait to be seated' area, and waited and waited whilst the waiting staff ignored us or at least have acknowledged we were there. Eventually I asked one of the staff who grabbed some knives and forks and say us down. We opted for the 9.99 and 4.99 menu and ordered. There were no white rolls and although his was pointed out by another customer they never arrived. The salad is always good however when my main arrived my spit roast chicken had been cut in half??? And was luke warm but in fairness Everyone else's meal was ok. The mystery was the bill at the end, we had two meals at 9.99 and two at 4.99 and the bill was 34.98???? Apparently this is vat? Not charged this at my local harvester and if this is the case the small print should say so. I'm glad this harvester isn't my local or is have to find somewhere alternative to eat

1  Thank LizaGlover

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to The Old Trooper Harvester. We have replied to you personally as it is our aim to give every customer the very best experience possible, and your feedback will help us achieve this.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Have been here as a couple about 6 times in the last 12 months. So to say if it wasn't good I would return so many times. Menu and prices I think are excellent. Service can be slow but think that is down to how busy it is so I factor that in and know what to expect, would recommend and will visit again.

Thank you very much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We were very pleased to read that you had a positive time here with us at The Old Trooper Harvester. Our teams love to hear when they have done a good job and we have replied to you personally about your review.