The Manor House Hotel
Park Head Country Hotel and Restaurant(Bishop Auckland)(Great Value!)
$65
$57
$75
  • Pool
$144
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
$94
$63
$70
$105
$88
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
$40
1,120 results
All reviewsspa treatmentsliving socialstables barhunting lodgesteam roomspa dealold buildingspa areaposter roomwowcher dealevening meallovely spalots of characterhealth clubstaff were lovelyovernight stayleisure facilities
Reviewed August 12, 2014

As my future daughter in law was not having a hen night I thought a spa day just before the wedding would be perfect and one came up on Groupon just when I needed it. I paid £10 per person extra for Presecco and strawberries on arrival as an extra treat. The hotel was terrible to find with my sat nav taking us into dead ends on housing estates. However we finally got there over an hour later than what we had expected. We went into the main door where we could see a lady on the telephone. She knew we were there but even when the call was finished she continued talking to someone in the office, ignoring us so we just went directly to the spa where the welcome was warm and friendly. As we were so late we went straight into lunch. the lunch was two courses and it was delicious. the only thing i could complain about was old lettuce used as garnish but this did not affect the meal itself. Service was good. the spa had all the facilities you would expect and the range of treatments on the voucher were reasonable.and you could upgrade them for an extra £5. I had a Shellac manicure and pedicure. There were very few colours to choose from and it was simply nails done no hand massage or cream applied which was a little disappointing. However the day was very enjoyable with good changing facilities, lovely pool and Jacuzzi. Would I go back? probably because for what you got on the day it was very good value for money. At full price I'm not so sure.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this charming hotel. We were lucky as landed a bargain from living social. Lovely spa attached to the hotel with all sorts of treatments on offer. Historical building with slopey creaking floors which has been decorated and furnished to match the theme. Could do with a make over as looking tired in some areas of the hotel. Staff were so helpful and friendly and the atmosphere was relaxing. Lovely little stable bar attached with a nice garden to sit outside. Dinner was alright but breakfast was spot on with black pudding with the full English like you'd expect up North!! 10 minutes from Durham centre on a good road so plenty to do....would stay again.

Room Tip: Front of hotel good if there is a weekend function your not invited to!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I got a deal from living social for a spa day for two. This included two 25 min treatments, 2 course lunch and use of the facilities. We gave a £10 deposit for fluffy robes and towels. We were able to open a tab so I didnt need to carry cash with me.
Overall we had a lovely day. All staff were polite and helpful, we could add extras but nothing was pushed on us and I would definitely return. They let my husband combine 2 treatments and have a full body massage which he loved! I wasnt over impressed with my shellac treatment as it was not 25 mins, not even close my nails weren't filed to any shape and it began to peel a couple of days later. My facial however was heavenly! Highly recommended!
All facilities were clean and looked after well.
I was a bit disappointed when my voucher was advertised as a huge saving that the hotel offered the same deal for less money so I would reccomend checking Facebook and their website before purchasing off groupon or social living. Lunch was lovely we had 4 choices but the normal menu did look very tempting.
Lovely setting, we were lucky with the weather as we could sit out on the terrace. If the weather was poor it was have been cramped inside.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I booked to stay the one night as my brother was holding his wedding reception here. Check in was fine, had to carry our heavy bags up a couple of flights of stairs as there is no lift. We booked a family room & were allocated room 10. The room was a good size however I wasn't expecting a camp bed. The temperature in the room was horrendous even with the window open. There was a desk fan but because the room is so large it did absolutely nothing for anyone. Clean enough. We were only in the room 45 minutes before we had to leave for the church so didn't spend a great deal of time in the room. On arrival back at the hotel there was no one to greet us to tell the wedding guests where to go, we went into the stable bar where there was only 1 member of staff on & he was pretty clueless. I asked for coke for some of the kids & was told there was no coke. I asked why & he gave me a cock & bull story that there was a hole in the gas?? He told me that if I wanted coke I had to go over to the other bar. I walked over to this bar & was informed by the barman there that he didn't open til 6pm & had no intention in serving me. I asked where the wedding planner was & he walked off ahead of me rather than taking me to her. I explained that there was no coke & what the barman had said & she informed me that he'd only been working there a week like that was an acceptable explanation, not even an apology, she just sent the other bar man over to the bar to see what was happening. I asked who the wedding planner was & she said that she didn't start until we went into the other room at 6pm?? I went back to the bar to wait for the drinks. The bride & groom had arrived at this time & again were not greeted by any member of staff & non were on hand to make sure things ran smoothly all the weddings I've been to this is standard practice. I was then handed a glass by a guest who told me that the barman had refused to take the glass as it wasn't one of theirs??? Have you ever heard anything ridiculous? I had to put it on one if the barrels out the front. The groom then asked me to go & enquire where the red carpet was as they were busy having photos taken. I went back to speak with the staff member in the hotel who said the wedding planner didn't start until 6pm, I asked where the red carpet was & she told me that they didn't put it down as it rained earlier that day. Might I add it was not raining when we arrived from the church, the ground wasn't even wet nor did it rain for the remainder or the afternoon. I'd say it was more laziness on the hotels part. I also asked why no one was there to meet them & to ensure things ran smoothly, again she said that the wedding planner didn't start until 6pm when guests moved into the other room?? I also informed her again about the barman refusing to take the glass & that maybe she would care to have it removed as there were children around. Again she said he'd only been working for a week, & again not an acceptable response. Whilst having this conversation my 4 year old daughter sat at the table next to us & hurt herself on the glass top of the hexagonal shaped tables that had not been put on straight leaving the pointed edges sticking out & one stuck straight into her chest leaving her sobbing with a red mark on her chest. The staff member just stood there looking nonchalantly, didn't even enquire if my daughter was ok. I told the member of staff that the service was appalling & again no reaction whatsoever just a baffled expression. A member of the brides family had to tell the barman to clean the men's toilets as they were disgusting but he'd only been there a week so he probably didn't know where the cleaning stuff was, I mean he didn't even know where the phone was to call & ask for help. A short time after the women from the hotel came over to a few of us outside & asked us to move to the reception room & walked off, I had to then enter the bar & ask the guests to move. Not my job. We entered the room & weren't instructed where to go but then it became apparent that guests were supposed to sit on the front 3 tables but no one had been made aware of this. The member of staff let the bride & groom go to the wrong table & I went over to her & again asked where the wedding planner was & she said "that is me"?? This is the same women I had spoken with on 2 separate occasions & asked about the wedding planner & at no point did she say it was her. I even had to ask her if she was joking, I asked why the bride & groom & their parents etc were being asked to sit at table when the one she was next to was set as the top table with the Mr & Mrs signs on the table etc & she said "we didn't do that the table decorators did"?? I had to move the stuff from the table to the one that the bridal party were sat, again she just stood there. Unbelievable!! The night progressed & evening guests started arriving & the food was served, the general consensus was that the food was very bland. As it started to get late the guests started to filter out & the grooms Uncle who is nearly 70 years old & his sister who was taking the bride & grooms 8 month old daughter home, were told that as they weren't staying at the hotel they had to leave & go outside in the rain. A pensioner & a baby! Have you heard anything like it? My Aunt tried to reason with the staff & they said that they could go into the conservatory & walked off, didn't tell them where the conservatory even was. I made my feelings known to the two remaining staff & told them that I had never witnessed such appalling staff & customer care in my life & that it was meant to be two peoples special day & they couldn't give a toss. She basically said that they didn't care & they'd say I was being abusive & would call the police. Not the most professional way to deal with criticism however having read another review of this hotel this appears to be common practice. I said that I would be taking it up with management. Rude beyond belief. Breakfast was fine & the pool was fine. I checked out & was not even asked how my stay was as I was waiting for it so I asked for the managers details & still she did not ask if there was anything wrong with my stay. All in all a poor hotel with even worse staff. I would not stay here ever again, I would not recommend it either & I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank MrsChezzaB
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My sister and I treat our friend for her birthday. From arriving we were greeted at reception by a very friendly receptionist who showed us the way we had to go. Again greeted in by very friendly and attentive staff. After a coffee we were given our robes and taken through to the changing rooms to enjoy the time in the spa. Yes the jacuzzi is small but we enjoyed it nevertheless. Steam room sauna and pool was fine.
We had our treatments which we all enjoyed and found it great that we could all go together . The girls were very friendly and professional. Found this to be very relaxing before being served our lunch in the restaurant where we could wear our robes. The waiter was very helpfull and friendly.
We then returned back to the spa for a leisurely afternoon before being served champagne and strawberries.
A great experience was had by all and we can't wait to do it again.

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't advise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends