“Dirty!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Dirty!!!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband booked us into this hotel having checked Trip Advisor and having looked at the photographs. When we arrived we were shown into a room which I can only describe as grimy! There were bits of rubbish on the floor from the previous occupants, every surface was dusty and there were marks on the table, bed side cabinets. I wanted to got to the shop and purchase some cleaning products!!Even my 9 year old said 'I'm not stopping here it's filthy!'. I went downstairs to complain - something I have never had to do before. The staff were not phased - leading to me to believe this must happen quite regularly. We shown into another room, it was a bit cleaner but the wallpaper was hanging off the wall! We had no choice but to stay and decided to take the kids swimming at the spa. It is not a spa, and does not offer you the luxury which you associate with the word. The changing rooms were again filthy, the pool cold and I dread to think what was going on underneath the bubbles in the jacuzzi. We ate elsewhere given what we had already seen. At night the curtains didn't shut properly and there was a collection of dead flies behind one of the shutters. The lights from the ground shone directly into the room, so we struggled to get to sleep. We left the next morning and luckily managed to book into a travelodge!! What a disappointment!!

Room Tip: Do not bother!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Reviewed August 23, 2013

this is a beautiful building and so much more could be made of a stay here. As I arrived it was really hot weather - the main door to the hotel reception is a big heavy wooden door and is closed - very difficult to get in with a case on your own - could easily have been propped open in this weather. The young man that checked me in was very dismissive and seemed to just want me to get to my room as soon as possible. It was a Monday night at 5.30, I asked for a reservation for a meal at 6.30 - Im on my own - I was told the restaurant was fully booked but I could eat at 7. At 7 I came down stairs to find an empty lounge but I couldn't seem to find the restaurant, I wandered around and finally found a young waitress to ask .I was told to take a seat in the lounge she would bring me a drink and take my order and then take me to the restaurant. By 7.40 I had finally been taken through to the empty restaurant. I could count 7 tables with people on them out of easily 30 tables, plus there were empty seats outside which would have been lovely to have been offered as it was very hot. The food was not up to much but sitting in a conservatory in this heat was enough to make me feel sick - I had to wait 15 mins after finishing my meal to see a waiter to ask to sign for my food - I was then told to just go back to the lounge where I could get the bill. I walked though and it was full of people drinking tea and no staff could be found. I chose to go to my room. The following morning on check out I was faced with the bill that is usually paid by my business. I quickly explained I would need to call my HO as this shouldn't have happened - I was left feeling this was my fault. It became clear that the hotel fax had been broken for a week and hence my HO hadn't been able to send them payment details. As this is such a beautiful old building there is no phone signal - I was never offered the use of a phone in reception but had to go and stand 50 feet from the front door in a courtyard in the rain to make the call - not happy at all - im staying in bishop Auckland again next week - ive booked the premier inn!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these West Auckland hotels

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is a lovely hotel, the building is fantastic. The rooms we had were in the old stable block - a short walk from the main hotel building. The Hotel is quiet even when there is a wedding on.
The food is excellent - word of warning though if you staying here as part of the group - there is very limited choice for cooked breakfast - which is very poor indeed!
The dinner menu is lovely and a lot of choice. All the food is cooked to perfection.
There are a few lounges to sit in before and after dinner.
For the real ale fans there is a bar in the stable block which is open to the public which sells real ale form the local brewery.
The hotel is set at one of the village and it is lovely to walk around the green - especially seeing the new statue for the First World Cup.
Would stay here again - though not with a group because of the cooked breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lou478
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear lou478,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am glad that you had a lovely stay, and enjoyed the grounds, and having dinner with us.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team and all the staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

UK
Reviewed August 17, 2013

It's difficult to know where to start with this place. Firstly, West Auckland itself is quiet and a little run down so this hotel really is a base for exploring elsewhere. It has a grand history but itself is not very grand. It definitely looks pretty tired in places and whilst our rooms were reasonably sized they definitely required refurbishment especially in the bathrooms. We were situated above the gym and it was noisy from 7am to 10pm, not very relaxing if on holiday.
It has a lovely sunny courtyard for an evening drink but we didn't try the restaurant. The staff were friendly especially in the spa and the spa itself was small but adequate though in the process of being refurbished so perhaps not looking it's best. Interestingly my older teenage children loved this place - they really enjoyed the gym and found the atmosphere relaxing throughout the hotel. "At least it;s not boring like a chain hotel" said teenage boy. So it's not perfect but it is different and you will certainly be made to feel welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room avoiding the gym
Dear CaitUK,

Thankyou for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit, and enjoyed the spa, and found the staff friendly and helpful.

I am sorry that there was noise from the gym during your stay. I have spoken to the health club manager regarding your comment, and has agreed that the music in the health club during the morning, will be kept at a lower volume.

May I once again thank you for your review, and I am so pleased your older teenage children loved the place, and its quirky nature.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our stay was excellent, the staff could not be more helpful and pleasant. We enjoyed a few hours in the spa relaxing before getting out and about. The hotel has so much character and charm and the stories about the ghosts make it even more attractive and exciting. We got talking to the locals in the courtyard bar who were also very friendly. Our meal in the restaurant was delicious. And the view from the restaurant into the garden is stunning. It was great to be able to walk around the garden after dinner. We will certainly stay again and next time intend to book a spa treatment too.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different and if you are wanting a modern hotel this is not the place for you. If...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen S
James H, Front Office Manager at The Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Ellen S,

I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay, and enjoyed our spa, and beautiful gardens.

I am also pleased that you found the staff helpful and pleasant. It is such a moral boost for everyone to hear their efforts are appreciated.

I have passed your kind comments on to the management team and staff, and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The main building of the characterful Manor House dates from 1429. I found this fascinating, as I love this historical period. Reproduction Tudor portraits and "named" suites add to the general ambience. Various parts of the hotel have been added on in a more piecemeal fashion later, but in general, newer areas / renovations are sympathetic to the original building. Bedrooms are in the main hotel and in the "Stables" annexe in the courtyard.There are lovely gardens to relax in, plus a spa and swimming pool (which I didn't have time to try out).
Food is delicious; well-cooked, using fresh produce. Being on a group booking, we had a choice from a "cut-down" menu. However, the menu varied every day, and the staff were only too happy to accommodate any individual choices / offer extras (my autistic son is extremely fussy about what he'll eat)!
The Stable bar in the hotel annexe is excellent, having an ambience not usually present in a hotel bar. The staff put on a great "pub quiz" for us, which was a fantastic ice-breaker.
Downsides: Bedrooms are smaller than average, and if you like your mod cons, this may not be the place for you. Being a collection of old buildings, there is no air-conditioning and the sash windows are fairly small. Furthermore,sound-proofing is non-existent. You will hear: fellow guests' toilets flushing, taps running, conversations, sounds of breakfast TV etc. This didn't bother me at all, but another guest complained about the noise my son made - when we could also hear every sound which THEY made! If you're on business, forget it: although Wi-Fi internet access is free, in practice it's only available in the tiny library, and is painfully slow. (I must add here though that the library is a really nice touch, and it also includes a selection of board games and children's toys).
Summing up; on the negative side (apart from sound / plumbing issues) - the hotel could do with a bit of investment and updating of the bedrooms, as they are looking a little tired. On the positive side (to my complete surprise, as I'm on the autistic spectrum myself and am definitely not a "people" person) - the hotel's biggest asset is its staff. The employees seem to be almost exclusively local, scarily young (OK, scary for a middle-aged person like me) - and incredibly dedicated, friendly, can-do and efficient. WELL DONE all of you!
So, if you like character, TLC and lovely surroundings (and aren't worried by creaks / noisy plumbing) - go stay!
If you're after the trappings of modern life: soundproofing, efficient Wi-Fi, air-con - then it's probably not for you.

2 Thank TrainGeekGirl
Dear TrainGeekGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and appreciated our staffs hard work and enthusiasm.

I am pleased you enjoyed the food, and that the restaurant could accomodate any extras or changes you needed, and that you enjoyed the historical character of the building.

I have passed your lovely comments on to the management team and all of the staff, and once again thank you. It is a huge moral boost for the staff to know their efforts are appreciated.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Martinez, California
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

This is out second stay at the manor house. It's close to everything I need to see in The area. The building is quirky and older the the USA :) the rooms are facinatinh and spacious it has some modern cons. Kettle , nice shower , could use chain on door and a safe maybe.
Our particular room had a leaky roof on night one. And the door knob was a bit wonky. All not big deals. The rooms are a bit grimy. The mattress covers a bit ragged. And toilet is tough to flush. But again I hate to say anything too harsh as this place is a fantastic building that with a little love and money invested ,could be amazing.
Thanks Manor House
Ps we spotted a bees nest in the building wall adjacent to parking lot. As of aug 10, 2103
We will be back. Cheers
From America.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Markocaster,

I am delighted that you returned again this year, and once again, enjoyed the quirky, old character of the building.

Just to let you know that the wasps near the stables bar have now been sorted.

I have passed all your comments on to the management team and all of the staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Auckland
#1 of 1 in Coatham Mundeville
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!