“A disappointing experience”

Ranked #1 of 1 Aveley B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A disappointing experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a 2 night stay for a friends birthday party. After living in Essex some years ago, this hotel always had a good reputation so thought it would be a nice treat. I opted for the upgraded room at an extra £30 a night bringing the cost to £88 per night which I can't see what I was paying for. The rooms were large and with a sofa bed would be good for families but in the case advertise it as a family room and not a premium room. Breakfast buffet was cold and tables not relaid for more guests coming in. All cereal, drinks and toaster on one table which meant it was difficult to get your breakfast items, could be an idea to split this down.
Hotel is used as wedding/function venue so I understand there may be some noise. The Saturday wedding party was at the back of the hotel so I couldn't hear anything from my room at the front, the party yesterday at the front, well I might have well been in a nightclub. The noise vibrated through every floor of the hotel. Night porter who was sat with earphones in, probably to drown out the disco, informed me that they had a music licence until 12 but thankfully things went quiet at 11 pm. My final note is the staff, other reviews state friendly and helpful. Sad to say I didn't experience it. Either they didn't speak to you or off somewhere else as reception was unmanned most of the time. A disappointing stay that was not worth the money that it cost.

• Stayed May 2013
Daniel M, General Manager at The Thurrock Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your review after your recent visit to The Thurrock Hotel. I found it very informative and I will be able to use it to improve hotel services. We have undergone a lot of changes and improvements over the last 18 months and by reacting to our guests comments we can introduce new systems to combat the negative feedback, I do agree with your comments on breakfast and moving forward I intend to introduce an improved continental breakfast buffet system - particularly when we have increased numbers. We have recently refurbished our main bar and hotel restaurant and the weekend you visited was the first weekend we were operating the new layout, I would like to welcome you back to The Thurrock Hotel again and I cn assure you if you do you will see a vast improvement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The reception staff were smiley and friendly but everywhere else was drab, tired and felt grubby. Pannini was inedible, went to bed hungry. Left before breakfast as i couldn't face it. Chair in room was dirty and unhoovered with dust, bits of skin on. toilet seat chipped. Only light switch by main door no lamp etc. Basic but not feeling clean

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Aveley hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel needs a thorough overhaul not just on the building but its staff as well!
Dirty Grubby place - which has cleaners because I saw them but heaven knows why they are paid...they do not CLEAN.
Cobwebs, dead and live bugs all over the place - dirty bed linen a heating system that most would love if they like to be overly warm...
There was a plus that the bed was comfortable
There was breakfast but if you like your food exposed to insects and spluttering people then this is the place for you...would I stay here again...may be my first suggestion is acted on otherwise...NO

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

On arriving the staff were very rude and miserable. Rooms full of cobwebs, small heater, clock an hour behind, bathroom dirty no towels only one pillow each, bed stained along with chair sheets dirty, floor creeks overall DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Babd125
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Mixed feelings about this hotel. The staff were extremly friendly & helpful, but the building is very tired & needs decorating.
The rooms are large & reasonable, but the corners of the wallpaper is curling back in places, if you get the picture.
Our room was warm, but some members of our party had real issues with cold rooms & had to be moved, & still were not totally warm.
The buffet supplied at our function was excellent, & so was the function room.
The bar service was good also.
To sum up, a dull building, with staff trying hard!!!

Room Tip: Check it`s warm first
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank johnj186299
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Thurrock Hotel is very good value but also a lovely venue, would definitely stay again without a doubt! The room we stayed in was very large and we ordered room service, in which the food was of a high standard and they done extremely well delivering it, due to them having a big event on that evening. Would recommend :-)

• Stayed December 2012
Essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Were invited to a mason ladies night, the hotel seem incapable of providing any form service when it comes functions. I was not surprised to learn this was not an isolated incident after reading other reviews. Firstly the bar that was serving pre-dinner drinks only had one staff member, there was 75+ people wanting drinks, I stood at the bar for over 10 mins to make my order. Additional staff did eventually come and help. The food was awful, meat was overcooked and the vegetables undercooked, there was no organisation when it came to bringing people their food which meant some people were finishing their food whilst others on the same table hadn't even got theirs. Honestly the food was terrible. The manager of the hotel had to apologise for the poor service to everyone in the room.
Our room was clean and bed comfy. The shower head was cracked which meant water was squirting out the side of it. Decor is very dated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel M, Manager at The Thurrock Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am fully aware of the issues and I can assure you that we are working hard to rectify things. I have had a meeting with the Ladies Festival commitee members and we have closure on the event and we are . We organise and operate 100+ events yearly amongst other things and normally get it right. On this occasion we did not. We have reviewed our operations and invested since this occurance in equipment and staff training.

The organistion and planning of the evening by the event organisors was unquestionable and there was a strong relationship between the 2 parties that we will continue to build up. We have organised events in the past for this lodge and they have always been happy with the service.

I am personally ensuring that every single booking will now be managed and attention to detail is in place to make events run smoothly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aveley
Ibis London Thurrock
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett
The Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Thurrock Hotel? Share your experiences!