“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tortworth
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2006

Stayed here for a weekend in July and I have to say that this is a great hotel that I could not find fault with. The rooms are very clean, and comfortable. The hotel is a magnificent building itself and the grounds are fantastic. The food and service was first class too. This really is a first class four star hotel. If you want a nice relaxing break in a superb hotel in the English countryside, this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed July 2006
7 Thank ross77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

I'm so glad I did not read the reviews before spending the night at Tortworth Court. I booked a surprise special offer night away with my daughter. Firstly it was a real bargain in beautiful surroundings and I did not expect to be presented with Gourmet food for the price! We were greeted very warmly by reception staff and were directed to an upgraded room. We then enjoyed a lovely swim and my daughter a very relaxing swedish massage. The bar staff were new that evening,very busy but welcoming. The menu was quite basic but with the number of people enjoying a bargain break I was not surprised. Overall great value for money.

Stayed June 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
maasmechelen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

I stayed at the hotel with a group of 40 people. I admit I had my doubts about the hotel, as I had read quite a number of contradictory comments on it. After enjoying a fantastic stay I want to say that my worries were antirely out of place.
Our coach was met and safely directed to its parking place by no less than three attendants. We didn't have to worry about our luggage: it was delivered at the door of each room. The location of the rooms is a maze? How do you build 150 adjecent rooms to a castle without erecting a skyscraper of 15 floors? From an architectural point of view I find the extension utterly successful. Finding your way might be a bit puzzling the very first time, but some of us even found it funny! Accommodation was excellent: the rooms were spacy, quiet and tidy. Food at Moreton's restaurant was good, and the actual location - the former library, which perfectly fitted the size of our group - appealed to everyone's imagination. Service at the restaurant? Impeccable and fast, in spite of a full hotel, a convention taking place during the weekend and a wedding party on Friday and Saturday.
If some guests were less satisfied, it might be a question of inconsistency as far as the performance of the personnel is concerned. In our case, we were forty of us and I didn't hear any complaint. Please multiply this comment by forty to counter all negative remarks!

9 Thank scheepers
The beautful city of Hull ;-)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

I recently stayed here for three nights at a conference - thank God I was not paying! If you don't stay in hotels very often, I imagine this is passable, but anyone who experiences hotels on a regular basis ...... not good.

Initially the first impressions are pretty good - great looks and grounds and in a nice setting. But, everything else was just, well, tired. Rooms were very chintzy, but clean and reasonably comfortable. I needed a taxi to get to my room (a LONG way from reception) and often got lost - a map would have been handy! At least the wireless internet worked well, every time and it was quick.

Probably the worst thing was the food. Breakfast was spectacularly inspiring and dinner not much better. Plastic jugs of water and a basic menu pointed towards a 2 star hotel, and not a 4 star!! Trade descriptions people have been alerted. Staff were very varied, some surly and unfriendly and some ok. I just got the feeling none of them were actually proud of their hotel.

So, in summary, some ok bits, but mostly pretty poor. Would I stay again personally? No way! There are much better places to hand over your cash to!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank JonMoss
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

The service level was 3 star. Just.
The room was nice. We got upgraded as it took 2 weeks and 5 phone calls to be sent a booking confirmation.
Hotel main building lovely. No mention of most if not all rooms in modern annexe.
Breakfast fine. Dinner first night poor. Second night better but not great. Packet sauces diluted too much. Lumpy mash, dry tasteless food etc.
Leisure club very nice.
Grounds nice for a pre or post dinner stroll
Great location for Bath, we spent a lovely day exploring and wonderful countryside and Cotswolds on doorstep.

So in a nutshell. Go for bed and breakfast. And get a deal. Off four pillars website good and don’t expect four star service!

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Herts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

Despite the mixed reviews on here, we took the chance for a weekend break here...BIG MISTAKE !!!

As previously mentioned, the grounds and buildings are quite stunning, serving only to lull the unsuspecting public into a false sense of security for the horrors that await. Reception was manned by a dishevelled looking girl, very poor first impression. The room itself was quite lovely, a big twin aspect one. But a bathroom with no window made worse by no heating, how are the towels supposed to dry? We were told firstly there was no heating, then by someone else it would "come on at some point", then finally again that there was no heating. We were promised a heater by the duty manager, but this never appeared. Dinner on the first night in "Moretons" was as bad as any I have experienced, including my primary school dinners. A tiny menu of four choices was made worse by the fact that the food itself was inedible. Mushroom soup got mixed up with the dirty dishwater, and the "red wine jus" became brown water. Add green roasted potatoes, bottled water served warm, and enough noise made by the staff to think the world cup had started early and you may begin to think all was not well...

Breakfast in our room was missing the coffee we ordered on the 1st morning, and minus the croissants and pastrys on the 2nd. An attempt to book the "Orangerie" restaurant was met with "Only table is at 21.00, and you get £19 allowance, but you have to pay a £10 supplement" . So I said, "we get to order £29 worth of food then?", to be told that the £10 supplement was just to eat there, not for any more food!!

I complained to the duty manaager, who assured me this was not the policy,and offered a table @ 20.00, which I declined having now given up on Four Pillars staff keeping to their word. I was told both nights meals would be deducted from my bill.

I was not suprised to find on my final bill that this had not been done, so one final visit to the duty manager eventually resolved this. Reception was FULL of people complaining as i left.

I will never return to this or any other Four Pillars Hotel, it is a complete shambles.

You have been warned!!!

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank EDTHETAXI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2006

The drive up to the hotel is amazing, the wild life surrounding the beautiful building is quite fantastic. The welcome we got as we entered was warm and friendly. checking in was easy and painless. Because of some of the reviews we had read we where expecting unhelpful and miserable staff but that was not the case. All staff where very pleasant and helpful. Our room was was lovely and clean with beautiul views over the gardens. The food is great and nothing is to much touble. We ate in the orangery as well as moretons restaurant and I would recommend eating in both restaurants if possible because the food is completely different. Breakfast is good service can be alittle slow but on our last morning we went down earlier and it was alot better. I would advise express check out. It is a fantastic hotel with good staff (some better than others) - some of the excellent staff have already been mentioned in other reviews, but go do not believe the negative stuff. my wife said that even thoe the hotel was full she felt that we where the only ones there because of the attention we received.

• Stayed May 2006
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortworth
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to De Vere Tortworth Estate? Share your experiences!