“Tortworth - Good & The Bad.....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Tortworth Estate

and 1 more site!
De Vere Tortworth Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tortworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2006

Having stayed here originally in May 2004, we were sufficiently impressed to return. Unfortunately, our second visit proved a disappointment. Whilst the grounds and building are impressive, there has been a significant decline in standards over the past two years. We had paid a supplement in order to stay in a "conossieur" room and were pleased that our request to be accomodated in the main building was granted. In the event, however, the room was probably inferior to (certainly smaller than) the "standard" one were had used previously. The advertised seating area constituted two chairs wedged into a corner, and we were provided with only one dressing gown between the two of us. There were various stains on the carpet. These may be rather petty concerns, but the lack of any form of air conditioning was a serious flaw. On the first night, we found the room became extremely hot making it neccessary to open the window. As a result, we were kept awake by the sound of a generator outside.

These issues alone would not have been enough to spoil our break; unfortunately, the service was largely terrible. Many of the problems highlighted by other guests on this site were also encountered during our stay. Bar staff showed a remarkable reluctance to break from their conversations in order to serve customers. For both evening meals, our wine arrived significantly later than the first courses, and the staff were rather sullen when advised of this. Moreton's Restaurant boasts an extremely limited menu (4 items for the first two courses) which would be aceptable if it allowed the chef to optimise skills over a small repertoire of dishes. Unfortunately, the meals showed little evidence of culinary finesse or character. We found ourselves paying to eat a meal we could have cooked far better ourselves. The food at the Orangery was better, but unfortunately the reception staff contrived to book us in an hour before the restaurant was due to start serving and then failed to contact us in order to rectify the oversight. Breakfast was no better or worse than in any hotel, but the service was particularly poor at this time (I make an exception for the staff in the Atrium, however). The most irritating example of this was when our toast rack was cleared from the table whilst we were serving ourselves at the buffet but used cereal bowls left behind.

It is a real pity that a decent hotel has been allowed to slide into such mediocrity. I can certainly not imagne returning here or visiting any of the other hotels owned by the Four Pillars group.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2006

It is a very impressive building and beautiful grounds, get the tree plan and walk route from reception. We spent two nights here and did over all have avery nice time. Things could be greatly improved on the service front. I felt quite sorry for all the staff who appeared very harassed and run off their feet. Especially so in Mortons resturant on the Friday evening. We waited 15 mins to be seated with no one even saying they would be with us soon. We were thrown a bread roll, no choice of cold roll, our water was dumped on the table with nothing said at all. The meal was ok but not an enjoyable experience, we tried to order coffee but were told we had to go to the bar for that. My husband ordered a pint of bitter that had to be got from the cellar as wew were told with a tut and much rolling of eyes ( yes Lucy, named and shamed!!!!)and when we asked about a bottle of wine we were directed to the cheapest on that was on offer. Now I have always been told never assume that the customer cant afford something, some one should tell them that.
Our room was a junior suite, nice but no fridge and no tariff for the selection of drinks on the side, I assume they were not included. Slightly disapointing bathroom but nice lotion and potions. We tried the pool and spa bath for all of 10mins as it was way too busy. The changing rooms could have done with a clean.
The thing that left us on a high note was Saturday evening in the Orangery. Beautiful setting, attentive staff and fantastic food. Loved the "modern English" and local produce. Eat here every evening is the best advise I can offer, its well worth the extra money as the braek on the whole was such good value for money.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank roxyroxy
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

When I drove up to this hotel my first impression was WOW! The building is wonderful and the grounds fantastic. I was still very pleased when I entered my room which was large and very well furnished. There were two comfy armchairs and a huge bed. The bathroom was average. Quite soon small problems and details spoiled the initial pleasures and I could only agree with previous reviews which indicate that it could be much better with more care and thought. In the bathroom there was a left over blob of toothpaste on the tiles from the previous occupant, the pillows were rock hard and made it impossible to sleep comfortably. The spa changing rooms were not very clean, the drinking water in the cooler had run and and there were discarded cups all over the floor. The showers were on such a short timer that you had to repeatedly push a button to wash hair. At the spa reception the attendant could not interupt her mobile phone call to give me towel and great me with directions etc.
I agree with previous reviewers about the breakfast which was under heat lamps. After selecting my breakfast I had to wander the restaurant looking for a clean table and then get up again to find a waiter to bring me some tea and toast. I was told that they had run out of ketchup!
I was on a business trip and would have loved to bring my husband for a long week-end, but sadly I won't be back as at this hotel there are too many irritationswhich would spoil it for us.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Penonboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortworth
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
BEST WESTERN Bristol North The Gables Hotel
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to De Vere Tortworth Estate? Share your experiences!