“eat in the orangery”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tortworth
London, United Kingdom
“eat in the orangery”
Reviewed April 11, 2006

It is a very impressive building and beautiful grounds, get the tree plan and walk route from reception. We spent two nights here and did over all have avery nice time. Things could be greatly improved on the service front. I felt quite sorry for all the staff who appeared very harassed and run off their feet. Especially so in Mortons resturant on the Friday evening. We waited 15 mins to be seated with no one even saying they would be with us soon. We were thrown a bread roll, no choice of cold roll, our water was dumped on the table with nothing said at all. The meal was ok but not an enjoyable experience, we tried to order coffee but were told we had to go to the bar for that. My husband ordered a pint of bitter that had to be got from the cellar as wew were told with a tut and much rolling of eyes ( yes Lucy, named and shamed!!!!)and when we asked about a bottle of wine we were directed to the cheapest on that was on offer. Now I have always been told never assume that the customer cant afford something, some one should tell them that.
Our room was a junior suite, nice but no fridge and no tariff for the selection of drinks on the side, I assume they were not included. Slightly disapointing bathroom but nice lotion and potions. We tried the pool and spa bath for all of 10mins as it was way too busy. The changing rooms could have done with a clean.
The thing that left us on a high note was Saturday evening in the Orangery. Beautiful setting, attentive staff and fantastic food. Loved the "modern English" and local produce. Eat here every evening is the best advise I can offer, its well worth the extra money as the braek on the whole was such good value for money.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank roxyroxy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2006

When I drove up to this hotel my first impression was WOW! The building is wonderful and the grounds fantastic. I was still very pleased when I entered my room which was large and very well furnished. There were two comfy armchairs and a huge bed. The bathroom was average. Quite soon small problems and details spoiled the initial pleasures and I could only agree with previous reviews which indicate that it could be much better with more care and thought. In the bathroom there was a left over blob of toothpaste on the tiles from the previous occupant, the pillows were rock hard and made it impossible to sleep comfortably. The spa changing rooms were not very clean, the drinking water in the cooler had run and and there were discarded cups all over the floor. The showers were on such a short timer that you had to repeatedly push a button to wash hair. At the spa reception the attendant could not interupt her mobile phone call to give me towel and great me with directions etc.
I agree with previous reviewers about the breakfast which was under heat lamps. After selecting my breakfast I had to wander the restaurant looking for a clean table and then get up again to find a waiter to bring me some tea and toast. I was told that they had run out of ketchup!
I was on a business trip and would have loved to bring my husband for a long week-end, but sadly I won't be back as at this hotel there are too many irritationswhich would spoil it for us.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Penonboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tortworth
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell

Been to De Vere Tortworth Court? Share your experiences!