“Cheap and awful!”

Almondsbury Interchange Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Almondsbury
“Cheap and awful!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The whole experience was greatly disappointing and I can now see after staying why the previous reviews have said what they have said. The hotel room was dirty the tv was practically on the floor was u couldn't see when in bed. Having a 2 year old with us who has recently been sleeping in a bed I was scared with her sleeping in the bed at the hotel as was so high up. The hotel room walls were so thin we could hear next door boiling a kettle. So all in all the nights sleep was bad. But to top it all of I was optimistic the continental breakfast may have redeemed it. However with only dried up bread and cereal on offer it was not to be. So we upgraded to a full english breakfast, another mistake unfortunately as with one sausage a scoop of beans and a slice of bacon for an extra £2 was not worth it. And a quarter bit of fried bread, a quarter not even half was a joke. Upon checking out was already waiting for the receptionist to ask how our stay was but she didn't ask and just took payment without even thanking us for staying. I would not recommending staying at this hotel and would suggest looking at any alternative hotel destination.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Korean first
cornwall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night only due to location to our destination. Paid £29 from late booking which was plenty compared to full price on board in hotel of £70 +
On arrival booked in, large ample car park and staff seemed polite enough although not chatty. Restaurant looked closed so went next door to the Swan for evening meal and drink which I would recommend.
On return to hotel had a drink in the bar which is manned by reception staff when she's got time then returned to our room.
Room ok for size, furniture dated but all matched, curtains nice and dark, tea / coffee, tv and free view ( when it works) but so low down the only place you can watch it is sat on the end if the bed!, plenty hanging space and coat hangers and plenty hot water . Bedding nice , 2 pillows each and towels pretty good.
Now for the bad!
Bed slopped up hill so we had to sleep with our heads at the foot end! Bed very uncomfortable, woke early with serious bad back so had to get out! Bed springy! Bed noisy with
every movement! Wall lights did not work! Furniture damaged! Only one wall socket to be shared with kettle! NO hair dryer as in description ! Taps thick with limescale around spout! Bath panel broken! Walls thin!
Corridors noisy! But worst all of the carpet was absolutely filthy ! Used to be cream now covered in HUGE stains and dirt/ hair , ? Human or dog :( there was no way I could walk around bare foot. I can except wear and tear and the odd bit of mould or dirt but not pure filth! This room has either not been hoovered in a long while or needs a new Hoover but mainly just a new carpet would do !!! For this reason I would not stay here again. Continental breakfast was ok, juice, tea, coffee, cereals and toast. No pastries etc but you can upgrade to a full English for £2 pp.
on leaving and checking out the woman on the desk did not bother Asking how our stay / room had been. Probably because she was embarrassed as she knew what the reply would be! For £29 I would usually say you get what you pay for but we spent the previous 2 nights in a premier Inn in Birmingham for the same rate and got 5* service and accommodation .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank bottle-blond

Travelers are raving about these Almondsbury hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Plus Sides...

This is my second stay at this Hotel, and I came back for a reason. It's cost effective, better and sometimes cheaper than staying in a BnB. The hotel has a 24 hour reception ( That has security at night ) and I had piece of mind....hence my return. I was well impressed last time that my room was upgraded to a double. All the single rooms had been reserved through a.n.other website i think !! - So I had the benefit of a 2 day upgrade. I'm only guessing if i'd stayed longer then I would of had to pay the double room rate !!! - Not sure, but I think that's standard with other hotels. Breakfast was free continental and decent.. I paid the £ 2 to upgrade to the full english breakfast, which was good, and asked for soft boiled eggs, which were served. The staff were decent enough on arrival, there was a free paper on reception with wi-fi that is of average speed, but acceptable.

The Less Than Plus Sides....

There isn't a local shop to pop too within 5 mins walk.. It's about 10mins. Not hotels fault tbh !!

I didnt see any cctv cameras in the car park.. ( perhaps they are hidden !! ) but since it's opposite Almondsbury Police Motorway Traffic Unit.. I doubt its a target for a sensible thief !

The Bar should be open All Day from Midday on a Weekend, and not at 6pm.. like the rest of the week. I understand it's not a pub.. But there is a massive Flat Screen Tv in there with Sport on a Weekend that i'd like to watch over a couple of cold beers.

All in all, I think the Hotel is Ok. Yes it could do with some minor tweaks as I have said above, but at the end of the day.. If i'm paying £ 37 for a room, I'm paying it for a reason.. And i havent been dissapointed with my expectations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SJRJACK
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

After seeing the reviews from other guests, I was a little worried about having booked this but for the money and the fact it was only one night, I thought 'never mind'.
Well, all I can say is I must have stayed somewhere totally different to the other reviewers! We booked two rooms and paid £74, this included parking. The rooms were more than satisfactory, clean, comfortable with all the necessary facilities you could want for an overnight stay. I have paid more for less comfort and cleanliness in a chain roadside establishment.
The breakfast was more than adequate, a choice of several cereals, toast, juices, fruit etc. If you wanted a cooked breakfast is was only £2 extra. Plenty of hot tea and coffee - really what more do you want?
I would definitely stay here again when I'm in the area. The bonus is it's not too far from the Mall and easy access into the center of Bristol.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JJ_Dragon
Llanelli, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is going to be a long review...

My partner and I had an unforseeable trip to bristol for 3 nights. we needed a cheap hotel that was an easy commute to UWE Frenchay Campus, and this was the cheapest hotel we could find for the short notice.

Despite the cheaper pricing, this was still not worth the money we paid for.

Due to the volume of issues, I will split this review into sections -

1. The Room
The room itself was large enough. but it was clearly not well cleaned. there were cobwebs and weird stains and marks on the wall (pictures added), there was only one plug socket in the entire room accessible (the one being reserved for the limescale filled kettle!), a bed that was unforgivably springy and broken, and a TV that only seemed to work when it wanted to.

and that's just the bedroom aspect, in the bathroom you had even more strange wall markings, a window that suspiciously faced public far too much, and a cold tap that only remained cold when it wanted to. this lead us to believe that the water was kept in a tank next to a boiler because it would change temperature for no reason.

On top of all that you could hear every other person in the hotel breathe or sneeze and it was absolutely boiling.

the next session...

The Breakfast

we had a free continental breakfast for each morning we were there, but we only kept eating it due to financial binds. had we of been in a better position, I would have passed.
the 'continental breakfast', was actually 'toast and cereal'. it was a couple of different cereals, some bread to toast yourself and a bowl of different jam packets. that was it. I'm most certainly sure that doesn't pass for a 'continental' breakfast. I have been in cheaper, smaller hotels who supply much more. not to mention the actual cereals and toast themselves really weren't great, and the orange juice on offer was disgusting. We both felt nauseous after each breakfast.

The Staff

I could forgive the dodgy food and dodgy room but the staff in this hotel just completely hammered the nail in the coffin for this review.

When we first arrived the receptionist was extremely short with us and dismissive. I assumed she may have been busy or was having an off day, but this kind of behaviour was consistent from all the staff throughout our stay.

every morning the woman ticking off our room number on the list at breakfast would address us in the same way - She'd smile, be very friendly and ask us if we wanted to spend £2 each for an english breakfast. each time we said no thank you, her tone and face would instantly change into a stern aggressive way, and would cut her conversation with us short. it wasn't busy any of the times, she just clearly wasn't interested in being polite if we weren't paying extra.

The worst part was when my partner went into the reception area to use the WIFI (only available in that part of the hotel!!) she had a serious phone call to make but needed to look up the number. when she found it and started dialing, the receptionist on at that time was watching some terrible reality television on a small TV. instead of respecting the guest, she pointedly turned her television up really loudly when my partner was using the phone. I could understand someone being on the phone as an annoyance, but it was clearly an important call, and judging by the business clientele and conference rooms they had at the hotel, this is probably not an in-common occurrence.

Location

This hotel is in a terrible location. it's in the middle of nowhere with extremely bad public transport links. it took us a 15 minute walk and a 45 minute bus just to get to the city center.

All in all, do not under any circumstance waste your time with this hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kayleigh M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed for a night over a weekend in August with my partner. The hotel is very close to the M5 motorway and convenient to local shopping malls. The hotel offered free parking which is good but the barrier stays open so not a secure car park. The front of service welcome was polite but not over the top and we checked in very easily. First impression was that this was a tired hotel but it was very clean. The carpet reminded me of going back to the 1970's and the theme followed its way to the room.

The room was well equipped, clean and quiet. The bed was of a very low standard mattress and the bed creaked and groaned with every movement. Not the most comfortable nigh sleep. Bathroom had mixer tap but the.water flow was very poor. Plenty of hot water though.

Tea and coffee facilities which was good. Iron press and TV.

Breakfast was a standard continental offering which was very basic. Some cereals, toast, tea and coffee but for an additional £2 per head they offered a cooks breakfast that consisted of bacon, egg, sausage, fried bread and beans on a small plate. Good value for money

Overall a good stay but the bed was not the most comfortable and it is very basic. But it was only £49 per night so you pa your money, you take your choice !!.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked this hotel late as I had to call into Almondsbury for other purposes on my way to Devon and thought for the price I might as well have a stopover. Yes, it does need updating if it is to up its game but it was clean, my bed was comfortable and my bathroom was nice. The room window opened which was nice on a hot night and there was surprisingly very little traffic noise. My only problem was I couldn't get the tv to work. The receptionist fixed it for me but I still couldn't do it next morning. Breakfast was OK I don't eat cooked breakfast so didn't go for the £2 option but was pleased to see fresh oranges and grapefruit added to the basic toast and cereal buffet. Staff were friendly and helpful and I liked the very large car park where I could park anywhere. If you go to Almondsbury don't miss the stunning view of Bristol suspension bridge, river and surrounding countryside. Walking, turn right out of the hotel then cross the road and first left. Take a camera.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maggie P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almondsbury
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#3 of 5 in Almondsbury
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol North
Premier Inn Bristol Cribbs Causeway (M5, J17) Hotel
Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel

Been to Almondsbury Interchange Hotel? Share your experiences!