“Voucher equals a bad taste in your mouth!”
Review of The Ringlestone Inn - CLOSED

The Ringlestone Inn
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: We have been consistently listed in Good Food guides and continue to offer our own unique style of good honest pub food as well as a selection of freshly cooked dishes to cater for most tastes. We offer a superb lunchtime menu & Sunday lunch as well as extensive evening menus with a selection of daily specials and waitress service. Whenever possible, Kevin, the Landlord, prepares all of our dishes from fresh local Kentish produce.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Let me start by saying, I use to visit this pub occasionally in its glory days, when pubs like this seemed to survive even though the location is quite remote!
The standard of food was of a good quality for a lunchtime, and the apricot and lamb pie was beautiful. The burger was also a good 'un. I won't say anymore than that on the food because the concept of using a groupon voucher here seems to leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.
We went for a 2 course lunch with tea/coffee to finish with for £39. How can it be advertised as £39 when you pay an additional 10% also PLUS a £5 fee for being a voucher customer? Yes it states it on the voucher but that's not the point! The perception is the deal is for a pound short of 40 quid!
Now here's the good bit
The friends who shared this with us were great company but of the four of us only one was drinking alcohol. Drinks consisted of 2 small cokes, 2 lime and sodas, 1 orange and lemonade, 1 mineral water, 2 pints of shandy and 4 pints of ale. For this little lot we were charged £45!!!!
So the sum total for the dining experience was £100-by the way we didn't take them up on the tea/coffee as part of the offer.
This is not value for money for a lunchtime. To cap it all Shepherd Neame, who are the brewery, have a delectable range of toilets in a lot of their hostelries, and the experience here was much the same...grim! Shepherd Neame please get your act together on this front.
The landlady did her best and was hospitable enough, but the pub world is struggling and unfortunately the pricing made us feel that you could have got the equivalent for less without the voucher in other pubs.
Remember the apricot and lamb pie was FANTASTIC though and maybe that's enough for you?

1  Thank zozy1

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited on a cold evening in March, the wind was roaring and bitter blasts blew us right up the front steps. Inside the most amazing blazing log fire greeted us in a real olde worlde pub with beams and a real welcoming atmosphere. The food was good and the staff helpful and accomodating. As Brie wedges and then enjoyed the Vegetarian Wellington. I was happy that the veggie meal was imaginative and not something I would ordinarily cook for myself. The rose wine was good too, sadly I was too full to enjoy any dessert! We had a brief chat with the chef, he's a lovely guy and clearly very proud of his pub and his cooking! It was nice to have a chat with the chef, it makes the experience much more personal. Full marks!

christina872, Manager at The Ringlestone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

thank you so much for your review greatly appreciated

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My Partner and I visited this restaurant a few months ago and I have only just got round to writing a review, I felt it was neccasery after reading so many bad ones - to which I was very shocked. I was happy to pay the service charge because I got a really good deal in the first place and I'm sure if any if you where to visit a restaurant without a voucher you would still be charged 10% service charge and not moan about paying it. The food was really nice home cooked comfort food accompanied by an unusal glass of wine. What was nice is that you dont have loads of fressed up staff wondering around waiting for you to finish your meal, we were just left to enjoy the good food by a warm roaring fire. I would certainly reccommend.

1  Thank FromLondonto-
christina872, Manager at The Ringlestone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

thank you so much for your review im glad that you appreciate our efforts and our offers.you are quite right in what you say about the ten per cent service charge which we do for gourmet society taste card our own loyalty vouchers and of course groupon.and of course full paying guests.we hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Its a real shame, this pub is one of the nicest pubs i've been too, surrounded by Glorious country side. Ive eaten before a few times as full paying customer, and whilst the food is nice, its overpriced and smallish portion for what is essentially pub grub. I saw a groupon offer in January for a 2 course lunch for £20 and thought i'd take advantage of that. You are definately looked down upon if you are a groupon customer, any my 2 course meal ended up costing me another £30!! One small glass of wine cost £5.10, nearly all the of the items on the "groupon menu" had a £8 surcharge if you wanted anything other than a pie or pork belly. The 10% surcharge is ludacrous (even though its made clear that there will be one) what has really angered me, is since looking at my receipt just now, they have also added a £5 Groupon surcharge!! 2 surcharges in total. Unbelievable. How can you expect to gain new custom when you are trying to completely rip every off I wonder. I wont be eating there again. And strongly recommend you to avoid this place for food, go around the corner instead to another lovely pub called "The Dirty Habit" in Hollingbourne.

2  Thank Santanicop
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I went to the Ringlestone Inn as recommended by my girlfriend. I used a Gourmet Society card which did help as there is a 2 for 1 main meal deal available using this. I ordered the sirloin steak, cooked medium rare and my girlfriend had the lamb shank.... both were absolutely delicious! The steak was cooked superbly and was of good quality. The chips and salad were equally as good too. I did try the lamb shank and it just fell off the bone and melted in your mouth! Delicious again!
The pub itself is lovely. Real character, and the service was extremely good. I didn't feel as though the menu was overpriced. Yes it's not cheap, but you do pay for what you get, and what I got was bloody good food!
I will be returning to sample more of the menu, and perhaps if I'm not driving I will also sample the interesting looking collection of wines behind the bar :-)

1  Thank Tim R

thank you so much for your review gratly appreciated x