“Brilliant for hen party”

Church View Bed & Breakfast
“Brilliant for hen party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in bunk house for 2 nights we had a ball it was my daughters hen party the couple who own it were brilliant even cooked our sausage for us and supplied us with eggs for our veggie friend. Included in price was hot tub value for money would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this b and b for two nights. The location for visiting York is excellent and also within an hour of Whitby. We stayed in a cottage set behind the b and b. It was all very shabby and needed a lot of work we where disappointed at the standard and even had trouble sleeping due to the broken blind on the sky light window, this was reported but nothing was done. The standard of accomondation was poor and the cleanliness was in need
of improvement we even found a false eye lash on the floor and the kettle and cooker really needed replacing. there where also broken floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. I would not return to this accomondation and could not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sarah H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

This is a fabulous place for a family to stay. Large rooms; car parking close to the rooms (so you don't have to carry the cases very far); friendly welcome; and close to York and it's beautiful streets, walls and cathedral. Our family of 5 loved the room and the quiet pastoral setting.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Allan S
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Had a great time.. Would stay again... Very accommodating and helpful .Plenty of room for us all and a hot tub was a great addition. Would recommend groups going to York stay at Church View and it is only a short taxi ride away from the city centre.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Had a great time staying at Church View for Hen weekend, hot tub was and brillian addition and really made our weekend. Owners were lovely and really really helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely stay there again :)

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Lynn and her family could not have been more helpful and we all had a fabulous time here at Church View. 18 of us booked out the whole place and we were really allowed to make it our own...we decorated the sitting room of the main house and the cottage - perfect for our hen do. Julia, Lynns daughter is an absolute star...she helped us decorate, did our hair and even let us use the main oven in the house to cook with. We felt so at home and everybody loved it. The village of Stockton on forest is a perfect balance of countryside and proximity to York which meant we had the best of both worlds. Cannot thank Lynn and her lovely daughters for their hospitality, would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Hannah S
Western Isles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We arrived at the guest house too early which was entirely my own fault for not listening, but when we phoned the numbers on the board and explained I couldn't get in the reply was "what time is it?" (as she was on holiday abroad) but it was really the tone of voice and not what she said. When we came back at the proper time it was not to a very enthusiastic welcome and she failed to inform us that there was a sitting room which we could use as well. I attempted to find someone a bit later to ask for someone and failed to get any response from the door. Most of the time there was noone around and it felt more like a youth hostel.
The room itself although very clean was shabby, small and not particularly comfortable. The shower was so high up I couldn't reach it, though fortunately I had my partner with me who could. We ran out of toilet paper and had to search for someone to ask for more, there was no lightbulb in my lamp(though they did of course get me one when I asked). The place was really a little bit on the shabby side and the stairs although most people would manage should really have been mentioned before hand as it was a steep circular stairway with very limited space to manage a case. I doubt I could have managed my case myself due to bad knees, though I am in no way disabled, it just would have been useful to know in advance. Again it was about the attitude as we were told " oh everyone manages it!"
I suspect our welcome would have been very different if we hadn't chosen a time when the owner was away as she came back the night before we left and seemed a lot more interested in what our stay had been like than did the person in charge when she was away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dealande
lynniris, Owner at Church View Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
This women is clearly very hard to please!
Firstly I am the owners daughter who works here all year round and was not just runing the B&B while the owners were on holiday!
I do feel it is a shame that these guests felt there was nobody around however i beg to differ as the comment below from the girls in the hen party that also stayed while the 'owners' were away have aspecially comments on how helpfull i was during their stay and how i went out of my way to help make their stay a good one, and im sure they did not think i had a rude tone to my voice nor does my mother who they called on her mobile when they arrived early, my mother was on holiday in majorca and when she said "whats the time" she was actually asking my father who she was with as spain is an hour infront and was trying to think what time it was back home. As for the comment on the spiral staircase i recall the lady saying as she came in the door "oh i did reading somthing on the website about it having a spiral staircase but i thought it ment in the owners part of the house" why she would read it thinking it was in the owners part of the house is beyond me. we write on our website there is a spiral staircase in the B&B so if it is a problem to anyone they can book a room where they wont have to go up the stairs!
My final comment is back to the fact that this lady is hard to please as she complained to me when she was here that the mattress was to soft and foud it hard to sleep and i see she has also commented on staying at a best western hotel and that the mattress was too firm!
When guests make comments on trip adviser i always look to see what comments they have wrote on other places!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton on the Forest
Holiday Inn Express York
Orillia House and Cottages
Orillia House and Cottages
#1 of 2 in Stockton on the Forest
Claxton Hall Cottage B&B
York Holiday & Cycle Stop

Been to Church View Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!