“Brilliant food let down by service”

Macleods Restaurant at The Coniston Hotel
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food let down by service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The food was great .. Decent choice of wine .. But staff untrained and no continuity with them so they do t know where you are up too etc which was a shame... Lovely dining room but with no views! Its built in car park... Such a shame as the hotel is surrounded by amazing views

Visited July 2013

Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
“the best food ever”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

we had decided to book a table for Saturday last thing and the staff were so very helpful in finding us a table, we were sat by the window over looking the lake, we had duck and venison for the main ive never tasted food so good and the desserts just melted in your mouth, there are no words that can describe the food you just need to try it your self and you will know yes its that good. the staff are so helpful the service is out standing, we would like to thank all the staff.
l

• Visited July 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food is sensational and the choice available is superb. The service received from all staff at this hotel is exemplary

Visited July 2013
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Food at the Coniston”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The meal was rather ordinary the starters were better than the main course of bacon the potato gratin was stolid when new potatoes abound and we left our wine.The dining room is lovely and the staff were attentive except next morning when we moved tables out of a hot window a female member of staff stood by and let us get on with it

Visited June 2013
Leeds
“Good food let down by "untrained" staff ?”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I arrived with my wife & Daughter, in response to me having always wanted to visit, having passed it for years.

Firstly, I should explain I was very tired and a little bit drunk. Anyway.

1. We were given menus and placed our orders to the waiter. Who promptly returned and said that menu was now finished, but we could order bar food instead. Not a good start.

2. We needed wifi for our iPhones. The bar staff had little knowledge of this and kept referring us to a network which didn't exist. There was another network, but the signal strength was negligible and kept cutting out.

I had to go to the hotel reception who confirmed the wifi had poor connectivity with I-devices and had always been a problem.

.... So no wifi then.

(Incidentally, I work with computers, this is a doddle to fix).

3. My daughter ordered a steak. A steak knife would have been nice.

4. We ordered desserts. We had to remind the waiter that some cutlery would be nice.

5. Despite all this, we enjoyed ourselves. My wife and daughter left to go to the car, and I stayed to settle the bill.

Remember, as i said, being a bit drunk, i wasn't "with it", so I paid and proceeded to leave.

Hang on, it dawned on me, £94 is a bit pricey ! So I went back.

The guy behind the bar agreed with me (he thought as i was initially leaving, would have been nice of him to say), so we went through the bill again.

We had been charged for that aborted 1st menu choice, plus a few things we hadn't. That knocked it down to £75.

The batman couldn't raise the manager, but admitted with glee "he knew how to do refunds".

I returned to the car, and explained to my sober wife, who said it STILL wasn't right. So she went back inside, and found more errors.

We were greeted this time by the manager (I think).

In the end, we had been over charged, in excess of £40.

This looked like a top notch establishment.

Great location.