“Location and staff let down by poor food.”

The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coniston Cold
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Wonderful location which the hotel makes the very best of. I imagine what ever time of year you visit the views will be breathtaking. Every member of staff (apart from 2 male waiters in restaurant overlooking terrace) were professional , helpful, courteous and friendly. The bed was one of the best I have ever slept in. The room and hotel is absolutely spotless and very comfortable. Unfortunately if we could have eaten elsewhere we would have. Undercooked or over cooked, greasy or dry the kitchen could not get it right. Very unpleasant food. Breakfast was the best meal but even then the eggs were not that good.
The two dishevelled male waiters were obviously recruited from macdonalds or Frankie and bennies. Food served and asked 'are you set' as if we were in a fast food race. They had missed the training the rest of the staff had received and were unsmilingly hurried and not very smart.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LBolton, General Manager at The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to write a review following your experience.

I was pleased to read that you felt the Hotel was in a wonderful location and can assure you that it has an impressive view whatever the weather!! It was pleasing to read that Breakfast was the best meal during your stay. It was lovely that you felt the majority of our staff were very polite and couldn’t do enough for you.

I was surprised/sorry to read your review suggesting that the food/service did not meet your expectation and I can assure you that this is not a description of our staff and what we do. Our team are passionate about customer service and constantly praised on exceeding our customers’ expectations and can only apologise and if only you had mentioned these issues whilst you were staying with us and we would have rectified them immediately.
Should you wish to return please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation and reassure you that your unfortunate experience was a one off.

Once again thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just returned from a great two night stay at Coniston Hotel. I booked it as a birthday surprise for my husband. I got a special deal through booking.com so it was great value. the views are fantastic and the lakeside walk is lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate in both The Huntsman and Macleods and had good food in each. Would definitely return - it was such a relaxing couple of days.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We are delighted you had a relaxing couple of days with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staff here seem so proud to be working at this hotel and interested in giving fantastic service. They make this a great place to stay. The rooms are lovely, spacious, well designed, with lovely views over the lake and country estate. There is lots to do (although we didn't use any of the activities). It's a great base for touring, walking, cycling. And we ate here the first night and decided to come back to the restaurant for the second night and then arranged to stay for a third night as we were enjoying it so much. Lovely to watch the wedding guests coming and going and having a great time, even though we weren't part of it. All in all - brilliant.
(I think I might ask if I can hold my 60th birthday ceilidh here).

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a view over the lake. And stay here for dinner.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We love this hotel having stayed here before. We availed of the offer for kids to go free and have to admit the room was a good size as a family room (we could have had a bigger room for an extra £40 but the standard was very spacious for a family room so this wasn't needed). However there was a wedding on the day and this meant that we had people going to bed at all hours which kept waking up the kids!! We woke up to find wedding cake outside our bedroom door!!!

I think that this hotel is amazing and my husband and I treat ourselves to come up, have lunch and do the clay pigeon shooting. It is a bit pricier than most for the food, but the quality is good and it's just great to relax in resplendent surroundings. However I wouldn't bring the children back to stay as we weren't told that a wedding was taking place when we booked and the other residents were really noisy, so not conducive to a good nights sleep for them or us.

I duly completed the feedback form and handed it into reception expecting the staff member to read my comments about the noise etc but she put it aside and didn't respond to it. When I told her the issues, she said that was unfortunate, and that was it.

So again, we will visit to shoot here and maybe stay again but won't bring the kids again. It may be gorgeous but my kids need a good nights sleep and they may not get it on a night here.

Room Tip: The family room that we had was Cygnet which is a really good size but seems to be a route for all c...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your views with Trip Advisor. Delighted that you think our Hotel and food is amazing.

I am however sorry that you were disturbed by noise during the night. The noise was certainly made by wedding guests who were staying in rooms close to yours. We have a dedicated night team that are always on hand to deal with any problems and had they known you were being disturbed they would have dealt with this immediately with the guests making the noise. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delayed response in replying to your comment card and only wish Reception had brought this to my attention when you checked out.

To redeem ourselves in your estimation please contact me directly to arrange your next stay so that I can personally oversee your reservation and upgrade you to one of our luxury rooms.

Thank you once again and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed for a few nights in July. The walk through the woods and around the lake was magical. The view from the terrace sipping a glass of bubbly was delightful. Wi-fi worked well. The owner approached us himself and asked if we were enjoying our stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a long walk from reception.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Lovely hotel, fab views from our room across the lake.Breakfast was exceptional, really good and the poached egg's were some of the nicest I've ever eaten.Cream tea was another highlight of our stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Enjoyed four nights here in August, it has beautiful views of the estate from the terrace. The staff are extremeluy helpful and friendly. There are good designated walks around the estate of which the hotel is part of. Food was excellent with good choices and I would reccomend the evening meal. For the romantic there seemed to be a wedding every day but caused no inconvenience to other guests. We did not try the various 'country experiences' but their appeared to be plenty who did. All in all a lovely hotel and a very enjoyable break.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston Cold
#1 of 1 in Austwick
Falcon Manor Hotel
Falcon Manor Hotel
#2 of 4 in Settle

Been to The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!