“A Glorious Escape”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coniston Cold
Chorley
“A Glorious Escape”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My Wife and I needed a break after 2 years without time away due to commitments. We booked a luxury double for 2 nights on a dinner bed and breakfast tariff. Staff were superb, any request was met with a "yes of course" response. I can only mention the names I learned (Hannah, Jenny and Paul) but all staff were polite, attentive and welcoming. The choice and quality of food from the inclusive signature menu was outstanding, although courses from the A la Carte menu were available at a supplement allowing us to mix and match the two menus for a great dining experience. We were delighted with the results when on the second night we asked the restaurant manager to choose us a glass of wine to suit the food we had ordered (the 2006 chateau briand is sublime).

We booked a full day of falconry, and like the other reviewers we were more than impressed with Mark (Head Falconer), we would do his knowledge a disservice if we described it as encyclopaedic as it reaches far beyond the simple mechanics of fact recall. The information he shared with us over the day was relevant, interesting and extremely engaging giving a true insight to the fantastic creatures he quite obviously has a lifelong passion and respect for. We would highly recommend a day with Mark, it is fascinating!

It was archery on Sunday (thank you Malcolm) for an hour which was about right for first time Robin Hoods, as fatigue sets in. I don't think William Tell has much to worry about, but the experience was one we will not forget.

All in all a highly enjoyable trip made better by the wonderful staff we met. We cannot wait to return for a hunting day with the birds of prey.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms all have epic views over the lake and Dales
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
nelson
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Enjoyed the food despite the hot main being brought out minus the chips which I had to wait for. Almost eaten the main before the chips arrived "a kitchen error". Good presentation and a lovely room with marvellous views. The bill had errors on - items we had not ordered were on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LBolton, General Manager at The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us as The Coniston Hotel and agree with you that Huntsman’s is a lovely room with marvellous views. I have taken on board all the points mentioned and I can assure you that we will continue to train our staff and maintain the high standards that we try so hard to achieve. Please be assured of my attention in these matters.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

So my wife bought me a full day falconry experience for my birthday. On arriving at the hotel I was greeted by warm receptionists who showed me to a table where I had a really good bacon barm. We then set off to the falconry centre at about 10 where we were greeted by Mark, the centre manager. We spent the (very wet) morning learning about all the birds and in between showers flew some. The birds were so well trained and it was lovely to see them doing what comes naturally to them. I would also like to add how knowledgeable your falconers were. Every question I had was answered in such an engaging and enthusiastic way. What I really needed after a wet morning was a warm lunch, which, hit the spot perfectly.
In the afternoon we got to fly the awesome golden eagle, Genges. I have to say I have told all my freinds to go to the falconry centre and give it a try and will 100% be back to learn some more!!
Thanks Mark, Matt and all the hotel staff for one of the best days ever !
See you soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth G
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Booked a superior double room & asked for a quiet room & got exactly what we requested. Lovely hotel, lovely food in the bar and good service even though the hotel was busy with a large wedding taking place.

Would highly recommend even stopping off enroute to Lakes to eat here.

Room Tip: New rooms are good if you like quiet location away from bar & function areas.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Altrincham
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Excellent hotel and well managed-extremely efficient. First rate and very kind caring staff. The restaurant and menu were of the highest order and service always polite and considerate.

Our room was spacious, light and extremely comfortable-we lacked for nothing.. Impeccably clean and thoroughly well serviced.
Hotel situated in most beautiful setting overlooking glorious views of Yorks Dales surrounded by acres of former farmland impressively landscaped and with its own most attractive lake. Everything at this hotel combined to ensure a most enjoyable and memorable stat, albeit too short!

Room Tip: Choose room if possible overlooking lake and views of Dales
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We are fairly local (Skipton) but used The Coniston Hotel for our daughters wedding venue.
Could not fault a thing about the venue,only my headache the next morning.The attention to detail from day one in booking the wedding had been first class.My daughter was really very happy with how the rooms where set up, especially for the wedding meal.I would recommend The Coniston Hotel to anyone.
Thank you Claire for everything on the day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We took our two children (girl 13,boy 6) on may 26th 2013 ,staying in a lovely big family room with a balcony and a view to die for, we stayed in room 56,
room clean as a whistle with a bathroom as good as any hotel I've stayed at .
Staff are fantastic ,they can't do enough for you.
We had lunch at the hotel. We only ordered omelettes and soups but was 1st class .
Booked the kids to do archery which they loved and was well worth the money.
Beautiful scenery and wild life.
Walks round the estate breath taking !
I took my own shotgun to the shooting centre ,can't recommend it highly enough. superb facilities ,both centre and the hotel have cabinets to store your gun.
Went to into dales so didn't have evening meal but if its half as good as breakfasts you'll be happy. Breakfasts are superb ,so much to offer (even for fussy 6 year olds).
I recommend the smoked haddock and poached eggs ,the best I've ever had!
Whole family went to the falconry centre.
Matt met us there( still on the estate) , what he doesn't know about birds of prey ain't worth knowing ! Birds are wonderful ,from barn owls to peregrine falcons , Harris hawks to golden eagles . Fantastic!!
Honestly can't say one bad word about any of it ,we will be back . Thanks Louise to you and all your staff .

• Stayed May 2013
#2 of 4 in Settle
Travelodge Skipton
Travelodge Skipton
#4 of 4 in Skipton

Been to The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!