“A proper pub”
Review of Aston Arms

Aston Arms
Ranked #12 of 35 Restaurants in Market Rasen
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in Market Rasen in October 2013.We could not fault the Aston Arms.We liked the layout of the pub,the food was good pub food,the beer was very good,but best of all was the landlord.Welcoming and courteous,a gentleman.

1  Thank Lynne R
There are newer reviews for Aston Arms

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We have visited this happy market town pub on a number of occassions. Whilst the streets of Market Rasen may be quiet, inside this pub it is full of life. The food is quickly served and generous, whist not Cordon Bleur or Michelle Roux it is highly substantial fare. Needless to say the Lincolnshire sausage makes an appearance. As I am planning to move to the area repeats visits will no doubt be made.

1  Thank Martyn B
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I did pay the Aston Arms a visit and I did regret it, although I was not surprised. Yes, the beer was good, and the limited menu was typical of most pubs in this area, but the open plan aspect of the building means that you cannot get away from pool, wide screen television, and noisy customers. All the Market Rasen pubs are more than a bit down at heal and living in the past; if you don’t want an Indian, and now that the Red Lion has closed, there is nowhere in the town to go for a civilised drink or a decent meal. Believe me I've tried them all!

The Aston Arms is ideally placed to provide all the things that the George, the Swan, the Chase and the Advocate Hotel don’t provide, but instead it chooses to be just another of the town’s boozers (and haven't we already got enough of those?) Surely, as the pub in the market place, it should be a place where all types of people can feel at home and where there is a separate lounge bar for those that don’t want to be part of the “lads”. Perhaps I’m asking too much, but as someone who is quite willing to spend a fair amount in a decent pub each week, the Aston Arms or, in fact, any other pub in Market Rasen wouldn't have a hope in hell of persuading me to part with my money on a regular basis.

3  Thank PendowerN
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is first and foremost a pub. The beer is well kept and very reasonably priced, the food is good quality and great value (see some of my other reviews about high priced sandwiches in Cornwall and Devon).

It does have other attributes. If like me you own a vinyl copy of Elton John's Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy ( to give it it's full title) this pub features on the album inserts. This is because Elton's song writing partner, Bernie Taupin, is from the area. It said locally that Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting was written about Market Rasen in the 70's.

So if you're in the area (and the Lincolnshire Wolds are lovelly - who says Lincolnshire is flat!) pay the Aston Arms a visit - you won't regret it!

2  Thank rasenite