“Beware if you need an extra bed for a child”

Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Huby
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The rooms are very compact and showing there age, admittedly Tulip have only recently taken over the hotel but I don't think they will be able to do anything about the room sizes without a major internal refit, we were very disappointed and seriously considered packing up and going home, we had booked what we believed to be a family room but there was a misunderstanding on the 3rd party booking website we used, we later found out they don't have family rooms and put a z bed in the room, this would have been fine if the bed had been in good order and there was room to put it. All in all my opinion is the staff try very hard with what they have to work with unfortunately the hotel itself just isn't quite as it seems on the website. More concerning to me is I feel Tulip have taken a step into the Travelodge market with the standard of the rooms here but tried to keep theIr pricing from the higher end hotels. I am sorry to say this is the worst night I have spent in a hotel for several yearsand at 90 pound's a night it is very overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank mastertortiose

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Our wedding was this November just gone and we decided to have it at the Burn Hall as it looked rather old fashioned on the outside but extremely modern on the inside which we liked - not so keen on the new name though, cheapens it a bit. However I'll go through the pro's and con's of our experience.

Pros.
- Firstly the space you get for the wedding breakfast/evening meal is incredible, the room is massive and was plenty of space for all our wedding breakfast guests. Also the meal for the wedding was gorgeous. Everybody commented on how nice it was and there was plenty of it - not that the men ate much before their speeches!
- Secondly, the toastmaster Tom was fantastic, he really couldn't have made the day better from fussy kids, to the annoying DJ (keep reading), to helping decorating, setting the xbox up and almost agreeing to do naked Gangnam Style, he really did make it easier to enjoy.

This review would have been 5 out of 5 if it had not been for a few issues.
- Firstly, after our DJ let us down the hotel were very good and booked us the in house DJ for the night which we were grateful for as it was short notice, however the DJ was incredibly rude to several of our guests including some children and when I (the bride) asked for a song he said he'd see about it which peeved me a bit.
- Also, when we were at a different hotel the day after, before our honeymoon, we had two people call us saying the hotel was calling them saying they hadn't paid in full for their room and that the staff were really rude to them. In addition to this, once back someone from my husbands work was saying they had drinks put on their room which they hadn't had so maybe some system needs to be put in place.

As the day went really quickly these are the only points I can really remember :) so thanks for a good day.

3  Thank brunnylass
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked three rooms here last week for business. My room was poor quality furnishings, the bathroom was bigger than the room and the room was very basic. Breakfast was basic and there was only instant decaf coffee. I thought the entrance etc was lovely but very disappointing- it needs a makeover. It could be lovely and appeal to the business traveller if it was upgraded. Water in the rooms would be a nice touch and upgrading the furnishings.

Room Tip: Dont expect luxury -its very basic
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Thebarrs
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had our civil ceremony here on 24/11/2012... Which im guessing Tracy H's review is referring to im sorry the noise interfered with your stay and yes maybe your right keeping peolpe from a large party together is a good idea if it can be done but imagine this is hard when people all book separate.

That out of the way i have absolutely nothing bad to say about burn hall or the staff. They worked so hard to ensure our day ran smoothly. Our expectations were exceeded and we couldnt have hoped for better.

We arrived on the friday to be greeted by several very helpful staff who helped us unload the car and take our belongings to the room ready to be set up the following day. We had nothing to worry about we set up our centre pieces and the staff took care of everything else nothing was too much trouble, and we were left to relax for the evening. The six of us who stayed the evening before booked into the restaurant for a two course meal which was £18.00 and worth every penny the food was top quality.

We had the suite which was spot on, lovely large room, comfortable lounge, king size bed.... FAB!!!

Wedding day was fab Scott took care of everything and took the stress away from us... Cheers Scott it was much appreciated. The 3 course wedding breakfast was amazing as was the hog roast.

Our day was amazing and that was all down to the friendly helpful staff at this hotel... Special mention to scott, sammy and melissa. Unfortunately they are the only names i can remember but everyone was great.

2  Thank Ronlaw1979
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Just spent two nights at this hotel and have to say all staff very friendly and polite. Restaurant could do with more choice but the food we had was very nice bar meals,breakfast and restaurant. Ideal place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of York centre and very close to one of the park and ride places so easy to get in and out of York with no stress

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank peterpointer
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and myself went here for a weekend stay with another couple on the wine and dine package,we thought overall it was a very good stay and couldn't fault it.
I don't really understand the negative comments,rooms were clean,lovely thick towels,plenty of hot water,and very warm,what more can you really need?
Food was very good,drinks a little expensive,but you are not made to buy it are you? And the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only thing I would say is the wedding party which stayed were very noisy and inconsiderate to other guests,enjoy yourselves by all means but don't inflict the noise on everyone else,nobody wants to hear banging doors at 4.30 in the morning,so when I stay again I would ensure there was no wedding party on,and we would definitely stay again.
Also breakfasts were very good and plentiful,you can pay extra for kippers etc but there is no need as there is plenty to choose from and all food was cooked well and replenished through the breakfast service.
A very good stay and would have no hesitation to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I planned our once a year break....I was a little apprehensive about going as I had heard mixed reports. The rooms were basic, the bathroom was much bigger than our room. The television didn't work, I did inform reception. No one came to repair or look at it.
There was a private function on..and on the Saturday night, the noise from other residents was disgusting...running along corridors, slamming doors, laughing, arguing, shouting. This went on until 4-50 a.m.. No regard for other residents. On a positive note, the Staff were brilliant...helpful, obliging and extremely friendly. We dined on the Saturday evening, and the food and service was first class. The Receptionist did apologise for the noise, and said that she would take note. Perhaps put all the party goers on one floor.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim_Cook, General Manager at Best Western Burn Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your review. We have addressed the issues you encountered in your room as well as taking on board your suggestion about the placement of large groups throughout the hotel.

I am delighted to hear your positive comments about our food and service and will pass these on to the team.

We hope to see you again.

With kind regards

Timothy Cook

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huby
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Kimberley Hotel
Kimberley Hotel
#7 of 30 in Harrogate
Golden Fleece Hotel

Been to Best Western Burn Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!