“average quality”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

it was ok but when you see the real asian people eating and cooking their own food in a different area - you wonder about the quality again

Reviewed May 31, 2013

much better food than a lot of other paces in leeds, prices rae fine service is alos good and friendly yes I like this place

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The place is gleaming , staff lovely, service fast and efficient.
BUT ...the food is cheap, processesed meat and the sauces kind of middle of the road not too spicy or sweet . Its okay food not bad but not great.

We had lamb, chicken, pork and duck dishes...apart from the duck all the meat tastes like the preformed stuff. Rice is nice and the Funky Pudding morish, coffee okay and free refills are offered.

Overall for quality and value I would give it 2 stars only,.but because the staff and service are great I've addd one more.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have visited this restaurant a few times since moving into the village, both to eat in and take-away, mainly because of the convenience.

The food is mediocre; I have had much nicer Chinese food elsewhere and certainly would not recommend the restaurant on this basis. The prices are also distinctly average, so they certainly don’t offer any fantastic value for service either.

However, what REALLY stands out at the China Palace is the service, which I can say with all honesty and sincerity, is the worst service I have ever experienced over a consistent period of time.

On a couple of occasions we have asked for certain alterations to the food when ordering (such as fresh chilli in this dish, no onion in that dish etc.) and each time the person taking the order (who I believe is one of the managers) audibly sighs, groans and tuts at the audacity of a paying customer daring to ask for their food to be cooked the way they like it. Any requests for major alterations (such as asking for salt and pepper chicken pieces, instead of wings) are greeted with, ‘we don’t do that’.

On the one occasion what we ate in the restaurant the person taking our order (who I believe to be the owner) was extremely rude to my father-in-law and ended up virtually forcing him to accept an item from the menu that he didn’t really want; it reminded me of the scene from ‘Mickey Blue Eyes’ when the Chinese woman in the restaurant shouts, “I’m not waitress, I’m owner, now eat the [--] cookie”!

I really wanted to like this place as it is our local restaurant, but the service really is so atrocious that I refuse to give them any more custom and will certainly not recommend them to anyone. If I want Chinese food I now drive to the next village, which is about half a mile away.

If you are looking for truly fantastic food and want to experience really good service (usually with a couple of freebies thrown in) then I would highly recommend visiting The Cumin Lounge, which has just moved into the village about 50 yards down the road. They are more than happy to cook your food exactly as you request it and will have a go at any dish that is not on their menu. I fear that unless The China Palace sort themselves out they may not survive the new competition that has just raised the bar in quality and service in South Milford!

3  Thank Restaraunt L
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Been a regular visitor to China Palace over the years. On last visit everything as normal until unfortunately one of the young waiters dropped a sizzling skillet which ruined my son's trousers. He was mortified and did everything to clear up and make sure we were ok. On leaving I asked politely for the manager to review the bill to cover the cost of replacing my son's trousers. Never have I been made to feel so uncomfortable. I was made to feel like a common criminal for daring to suggest such a thing. It was made worse by him engaging in a conversation with the head waitress in Chinese. On pointing out that I was a regular customer and only seeking adequate redress for damage caused he said basically - so what, I don't invite you, you come of your own choice and it was an accident. After further animated discussion including a comment that customer's aren't always right, he agreed to take £18 from the bill. It won't cover the trousers but I just couldn't be bothered arguing further. I will vote with my feet and not return. A shame because we have always enjoyed our visits.

3  Thank Golfer966