“Brilliant, couldn't fault it at all”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
york
“Brilliant, couldn't fault it at all”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Have been before but was hesitate as some of recent reports on T A not good but I found the hotel just brilliant, the high standards of food and service were excellent, everywhere very clean and tidy the Spa facilites were good, great place for golf and walking. will return again soon. watch out for offers on short stays I can not praise ths hotel enough. Quality and style abound. WELL DONE Matfen Hall.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2009

What a wonderful experience- we got married at Matfen on 28 June 2009 and everything was perfect. From start to finish the wedding team were completely professional and delivered 100% perfection. We had a large group of family staying from Holland as well as friends and family from as close as Durham and as far as Columbia- they were all looked after perfectly with the staff even putting up a Dutch Flag and providing gouda cheese for breakfast! The rooms were all lovely and very comfortable. We started the weekend with a private family dinner for 70 in the main restaurant, excellent food, lovely ambience and great wines. The following day we got married in the great Hall without a hitch. The room was full of candles, very romantic and Matfen allowed us to bring our own chairs which made a little more space for our many guests. We also had a wonderful gypsy band from Prague and a Rabbi all of whom were made to feel comfortable and integrated into the proceeding with ease by the Matfen team. We had the reception at my father's house near by but guests returned to Matfen that evening and were welcomed back and supplied with an excellent breakfast the next day. Being an event manager in the North East I can safely say Matfen is without a doubt the best venue in Northumberland - professional, stunning setting, fantastic food, flexible with planning and very family orientated. Thank you Matfen Hall for helping us to have the most perfect wedding.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
edinburgh
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We have just returned from a 2 night mid week break at Maften Hall and our experience bears little resemblance to some of the previous reviews. We had a superb time there - our room was well-equipped and spacious and the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The food was delicious - i'm vegetarian and each night the chef offered me additional dishes to the ones on the menu (I can particularly reccommend the praline and banana souffle for desert) . The leisure facilities were excellent, even though I had a child with me I appreciated the 'adult only' times at the spa. It was very good value at £120 per couple for dinner and B&B, plus £14 B&B for my daughter and our dog stayed for free! We attempted Go Ape, which was fantastic even though we had to abandon our session early due to thunder and lightening. We would definately go back to Maften Hall, all the problems highlighted in previous reviews seem to have been sorted out..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank EdinburghGrace
North East
Reviewed July 10, 2009

My partner and I were lucky enough to be invited to a dear friends wedding at Matfen Hall...
We had a wonderful,magical day-the ceremony itself took place outside -Wow!
The reception was lovely,staff were all super, and certainly no queues next morning at breakfast!!Although the first morning we had breakfast in our room.
I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel..we will return-for certain.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JumpingSquirrel
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have been to Matfen Hall several times now. The first time I went was for a wedding. The hall that the wedding is held in is very beautiful and the old part of the hall is worth a visit.
I enjoyed my stay because the food could not be better and the staff are excellent. The sitting room beside the restaurant means you can relax to views of the golf course and watch the sunset while enjoying a good whiskey beside a roaring fire. In the morning you can also enjoy a leisurely coffee and read the paper.
The leisure facilities are good even if you are not a golfer although the pool is a little small especially if there are lots of children playing in it, making it hard to swim.
The atmosphere is very relaxed and when we had a problem with our room we were upgraded immediately and our luggage transferred while we were out.
It makes an excellent base for seeing the country around Hexham and is close enough to Newcastle that we were able on the second night to travel to the theatre and back without any problems.
A lovely place to get away from it all.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aec00
Dacre
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I spent an evening at Matfen Hall this week as I was in the area and planned to have dinner with an important client. I discovered too late that Matfen Hall has obviously never experienced single female business travelers before as was clearly demonstrated by the barman and the waiter spending the entire evening addressing us as though we were a married couple, “Good evening Mr and Mrs”, then ignoring me and looking to my male guest for instructions, orders and, finally, paying the bill. Our table became available 40 minutes after we booked it and during the meal we ended up walking round the table to rescue our own water to top up our glasses our drinks as the staff were obviously too busy. The flushed and clearly stressed waiter replied “No problem at all” to any simple request which was a little puzzling as I had never indicated that there might be a problem. Could he not reply with a “Certainly”? Or “yes”? Or “It will be my pleasure”?

The list of irritations was long – my morning call never came, staff barging into me as they rushed along on an important task, (guests do get in the way, don’t they?), receptionist not bothering to ask if I had enjoyed my stay and then not even registering when I gave her feedback about why I hadn’t. Guest are such nuisances at Matfen as they seem to expect service.

Matfen has even joined the irritating group of hotels that adds £1 to the bill for their chosen charity. No one mentioned it was there although I am sure if I read the fine print of their terms and conditions I would find out all I needed to know about their clever fund raising that gets them great PR. I received a real black look when I deleted it. Charitable giving is my choice, not a that of a hotel’s PR department.

The staff are untrained, unsophisticated and with no idea whatsoever what good customer service looks like. In a practically empty breakfast room, it took 15 minutes to get coffee and I was left with the distinct impression that I was being a little unreasonable when I asked them to hurry up. Some of us have work to do, Matfen Hall, but clearly not you.

The surroundings to Matfen are just lovely and I would imagine that when the hotel was refurbished it must have been impressive. Ten years on it is all looking a little tired with carpets stained and threadbare in places and furniture looking as though they have had their money’s worth out it. This could be overlooked if there was the level of customer service that was promised on the website. This hotel needs a radical overhaul in terms of customer service, a huge shake up and investment in people. Although they may be employing untrained locals, young people and foreign national, they can still be trained.

Until Matfen gets its act together and remembers that the customer comes first, I suggest you all steer clear. If you have a wedding booked I would be feeling a little edgy if I were you. At the moment I have no idea how the hotel would begin to match the needs of your guests.

Matfen – train your staff. I can tell you that it will be no problem at all.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
13 Thank Keptcalmandcarriedon
UK
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I stayed at Matfen Hall a year ago but didn't write a review at the time but I was looking the place up as we had a good stag party at the Go-Ape and golf which is at Matfen Hall and was very surprised by the bad reviews.
When I visited Matfen Hall it was superb. Food was brilliant; I'm a Novocastrian and Matfen's food was simply the best in the area. Parmesan souffle was amazing and my pork on a bed of squid ink pasta was superb.
On my stay I got a free upgrade to a larger room, which was large and spacious, though admittedly the "sitting space" was rather defunct as it was basically a sofa in the passage between the room and the bathroom, no fire, or tv, or coffee table or anything which is usually associated with a sitting area so a bit pointless.
Service was very helpful, when required, I needed a bucket of ice and one turned up a minute later. I found breakfast to be nice, though I will qualify this by saying I stayed on aday when there wasn't a wedding. Most of these bad reviews seem to be on a wedding day when I imagine it gets very busy.
I did not try the spa facilities but they looked good and the golf was great, really top-notch. Had a lesson as well and the pro is very friendly and helpful.
As I mentioned we have since been to the newly opened Go-Ape at Matfen which was also excellent; a great way to spend a couple of hours.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hotel_bed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!