“Luxury with golf attached.”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Borders Scotland
“Luxury with golf attached.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at Matfen Hall Golf and Spa resort as part of her birthday celebration.

The hotel is superb. The service is excellent right from the initial booking process through to the room and restaurant. The room we chose was a balcony room (actually a large window seat overlooking the golf course); pleasant and spacious. The bed was large and very comfortable.

It was, however, the service which was the highlight. Cases to the room, golf clubs stored overnight, friendly service in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. The restaurant - the Library - was busy but elegant. The wine list was good with an imaginative presentation of wines by type. The meal - particularly the desserts - was very good.

The only slight downside for us was the golf. We played on a Sunday afternoon - very crowded and, since it was a 27 hole course, the crossover points were cluttered and queued. The Monday was much quieter and much more enjoyable; lesson - avoid Sunday if you are keen golfers.

An ancilliary point, we put our dog into kennels - the Hadrian Pet Hotel - while we were at Matfen Hall. It is very close by and the care and grooming offered was very professional.

2 Thank TobagoWedding

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Epsom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We also booked through Secret Escapes. The setting is spectacular with beautiful views. No traffic noise and lots of birdsong. I asked if a room upgrade was available, but the hotel was very full. I need not have bothered, our room was fantastic. Large and extremely clean. Fridge with milk and water, quality tea/coffee and biscuits. Iron, ironing board safe etc etc. Quality toiletries.
When we arrived, I ordered tea and scones on the terrace. I was very nervous about the bill, but it was only £6.70 for two. Service was outstanding throughout. We had a small issue about noise, which the receptionist was mots apologetic about and promised to raise it with the manager. We also used the spa - very good - wide range of treatments and facilities - such as an aromatherapy sauna. Dinner and breakfast outstanding too.

Room Tip: Try and get a golf course view.
1 Thank F1roger
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Such an amazing setting and beautiful property. I have always found the staff very helpful and courteous and have never had anything but a wonderful time here. The food is of a very high standard and the breakfast is fantastic!! The spa was not finished for our visit, but I know that is is now finished and is beautiful!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaL21
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We booked an overnight stay via Secret Escapes. For the rate we paid (£75 B & B) it was an absolute gift.
Very nice room which was very clean and we got to check in early too.
Spent a fair bit of time relaxing by the pool and used some of the new spa facilities. The Aromatherapy Room is heavenly.
Hubby and I shared a Wimbledon cream tea. Sandwiches,scones with jam/clotted cream and pastries which were all yummy.
We used The Keepers Lodge (Golf Club House) to eat in the evening - 1) Lasagna,garlic bread & wedges 2) Cheese omelette and chips. Both meals were delicious - chips the best I've had in a good while. Not sure what their names were but the 2 ladies who worked in there were very pleasant and gave us good customer service.
For breakfast highly recommend the porridge with cream and honey mmmmm. The cooked breakfast was spot on. High quality sausage,bacon etc and cooked to perfection. Double bookings in gym for me in the next week!!
From arriving to leaving we had a lovely lovely time at Matfen so much so we've booked again for August and taking some friends with us.
Excellent service from all staff members we came into contact with. Special mention to Rebecca who served us our tea as well as breakfast and also Lisa on reception.
Keep up the great work guys n gals. We look forward to returning very soon.
*If anybody is on EE network - you will struggle to get a signal here. Obviously not the hotels fault but thought worth mentioning*

1 Thank MissMarple50
Cumbria
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I took my husband for the night to this wonderful hotel for his birthday. The hotel is set in acres of beautiful countryside. We were very lucky to get one of the large four poster rooms on the front the views were just amazing over the golf course. The bathroom was as large as a normal standard bedroom and so warm. The food was just wonderful I have dietary requirements and the restaurant manager came to see me after we arrived to sort out our dinner, this is so good as there is nothing worse than going to a restaurant with dietary requirements and the chef can't or won't accommodate them. Service and staff were so lovely we really felt special. Thank you all very much.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HolidaymakerCumbria
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 23, 2014

When I arrived at Matfen Hall for a couple of nights in May, I didn't know what to expect. The reviews on here were a bit discouraging.

Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, some of the hotel is a bit dated but this adds to the character and charm of it being a one-time aristocratic country house. You feel more as if you're a guest of the baronet rather than a paying guest at some branded hotel.

That isn't to say some things couldn't be improved. The entrance was difficult with luggage as I had to lug it up a paved slope after the taxi driver dropped me off in the parking lot. Plus, there isn't a porter or bellman, which is unusual because there isn't an elevator to upper floors. Thankfully, the duty manager assisted me with luggage once I checked in at the front desk.

The rooms were classically decorated. Some bits were dated, especially the bathroom fixtures. The toiletries -- the shampoo, conditioner and lotion -- were superb and much better than many fancy branded hotels. I wish I had found the maid's cart so I could have raided it to take shampoo back with me. My room had a wonderful view of not only the formal gardens, but also the grounds looking out toward the golf course.

By hotel standards, dinner was very good, both in terms of food and value. I especially liked waiting in the drawing room and having a drink until my food was ready. I'm sure this allows the hotel restaurant to seat more customers, as customers aren't taking up a table for as long of time period. Of course, this also prevents the awkwardness of sitting at a table with nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs. I do, however, wish the hotel enforced a dress code for the restaurant. It took away from the atmosphere to see some in shorts and other casual clothing. The staff were also dressed a bit shabby in black shirts and pants. Truth be told, I expected dinner jackets or even livery.

The breakfast was more than filling in the morning -- it held me over until late afternoon, so I didn't require lunch. On my final day, I had to leave super-super early and told the front desk clerk the night before -- around 11 p.m. -- that I wanted my breakfast delivered to my room. He said for me to fill out a card and hang it on the door knob. I forgot to do this, but he still remembered what I wanted and the exact time. Talk about service! Do note breakfast is served in the restaurant a bit late, which is a disappointment as it prevents one from getting up nice and venturing out early in the morning unless you want room service.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel with lots of options -- golf, a full spa, outdoor activities -- for guests. My biggest issue was its location, which is a very, very expensive taxi ride from the closest train station. It's also terribly expensive to take the taxi to the major local tourist attractions, such as Hadrian's Wall (over 50 pounds each way!). The hotel should have a complimentary shuttle bus to the train station and a discounted taxi rate to Hardian's Wall. I was also surprised they didn't have bicycles for guests, as the area in and around Matfen Hall is perfect for bicycling.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank planetraincar
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, a country house that has been converted, set in acres of beautiful countryside.
We spent three nights there, on a bed and breakfast basis. Our room was lovely, spacious and spotlessly clean, the room was not air conditioned and was very warm, but we were provided with a fan.
We didn't eat in the 2* Liibrary restaurant as it was fully booked the first night. However we did eat in the Conservatory Restaurant - which was good, though our desserts were disappointing.
We ate out for our evening meal the other two nights - the Errington Arms, and The Angel Corbridge ( both reviewed separately )
Breakfast was served in the Library Restaurant and was tasty. However the service was very poor and disorganised. This was commented on by many of the guests.they need a system! And they need to clear away cereal bowls etc before bringing any cooked food.
The Swimming pool and spa were fine and we spent a few hours there each day.
All in all a very enjoyable three nights - breakfast service excluded!

1 Thank moxxy-girl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!