My wife and I recently stayed at Matfen Hall Golf and Spa resort as part of her birthday celebration.
The hotel is superb. The service is excellent right from the initial booking process through to the room and restaurant. The room we chose was a balcony room (actually a large window seat overlooking the golf course); pleasant and spacious. The bed was large and very comfortable.
It was, however, the service which was the highlight. Cases to the room, golf clubs stored overnight, friendly service in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. The restaurant - the Library - was busy but elegant. The wine list was good with an imaginative presentation of wines by type. The meal - particularly the desserts - was very good.
The only slight downside for us was the golf. We played on a Sunday afternoon - very crowded and, since it was a 27 hole course, the crossover points were cluttered and queued. The Monday was much quieter and much more enjoyable; lesson - avoid Sunday if you are keen golfers.
An ancilliary point, we put our dog into kennels - the Hadrian Pet Hotel - while we were at Matfen Hall. It is very close by and the care and grooming offered was very professional.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Agoda, LateRooms and Priceline so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland