Had an overnight stay here booked via Secret Escapes. Had afternoon tea prior to using the spa facilities (shared one between 2 - ample) which was served in the lovely drawing room by very courteous staff. We were disappointed with the spa facilities - a bit tired and not in full working order; the poolside had used plastic cups scattered around - left by lazy guests! The room (49) was spacious, clean, comfortable and had all the usual necessary extras; fridge in room with bottled water and milk too. We were unable to book any treatments for our stay, which was disappointing but they are obviously popular. The conservatory was a pleasant room to have a pre-dinner drink and dinner was served in the Library Restaurant, which is gorgeous. Great choice of food(for evening meal and breakfast) - excellently prepared and served by very nice, helpful staff.
Pros - great staff, lovely dining, comfy bed; Cons - spa not up to scratch
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Otel, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Orbitz so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland