Our four night stay there was very satisfactory and good value on a 'Secret Escapes' package. Our room was comfortable, quiet, clean and very well equipped. Staff were mostly pleasant and helpful (except for one who was sulky that we dared to ask for missing serviettes) and there was very good food in the restaurant. We didn't use the spa or pool as the pool really had room for only four swimmers and was often busy at the times we would have found convenient, but it did look delightful. The menu had some excellent choices, but not enough variety for a whole week's stay. Flavours were excellent. Service was efficient, although not as friendly fast, or accommodating to individual requests as our favourite hotel. The surrounding countryside is charming and the vista from the hotel over the golf course is impressive if rather open. We couldn't find that many footpaths for walkers starting from the hotel, though. The superb Great Hall, used for weddings could have been the model for Hogwarts and photos thrilled our grandaughter. . The hotel is located within a short drive from Hexham and Corbridge, both of which are worth a visit, and a cheap 40 minute rail trip from Hexham takes a scenic route down the Tyne valley to Newcastle. Further afield there are several places of interest along Hadrian's wall. Rothbury (Cragside), Alnwick and the golden beaches of the coast are an hour away.
Altogether we found it a very good place for a relaxing and enjoyable four days, and feel sure that it was be a fantastic location for a wedding.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland