“A firm favourite always our first choice in the area!”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
“A firm favourite always our first choice in the area!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

we love staying at maften hall. the staff have always been so welcoming, approachable and at times entertaining. we often come here 3 or 4 times a year to relax and have had some great affordable last minute deals. the old part of the hotel is much better than the newer rooms as we've found on previous stays that the gym is below some of the newer room and the music can be head from early morning.however we were quickly moved on complaint and all bags were moved for us by staff. discount vouchers for another stay were also placed under our new rooms door when leaving which i thought a lovely gesture.
food is plentiful and of a high quality in all three places to eat. in the conservatory we failed to finish our plated and in the main restaurant we were too full to finish desert.
the spa is great allowing plenty of time for adults only swimming away from families. the only downside we find is its hard to get treatments as they are always fully booked.
overall a lovely quiet and relaxing break away from reality. i can't imagine anyone not enjoying a stay here.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Sunderland
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife won an overnight B & B stay at Matfen. We upgraded our room and booked into the Library Restaurant for our evening meal. Reception was very good with the receptionist being very helpful and courteous. The room was excellent, large, with a lovely view over the golf course. My only gripe was the lack of power of the shower. We went for a swim and found the pool to be of a good size and, at the time we went - 6.15pm, was very quiet. The decore in the pool area, however, does need some TLC - a lick of paint to cover up the rust on edges would make a great improvement. We went down for dinner and sat in a large room overlooking the golf course, adjacent to the Library Restaurant. We were given menus and wine list promptly and our drinks order was taken. The drinks arrived and our meal order taken. We were then, again, very promptly, taken into the dining room. We were seated next to a window, again, overlooking the golf course (yes, you've probably guessed that I do like golf). The table was fine but very close to two other tables with couples already seated. I couldn't understand why the six of us had been put so closely together as there were plenty of other tables in the restaurant. My starter of salmon and prawn fishcakes arrived - not a huge portion, but adequate for a starter. The flavours and presentation were very good. The waitress serving bread came to us on more than one occasion to ask us if we wanted more bread - the walnut bread was delicious. Our main courses arrived, again, promptly, but oh dear! The portion sizes of both main courses were a joke. I thought nouvelle cuisine (sorry if my French spelling isn't up to scratch) had been assigned to the culinary trash can years ago. On saying this, however, the quality and flavour were good. However, a few extra vegetables, not as a separate side order, would not have gone amiss. We were so disgusted with our main meal's lack of value for money, we decided not to have one of the overpriced desserts. We asked for coffee in the adjacent room we ordered our food in. Our main waitress, Katherine, who had been excellent throughout the meal with her friendly chat and unhurried manner, asked if everything was alright with our meal. We told her of our displeasure about the potion sizes and lack of vegetables with our main courses. She said she would notify the chef of our comments. She then arranged for complimentary chocolate truffles to be served with our coffee and said she would not be charging us for our coffee. I thought this was adequate recompence for the disappointment of our main meal. On paying our bill, the restaurant manager was available so I took the opportunity to air my views. He said he was sorry we hadn't enjoyed our meal and would pass on our comments to the chef - again, a more than adequate response to our complaint. After a nights sleep, we went down to breakfast after 9am to be seated immediately. The order for coffee and toast was promptly taken and both arrived very quickly. The breakfast choices were very good, especially the cooked breakfast - The Northumbrian breakfast consisted of eggy bread, black pudding, caramalised apple and 2 small, very flavoursome, sausages. The contast between last night's 'offering' at dinner and the breakfast was vast. The staff at breakfast were also very attentive and pleasant. Would we come back? Not at the price they charge per room or the dining experience, but breakfast - very good.

Room Tip: Room 37 was excellent if you are prepared to pay for a de-luxe room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MtheP
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your dining experience and my Head Chef also extends his own personal apologies for any shortfalls you felt. Going forward we will review the comments you made and where appropriate changes will be made.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the waiting staff, which could have easily been overlooked due to the circumstances. I shall ensure they are relayed to my team.

On a positive note, I am glad you enjoyed breakfast!

Thank you again for your comments.

Yours sincerely

Bernard Bloodworth
Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I booked a two night stay in April 2013. This was the first time we had been here and were really looking forward to it, as we had heard some really positive reports.
On arrival we found the reception staff very welcoming, and we were showed to our room in the new part of the building. The room was very smart and clean, although the view over the rear car park was a little disappointing, but it certainly didn't bother us.
Our afternoon was spent with a brief explore of the grounds. Matfen Hall is really impressive,, something you don't appreciate on arrival, due to the entrance and car park being sited at the side of the building.
Our dinner was pre booked for us at 8pm,which suited us, unfortunately when we presented ourselves, at 7.55 they were not ready, and we didn't actually get a table until 8.20. Now that doesn't sound too late, however, we generally dine at 7.00pm..so we were a bit peckish to say the least.
I was really looking forward to my smoked duck starter, followed by lamb as a main course.
Anyway, the starter finally arrived, 8.40 by this time. A portion a mouse would have had no difficulty in polishing off....several slices of duck (apparently) however, each slice was no more than 1 millimetre thick...why the plate measured at least 14" beats me...my wife was nearly as disappointed with her beetroot starter. It now became evident why everyone on the next table, which consisted of 8 elderly lady golfers, were ordering fries, to supplement their meal.
I'm afraid the lamb main course too was largely forgetful, It consisted of 3 very small pieces of lamb served on a very small bed of vegetables, and then for some obscure reason drowned in what looked like packet minestrone soup, but described as consomme.
The wife ordered the salmon, served on a bed of fresh vegetables on a potato puree, not really that exciting... but acceptable..
We then ordered a cheese board...but gave up after 15 minutes..
On our way out the duty Manager asked us if we had enjoyed our meal.......well I think we know the answer to that......he responded by deducting the price of the wine...£22 a fair gesture in my opinion.
Now we knew what to expect at dinner ie. not that much in the way of quantity or indeed quality, we stocked up at lunch in nearby Corbridge at the Angel Inn (very good) and enjoyed the wonderful Northumberland scenery.
Our second night was as we had feared...much the same menu...but after 2 very large gin and tonics, it didn't seem to matter that much.
In conclusion we found the staff to be very friendly...unfortunately we never met the Chef...We loved the building, and its history, and despite the food in the Library restaurant, we would return...but eat in the Golf Club perhaps.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StChristopher_8
Durham
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I returned to Matfen Hall yesterday for a chilled night.
We paid extra to be in the old original part of the hotel. It was worth it. The room was large, bright and comfortable with terrific views of the grounds.
Only problems in the room were very dirty windows and a shower set at a scorching setting that could not be adjusted. Be warned it would be dangerously hot for children.
We had lunch in the nearby golf clubhouse which was very tasty and good value. (best burger I have had for years). Staff excellent.
The spa is nice and quiet but needs a clean and refurb. Spa pool is cold.( always has been).
Dinner in the library was of a high standard and staff attentive and friendly.
Drinks in the conservatory were a ridiculous price hence it was empty. When will hotels learn to charge a reasonable rate and people would use the bar.
Next day had an excellent breakfast and again could not fault the staff who seem to be mainly locals.
Only gripe was we requested a couple of teabags from reception just before our evening meal but are still waiting for them. Overall a very nice hotel and we shall return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old original part of the hotel. They are the best. Avoid rooms above the spa a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We got a nice late deal for bed & breakfast. Nice room, friendly staff, glorious location. Breakfast was lovely. (Try the Craster Kippers). Can't fault it. We would have loved to have stayed longer. We were really made to feel welcome but the service was not intrusive.

• Stayed April 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife & I sayed for our second visit and as before it was very nice, staff friendly & excellent, facilities excellent, food fantastic, first vist we stayed in the older part of hotel where the rooms are larger and superb, this vist we stayed in the newer part and although the room was smaller it was perfectly acceptable and to a high standard, we will definitely be visiting Maften Hall again, so whats the naughty part well when we got our bill popped under our door I noticed they had added a £1.00 donation to their chosen Charity - North East Air Ambulance Service, a very worthwhile cause with a note indicating if you did not wish to contribute tell reception at check out and they will take it off your bill. I think this is a bit naughty on their part nothing should be added without your consent the opion to make a donation should be given not assumed you want to even though you can take it off. Bad marketing as had they made it an option I would have probably donated £5.00 just thought it a bit cheeky. All that apart I am probably just an old fashioned fuddy duddy who does not make assumptions for others, if your thinking of going to Maften Hall do it you will love it.

Room Tip: Have stayed in old & new section of hotel and both are equally as good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PAL000
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was here for a couple of days midweek for a training event, so no weddings or parties etc when I was there. I had room 11, which is in the newer part of the hotel, overlooking the swimming pool. I was very quiet and relaxing except when the guest in the room upstairs could be heard walking up and down the room, and the ceilings must be quite thin! The bed was very comfortable and I could not think of anything else I needed in my room. The wifi is not very strong in a lot of the parts of the hotel but it is free. Breakfast was great. Dinner in the main restaurant was OK but the food was nothing special and the service was not really as smooth as I would have hoped. All the staff were pleasant though.
The pool was very good and the gym has the latest technogym equipment and some free weights.
Be aware that there is hardly any mobile phone reception here except vodafone, so you will depend on the phones in the room and on the wifi.

Room Tip: The ones in the original part are much bigger with more character, but mine in the newer part part w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!