“Recent stay at Maften Hall March 2013”
Review of Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights Bed & Breakfast. This is a gem of an Hotel where they understand the meaning of friendly helpful service, the room we stayed in was lovely with Oak Beams, very clean, tidy and spacious. The fine dining experience in the Library Resturant was FANTASTIC. the food was to die for and in my opinion at about £40 per head for three courses, this is very good value for money. All in all with a nice bottle of wine it came to about £105. My only regret is that we didnt book a Dinner Bed & Breakfast rate which we most certainly will do next time has this will provide even better value for money. WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Get better value by booking a DBB rate P Malin
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest

I am so pleased you enjoyed your whole ‘Matfen Hall’ experience, during your recent stay with us.

I will ensure your generous praise is forwarded to my Head Chef and his team!

We look forward to you joining us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Matfen Hall

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went to Matfen Hall because friends of mine could not go and they didn't want the holiday to be wasted. I live in County Durham so one of the first good things was that it only took me forty minutes to reach the wilds of Northumberland and the home of the Blackett family which is now a superb hotel. If you want to get away, have splendid scenery, wonderful staff and excellent food this is the place to go. They have a spa and a golf course - it could be two, I don't play golf so I can't say I noticed but you have meals in the library, there are log fires in the sitting rooms, there is a bar which looks out over the acres and acres of green and I have never met such good staff anywhere. They couldn't do enough and yet they didn't get in the way.
Matfen is just outside lovely Corbridge, not far from Hexham but a world away from work. I did ask them if they would adopt me but alas I had to leave and come home.
Next week I'm going with two friends to have a spa day. Very reasonable and all the joys of Matfen once again.

Room Tip: It would be nice to be on the front but I could see the church from my huge bedroom anyway.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth G

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review following your recent visit to Matfen Hall – your official adoption papers are in the post!!!

We look forward to seeing you again this week for your Spa Day.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have visited Matfen Hall 5-6 times for spa breaks and have just returned from another wonderful 1 night stay. I travelled with my Mum and we booked a deluxe twin room and at the time of booking requested a room in the old part of hotel. We where given room 11 which was indeed in the old part of the hotel and was very spacious, clean and well appointed.
As usual our spa treatments where very relaxing, the leisure fascilities are good and the food was amazing. We booked a spa day package and then booked bed and breakfast separately. The 2 course lunch was lovely- I had the Lamb which was delicious and my Mum had the Salmon which she said was also very good. The white chocolate mousse was so tasty however my mum's sticky toffee pudding was a little dry.
Our meal in the Library restaurant was also very good however i had phoned a week prior to our visit to book a table at 19.30 and upon check in was told they had no reservation and could only fit us in at either 19.00 or 20.30. We opted for 19.00 and it's not a massive issue however if they had been fully booked i would not have been happy if we couldn't get a table.
Every single member of staff was helpful, smiling and said hello everytime you walked past. Imparticular i would like to mention Helen on the spa reception who was very proffesional and informative. I would also like to mention the male member of staff who was working on the juice bar the morning/lunch time of the 27th February as his coffee and smoothies where delicious and he was really efficient and helpful (Can't remember his name but he had blond hair).
My Mum and I both enjoy our breaks away and will continue to come to Matfen.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LKRBrampton

Dear Guest

It was lovely to welcome your Mum and yourself back to Matfen Hall for your recent Spa break and I shall ensure your kind words are passed on to the Spa & Leisure team.

I note your comments regarding your reservation for our Library Restaurant and I shall ask my reservation / reception teams to review their systems in place.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall in the very near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the second time we have takien up one of the offers for a midweek stay at Matfen Hall. Basically this is an elegant well-run Hotel with excellent facilities and as already stated in the other reviews in a great location particularly if you are golfers (which we aren't!)
The cheaper rooms are slighter small and can be too warm ( as evidenced by the bulky aircon unit) but still comfortable and the breakfast is oustanding using mainly local produce. Overall an excellent experience

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter M

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read, how your second visit to Matfen Hall was as enjoyable as your first and I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Wherever possible we do strive to use local produce and our breakfasts are a fine example of this.

I hope you are able to join us for many more occasions to come.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from an midweek overnight stay at the superb Matfen Hall where everything was first class.From arrival to departure nothing was too much trouble from a well organised staff,a big thank you to them all.Our accommodation was of the highest quality as was both dinner and breakfast which was held in a beautiful restaurant.
After our evening meal we relaxed in the conservatory and sampled the local beverages which left me a little on the fragile side come the next morning nevertheless it was worth it,a hearty breakfast put things in order however.
Hopefully it will not be too long before we return to this excellent venue as we both enjoyed our stay so much.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms backing onto the church as the bells start chiming at 6.00a.m. .
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DAVIDANDKAY504060
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent visit to Matfen Hall and indeed the local beverage! I’m pleased our ‘hearty’ breakfast was able to aid your recovery.

Your kind words are greatly appreciated and I will forward your review to my team – thank you!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Was lucky enough to spend the night at his beautiful luxury hotel in August 2011 following a truly unforgettable wedding. This hotel is In really picturesque settings, whole surroundings inside and out are simply lovely. My boyfriend and I stayed in a standard double and it was a beautiful, comfortable, very generously sized room with walk out balcony, lovely modern bathroom, all the amenities you need. Fantastic views and all round experience :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanielleRobo

Dear Guest

Even though it has been a little while since you stayed with us, it was lovely to read how your visit to Matfen Hall is still fondly remembered!

I hopefully look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall in the very near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Matfen is a converted country hosue that has a great hall for event and beautiful original rooms for melas and drinks.
This is not a wheelchair friendly place.
Main downside was the long walk up and down stairs and corridors to get to rooms unless you are on the front of the building.
The pool is quite nice but small and the gym is great with good up to date equipment.
Overall a nice quiet place to stay on the outskirts of a small village of Matfen = two pubs and one village shop.

Room Tip: Always ask for a front facing room. They may cost more but will be worth the view and the extra spac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our trip advisor website, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall. I am pleased you enjoyed our leisure facilities during your visit.

Although we are a country house hotel, we do have a more modern wing to the hotel, where a lift and bedrooms are available for full wheelchair access, should they be required.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope you will be able to join us again soon.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!