“Hotel excellence”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Hotel excellence”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Four of us, two friends, my wife and I have just spent three days at Matfen Hall and it was excellent in every way. Every member of the staff was always very helpful, welcoming and smiling. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone from the receptionist to the room cleaner. The food was up to 5 star quality presented and served to to a standard which was perfection.
There was one fault in our visit. It snowed and was very cold so we did not get a good look around the area. Good reason to return. Oh yes!!

Room Tip: Every room I saw was good
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LordKilford
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest

I am pleased to confirm the snow has now gone!

It was great to hear how much your party enjoyed their recent stay at Matfen Hall and I thank you for taking the time to share your views on our trip advisor website.

I hope I can look forward to welcoming you all back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Tyneside
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at Matfen on Sunday 17th Feb, our first visit to a hotel highly thought of by friends. The standard room was well heated and the decor subtle. Like another guest, we suffered from a lack of hot water on the Sunday, which the receptionist said was due to a boiler tripping out. The water from the shower was only marginally better the next morning; not good enough IMO.
I had phoned ahead to book a table in the restaurant, but upon arrival, there was no record of my booking. They could accomodate us in the Library, but at a later time than I had originally asked for. No excuse for that I'm afraid.
Quality of the food was good but very much nouvelle cuisine style portion size. If you're an enthusiastic eater, bring some bait with you!

1 Thank TynesideFalcon
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Further to your recent visit to Matfen Hall, I am sorry you had problems with the hot water during your stay. We were experiencing problems with the hot water heating system, which although were rectified the next day, I can fully appreciate how frustrating this must have been!

We do encourage guests to pre-book their dinner reservation in advance of their stay and I can only apologise that your request was not adhered to.

I am surprised you were disappointed with the portion size, however your comments are taken on board and I shall review with my Head Chef.

I do hope you will consider returning to the hotel at some point in the future, where I would welcome the opportunity to restore your ‘faith’ with us.

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

myself and my cousin booked the pamper afternoon, from arriving to leaving the staff were very pleasant. We had full use of the facilities and everything was explained to us. the treatments were fabulous, i had a lovely lady called Jill. it was very relaxing. we then had afternoon tea, finally we had to go back in the hot tub. i wish i had one of those.
Thanks for a lovely afternoon

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank smurfs76
Dear Guest

You are very welcome and I am delighted your cousin and yourself enjoyed your ‘pamper’ afternoon with us.

I will pass on your kind words to Jill and we look forward to you visiting Matfen Hall again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed for one night at Matfen as a sort of hen do with work colleagues. My room was beautiful large and comfortable and easy to find. We had a meal in the Library (I think) which was delicious and the room was fantastic with a great atmosphere. We finished it off with coffees by the log fire which was fab. The next day we had a lovely breakfast followed by a day of pampering and spa treatments, a beautiful lunch (in our robes) and then more relaxation. Absolutely fabulous place with a relaxing atmosphere and lovely staff. Hoping to book up to go back with my husband for my birthday! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lawbird274
Dear Guest

I am so pleased your colleagues and yourself had a wonderful stay at Matfen Hall recently and you were able to relax and enjoy the general ambience of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

DURHAM
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have stayed at Matfen Hall on many occasions and it has always been a very enjoyable relaxing experience, we have loved the rooms, the food, the hotel and its staff. But having just returned from our stay sadly it was a poor experience.
Our room although very clean was the smallest we have had at Matfen with high windows making feel smaller. We returned from a walk and decided that I would have a hot bubble bath before dinner, the bath water was tepid so I called reception but this went to voicemail. After waiting some time I decided to take a shower (also cool and certainly not relaxing!) This got our evening off to a bad start, whilst getting ready we received a call from reception who said they did have a problem maintenance had been called to rectify it but we were about to go for our evening meal so it was too late for us.
We arrived in the drawing room in plenty of time to look at the menu and enjoy a drink but service was slow and it took 25 minutes for this to happen. Although we had booked ahead of time we were dissappointed to find that the library room was full and we were shown to the less atmospheric print room which we shared with two couples, sadly we faced the door and could see no-one. We returned to the empty conservatory for a night cap the barman disappeared so we just had the one drink and sadly off to bed, NOT THE NIGHT WE HAD HOPED FOR AT ALL!
Upon checkout we handed in our customer comments which we had been given with our bill we explained to the receptionist it had been a poor experience she said the hotel was very busy and there had had a problem with the hot water they had had to move 6 guests and we left with her comment that the manager would be in touch, but sadly nobody has.
We have always held Matfen in high esteem but sadly feel let down this time.

Room Tip: Whilst a classic room is adequate an upgraded deluxe is worthwhile
1 Thank DENISE34
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall. I am sorry you were disappointed with various aspects of your stay and I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any problems you experienced.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further and would ask that you contact me direct at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

north east
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Excellent one night stay at Matfen. Staff were friendly, helpful and professional. Food was great. Hotel is just lovely. Stunning setting too. This was our third visit over a couple of years and just as good as first one. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you like old world charm stay in the beautiful rooms overlooking the golf course at the front of...
2 Thank landj123
Dear Guest

I am delighted your recent stay was so enjoyable and your review is greatly appreciated – thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Matfen Hall on many more occasions to come.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed two nights for a valentine break on a bed and breakfast deal in a deluxe room with a bottle of chilled wine in our room on arrival. Our room was very spacious with a huge comfy bed large en-suite bathroom and lovely window seating, everything you need for a break was available in the beautiful room. Breakfast was either a cooked or plenty of continental to choose from which was lovely, would recommend the freshly cooked porridge with warm cream, very filling. On our first night we dined in the conservatory the meal was filling and tasteful, the only downside to dining here was it is a cold room and the weather was awful which made it feel even cooler, its a lovely room for warm summer months. On valentines evening we dined in the fine dining room were there was a set price menu for the evening with a choice of courses which we enjoyed and had a lovely evening with well managed attentive, polite staff.
During the day we used the spa pool and facilities which are a lovely way to spend your days relaxind and unwinding.
We will certainly re-visit matfen sometime in the future and would recommend to family and friends. Thanks to all the hard working staff who made our stay perfect

Room Tip: we were in room 11 we believe is the old part of the hall
2 Thank Young_at_Heart76
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words following your Valentine’s break at Matfen Hall. I will ensure my team are aware of your review as it is just reward for them, when one of guests acknowledges their hard work and commitment – thank you!

We look forward to welcoming your family, friends and yourselves back to Matfen Hall in the near future.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matfen
Langley Castle Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!