We booked through secret escapes and got an incredible deal, even at its own cheaper online rates though this place is incredible value for money. Set in a BEAUTIFUL setting, rooms are maintained to an incredibly high standard, well, ours was anyway. Upgraded to a balcony room which was nice. Staff were extremely helpful and polite.
Food was delicious, breakfast was amazing, choice and quality. We dinned in conservatory whcih was nice, and the library as a treat 1 night which was beyond delicious, my only slight criticism is the expensive wine list, but I guess thats where most places make their money.
Spa area was great, it was quiet for us so we used everything lots, just a shame the tropical shower wasnt really working. We splashed out on a massage each as it was a birthday, and these were of a great standard, very relaxing.
Over all, comfy, friendly, beautiful stay! Will be looking for an excuse to return :)
Oh the only slight annoyance, was the noise from the gym below our rooms, booming music presumably from exercise classes they run there, not a problem really, just took away from the secluded countryside feel a bit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matfen Hall Hotel, Golf and Spa winner of Large Hotel of the Year 2015 at the Visit England Awards is located just 15 miles west of Newcastle in the charming village of Matfen and is the ancestral home of Sir Hugh and Lady Blackett. This stately home is set in 300 acres of parkland and has been a hotel since 1999. Enjoy true Northumbrian hospitality at Matfen Hall Hotel. The Hotel offers 53 bedrooms, individually decorated in traditional and contemporary styles. Our golf estate includes a 27-hole course, par 3 course and driving range. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, LateRooms, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Matfen Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen
- Matfen Hall Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Matfen Hall Northumberland